How to spend 5 days in or around Homer?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be spending the first full week of April in Homer visiting a friend who recently took a job at one of the radio stations there. I've never been to Alaska and am coming to you for suggestions of places to occupy my time. I'd really like to do some bear viewing, but I now realize this isn't prime time for that. I've gone through the visitor guide sent to me by the Homer Chamber of Commerce and many of the online sites. It looks like it will be tough to cram all of it in.

So, I'll tell you a little about me in hopes of hearing your thoughts on activities that would be of interest.

I'm a 30-year-old single male. I currently live in Clearwater, Florida. I'm easy-going and enjoy outdoors activities like day hikes and observing wildlife. I'm not a night-owl, but I do look forward to opportunities to meet locals in an atmosphere where conversation doesn't require shouting at the top of my lungs. I appreciate good jazz, bluegrass, a great hamburger washed down with a cold beer, friendly faces, exploring local culture, walking streets with no destination in mind, and a break from the ordinary.

So, there you go. (I hope that didn't sound too much like a personal ad.) While my primary purpose is to visit an old friend, I don't want to take him away from his work the whole time I'm there. I may rent a car for a couple of days and visit outlying areas. I look forward to hearing what Homer has for me.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 05:56 PM

You will love Alaska and you would be wise to rent a car and do a little exploring. Homer is a very nice place to visit. Make sure to take in the scenery on the bay, especially all the eagles! Go out to Homer Spit (your friend will know where this is) there are quaint shops and restaurants and there are also fishing excursions that you might enjoy.
Make sure to go to Seward. I'd highly recommend taking the cruises that leave from the boardwalk. They range form 2.5 hr. bay cruises to 8 hour glacier cruises. If these are running that time of year, I would not miss taking one of them.
You would also enjoy the Sealife Center in Seward. It's small, but very worth it. If you get the chance, go to Exit Glacier. You can get up close and personal with a fantastic glacier. It's an easy 1/2 mile hike. Whatever you do, I know you'll be very glad you went to Alaska. It's truly an experience like no other. Also, do yourself a big favor. Get yourself a copy of The Milepost. This is the bible of things to do in Alaska, and is worth the investment. It runs about $25.00 and can be found at most of your major bookstores.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 11:26 PM

No bears in April. I would definatly rent a car, yes perhaps head to Seward- I believe only the gray whale watches are running that early?? Also Exit Glacier probably not real accessable? Homer has an excellent art gallery. Depending on how much time you want away from your friend- I would head north to perhaps Talkeetna- another small real Alaska town. Perhaps look at flightseeing from Anchorage. Northern Lights should be viewable.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 03:50 AM

Homer has a great museum.
www.prattmuseum.org
First week of April could be snow and ice on the roads. Before leaving Anchorage make sure you get information on the Sterling Highway as it is a season for avalanches and the road may be blocked off.
Once you get there you should be able to see hundreds of bald eagles on the Spit but you are not allowed to get out of the car and get too close to them. You will be able to get some great shots from your car.

Visit Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge. Newly open last Fall their visitor center is located on Sterling Highway.
They sponsore the Kachemak Bay Shorebird Festival but I think it is in May.
Maybe they will have some activities but I doubt as Homer is asleep in April. Our friends who live there go to Hawaii for a whole month of April.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 05:06 AM

How nice to have a friend that lives in Homer Alaska to go visit. Halibut fishing is a lot of fun but, I don't know if they go out in April. We went and caught our limit then had plenty of fillets of fresh fish. You could take the fish back to share with your friend.There's a bar with tons of character on the spit and I can't remember the name. I do remember they have dollars bills tacked on every inch of the walls. It's called Salty something maybe Salty Dog, I can't remember for sure.I understand if you pass out while you're there, they take your shoes and nail them to the ceiling. We also took a tour boat over to Halibut Cove and that has alot of local artist shops plus beautiful scenery. I had the best dinner of my life there with barbecue king salmon, pickled halibut and great deserts. We drove around and saw alot of moose in the area. I also, agree with going over to Seward and exit glacier. We hiked the Harding Icefield but, that took nine hours, it was great though. You could take in a boat tour out to the calving glaciers in Seward and see alot of wildlife there as well. You will be there in April so, I'm not sure of the weather at that time or tour operations. We were there in July so, that may make a difference. Homer is just beautiful! Have a great time.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 05:15 AM

All activities Trisha lists are great but nothing is available in April except the Salty Dog and maybe they are not even open in April.

Enjoy Winter-Spring scenery and have fun with your friend. There is a good library in Homer and they may have some activities as well. Do not forget to take your warm clothes or you can buy them in Anchorage. On the way to/from Homer stop in Kenai to see the Russian church and village. They should be open for viewing if not ask at the visitor center who has a key.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 03:50 AM

You won't be able to do bear watching in April but around that time Homer hosts "Bear Festival."
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 04:17 AM

Is the Salty Dog the bar where Hobo Jim sings? If you visit Anchorage Daily News website www.adn.com there is a link to a calendar of events. There is also a local Kenai area newspaper on-line. If you are a member of any organization, check that organization's website to see if there is a local meeting you can attend. Do a google search on Eagle Lady of Homer. You might be a little late for prime viewing of the eagles that winter in the area but you will still see eagles. Hope you have a great visit!
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 06:56 AM

Being from Florida also (West Palm Beach), the feel of Homer seemed to us to be like Alaska's Key West. Anyway, there is a lot to do in Homer. The museum is a good suggestion, as well as the various boat excursions (both going around the bay and fishing). We stayed at the Land's End Resort, which is at the end of the Homer Spit. It has a bar/restaurant overlooking the bay that was pretty decent. We also enjoyed hiking Bishop's Beach - lots (not hundreds) of bald eagles, otters, etc. If you hike down to coal point during an ultra low tide, there are a lot of sea creatures to see in the tide pools.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 07:01 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
"Alaska's Key West..." Wait, I'm writing that down...
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 07:31 AM

No boat excursions (both going around the bay and fishing) in APRIL.