Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Still torn : Marriott Grand Cayman, Westin, Hyatt

Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

If anyone reading this has been to Seven Mile Beach recently, can you tell me if there's construction going on around any of these properties?
We've stayed at the Marriott twice some years back and both times the beach was wonderful. Reviews have said that the beach is now rocky (Hurricane Ivan's wrath) and not much beachfront? We like a nice sandy beach without having to fight rocks upon walking in. Would you not stay at this hotel? Between the three hotels mentioned above, is the Marriott's beach less desirable than the other two?
The rooms at the Marriott seem to be good sized compared to the Westin and it appears as though the availability of beach unbrellas is plentiful. I cannot bake day after day without some shade.
The Westin seems like a beautiful property, but the size of the rooms is somewhat concerning and the hotel doesn't seem to provide shade coverage on the beach except for " very few" larger cabanas (tents) and there's a charge!? Can't they do better than that? We're not talking about a budget property; can't they invest in some umbrellas?
Hyatt suites seem appealing, but since part of the hotel has not been rebuilt, aren't there some voids in service, amenities, what's available, etc.? I've also read that cruise ships flock in next to the Hyatt which might not be the best.
It's difficult to make a decision between these properties. The hotel we choose must be a beachfront property. Thanks in advance.
Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:23 AM

They are three very different properties.

All of the resorts have great beaches (it anything the beach is even better post-Ivan), to make a comparison though the beach at the Marriott is not too deep (hotel to ocean) and comes and goes with the seasons.

THe Westin has by far the best (and biggest beach of the three)

The Hyatt has only a small beach, but then again it only has 53 suites.

I would not worry about lack of service at the Hyatt, they are fine in that area, and in fact have two restaurants on site.. both excellent quality (I'm having dinner at one tomorrow!)

I'd read reviews on TripAdvisor etc (taking the best and worst with a pinch of salt as usual), then make the call.

As to beach umbrellas, I really don't know the current answer, best email the hotels for that info. Personally I also tend to judge hotels by how quickly and effectively they respond to email, so that is another measure for you.

Otehr subjective notes given that you have stayed at the Marriott before... they did a major refurb and upgrade after Ivan, so the hotel and rooms are better than ever... but then as the Hyatt is now only operating 53 rooms and (depending on the time of year) can offer quite attractive rates for what you get for the money, I'd also consider that option. The Westin is (to my knowledge) little changed in recent years, and so I guess is a known quantity to you as a past visitor to Cayman.

Hope that helps.