Hubbys Surprise Bday Trip to Chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello...I am taking my husband to Chicago for a short bday trip...Im needing ideas of what to do.
I have decided to book us on one of the 2 hr double decker bus tours.....yeah or nay?
We have visited a couple years ago with our small children so looking for some adult things...which museum is recommended as a must? How about the aquarium? Any certain restaurants to try for a nice dinner?
We aren't bar goers so looking for other things to do
We will be arriving via Amtrak so will have 2.5 days to enjoy the city...

Thank you
Old May 1st, 2012, 12:46 AM

I recommend these places of attraction:
Millennium Park
A view of Navy Pier's Festival Hall looking west
Navy Pier
Skydeck Chicago's The Ledge
The newly restored Tiffany Dome at the Chicago Cultural Center
Chicago Cultural Center
Old May 1st, 2012, 04:50 AM

The Art Institute is excellent.

Instead of the bus tour, how about the Architecture Foundation River Cruise?
Old May 1st, 2012, 06:44 AM

With 2.5 days, you should be able to see a couple of museums. The top ones for me, in order of preference, were: 1) Museum of Science and Industry, 2) Art Institute and 3) Field Museum or Shedd Aquarium (toss-up). Since you've visited Chicago previously, you probably already know to get to the museums when they open as they get crowded fast!

I also think the Architecture Foundation River Cruise would be better than the double decker bus tour.

We had a fun evening at Second City. If you are there on a Monday night, the Improv All-Stars show is real improv and tickets are less than $20 each.
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:01 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
If you take the bus tour, be prepared to spend a lot of time sitting in traffic. The AF river cruise is excellent.
Restaurants? What type of food do you enjoy? Chicago has it all.
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:04 AM

It's impossible to recommend a restaurant without knowing your budget or food likes/dislikes. You can check www.chicagoreader.com or www.chicagomag.com and search listings by neighborhood, cuisine or price.

As for museums, what are your interests? In addition to those already mentioned, there's the Oriental Institute on the campus of University of Chicago, the Chicago History Museum in Lincoln Park and the Frank Lloyd Wright District in nearby Oak Park.

If you're trying to have an adult weekend without kids, do not go to Navy Pier. I'd also avoid the Skydeck at Willis Tower. Instead, you can head to the lounge on the 96th floor of the Hancock Building for a cocktail, watch the sunset over the city, then go someplace for dinner. The restaurant in the Hancock is just so-so for the price and there are better places a short walk away.
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Original Poster

Ok, so we arrive Monday and will go to second city improv that night. Tuesday we will be going in the Architectural Cruise and the Field Museum. I'm also thinking about the Willis tower sky deck on Monday afternoon-.

For meals we will be going to Genos East before we leave to come home....I've been wanting to try the cheesecake factory so that will be a lunch

I'm wanting Tuesday night to be a nice steak dinner for the hubby. That's what he likes...I prefer a chicken dish. I am wanting this to be an experience so not concerned about the cost.....

Any other suggestions are great!

Thank you all