Search

Hudson Valley hotel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hudson Valley hotel

Has anyone been to the Dolce Tarrytown Hotel and what do you think?
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 08:03 PM

I would also like to know what people think of the Dolce Tarrytown now. I'm trying to decide between this place and the Hilton Tarrytown or the Marriott. Reviews on the Hilton have not been good but one person I know was negative about the Dolce, but her information may be old. I can't seem to find any b and bs in Tarrytown.
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 04:01 AM

We were at the Hilton T'town last year (via Priceline). Typical large suburban hotel; nothing really special about it, tho there was a pleasant courtyard garden.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 08:21 AM

I've been to both. Mostly, I go during the summer because both have indoor & outdoor swimming pools (Hilton is mych nicer). The Hilton is looking better these days than it has in a while, but it's a bit of an oddity among Hiltons--it's a low rise hotel with several entrances (but not motel style--all room entries are from indside hallways) Quite spread out. The draw is the courtyard with pool, tennis courts.

The Tarrytown house is a corporate retreat facility, so if you go weekdays (or even weekends, sometimes) there will be groups of bankers running around! The facility is also spread out on beautiful grounds and has both standard hotel rooms and some (much more expensive, I thought ) in a historic mansion on the site.
Both are good solid places, but I guess it depends what you're looking for and what the rates are at each
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 01:46 PM

Janie, thanks for your response. I need to be there in Dec. for a long weekend so swimming' s not important. The price is very close between the two (as long as you're not in the historic part). I'm leaning towards the Dolce because it seems that it has more amenities and restaurants and rooms with a view of the river (not sure if the Hilton has that). Do you think a woman alone will be comfortable there? Easy parking? Are restaurants nearby either place?
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 08:31 AM

Clematis, the two placea re virtually across the street/road from each other. The Hilton is actually closer to the river but it's only 2 stories tall so I've never seen any river views! Frankly I'm surprised that any of The Tarrrytown House rooms would have views either.Both have their own parking facilities, so that's not a problem, and I don't see a problem with either place for a single woman. Out of curiosity -- what additional "amenities" does the Tarrytown House offer?

As far as I remember the Tarrytown house doesn't have more than one restaurant (plus a pub)-. The Hilton has a couple of rooms, but basically it's all the same restaurant. Right across from the Hilton is a diner, but anything else would be a mile or 2 up the road in "downtown" Tarrytown--lots of choices there.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 09:50 PM

Hi Janie. I guess I thought from the website there might be more amenities - the fitness area with jacuzzi, etc. as well as the bowling, high speed internet wireless access... Turns out the bowling is the pub so it may be small. You are right, in Dec the third restaurant on the weekends is not open. They do offer river views but now you have me wondering how good that can be - how many floors are there if you're not in the historic house? The photos of the rooms look better at the dolce but you've been both places, how did the rooms compare to you? Thanks.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 08:41 AM

Clematis, the Hilton also has a nice indoor pool area with hot tub and a few bicycles/treadmills. It's like an indoor glassed-in gazebo--the area is 'carpeted ' with astroturf, and the lounge chairs are big plush upholstered ones, not plastic, and there's a skylight. There's also a sauna in the changing room there (which has showers, too.)
Honestly I don't remember the specific rooms at Tarrytown House--it was a couple of years ago, but they were comparable to the Hilton rooms. Personally, I still wouldn't count on the river view being much--you're better off getting that view from outside. For example, across the street from Tarrytown House is Lyndhurst, a historic mansion with beautiful grounds and you can walk down the hill in front of the house a get a spectacular river and Tappan Zee Bridge view.
I almost mentioned the Bowling alley in my last post but decided to leave it out. It's really just a curiosity--a single lane in the dowstairs pub, just to show you how rich some people were/are! It was fun, but not something to count on (only one, after all).
I think both are solid places and a nice place to relax--thy're very popular with people from NYC even though it's only 20 miles away
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 12:11 PM

Janie, thank you so much for your help. If you think of anything else, I'm at [email protected]. Really appreciate this.
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 04:33 PM
vcl

I was very disappointed in the Dolce Tarrytown when I stayed there last year. The indoor pool and jacuzzi are quite small and unsupervised. We were literally chased from the pool by a bunch of children who thought it was a great place to play ball. Not a parent in sight.

The principal dining room is lovely with great views, but they rent it out for wedding receptions and close it to hotel guests. When we made dinner reservations, we were not informed that we would be shunted off to a standard hotel function room set up with folding tables and uncomfortable banquet chairs.

In a few words, our experience at Dolce was far from sweet. We would not stay there again.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 11:44 PM

Thank you vcl... that helps.