Marriott vs Westin on Grand Cayman

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

booked a last minute trip to Grand Cayman. Leaving this Friday (1/2)for 5 nights with our kids ages 18, 21, 24. Any opinions on Marriott vs. Westin?
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 02:26 PM

Both are good, but look around for more personal responses from the many posters on this board that go to Grand Cayman more often than I do.

I prefer the Westin because the beach is usually better there. The Marriott is right at the end of the nice, sandy part of Seven Mile Beach, and the beach often erodes there, but I haven't actually seen it with my own eyes for a couple of years. But my experience is that the Marriott is generally a much better deal.
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 05:31 PM

The Marriott is much closer to the cruise area and the beach there isn't as good.

The Westin is in a good beach position.

The Westin looked nicer (we didn't stay there but drove by both). In terms of walkable restaurant options, that is also in favor of the Westin.
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 06:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed at the marriott and enjoyed the hotel. The beach was smaller than I expected but fine. I believe the westin is much larger and and probably has more amenities. Either one would be fun
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 09:49 AM

We stayed at the Marriot in Feb. 07 and loved it. The beach was narrower, but plenty nice, and you can walk the length of 7 mile beach. It is not close to the cruise ships. There was very good snorkeling right in front of the Marriot. We were there for my niece's wedding. She stayed at the Marriot and the Westin, and much preferred the Marriot. She thought the rooms were much nicer/bigger especially for the money. Either way I'm sure you'll enjoy!
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 02:43 PM

We found the Westin hotel and staff to be a disappointment. Yes, the beach is one of the best in GC, and it is well located.
However, the dining staff pretty much came to work whenever they felt like it. And the waiters catered to the single women. If you were a couple, you either got things on your own (silverware, etc.)or you almost had to physically grab the waiters. Our first night there, I had an asthma attack due to all the mold in the room and was told that I might be able to get a different room the next day. This was unbelievable to us. The concierge was completely ignorant as to restaurants on the island EXCEPT Deckers.
Go to the Marriott.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 04:07 PM

I've stayed at both and for the money I like the Marriott. As the others have observed, the beach at the Marriott is not nearly as nice as the one at the Westin - not even close. That said, it is fine. The Marriott pool is also not as nice, but perfectly fine.

I found my room at the Marriott to be just as nice as the one I had at the Westin and the Marriott restaurants are also just as nice as those at the Westin.

Westin is closer to the supermarket and some other places, but not really a big deal.

Assuming the price is much less at Marriott, I would return in a heartbeat.