How to pack/ship a dress for a wedding

Old Aug 15th, 2006, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to pack/ship a dress for a wedding

My girlfriend and I are flying Southwest Airlines for her son's wedding. As the mother of the groom, she bought a new, expensive dress but is concerned about how to get it up there without it getting all wrinkled or lost. I also would prefer not to get my suit wrinkled.
Does Southwest have a rack in front for passengers' jackets or, in this case, a dress on a hanger (in a protective bag)? Are garment bags still allowed as carry-ons even though they are larger than the dimensions Southwest lists for carry-ons on its web site?
Has anyone had good (or bad)luck shipping something important to his or her destination ahead of time, and if so, what shipper did you use?
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 06:11 AM

There is a thread that I topped for you about this issue. I hope it helps.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 06:16 AM

Here's the thread no name refers to, but frankly I don't think it offers much specific help for you.
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34791108

Most airlines would probably oblige in their business or first class cabin. Unfortunately, Southwest doesn't have any upperclass cabins and I've never seen any place on a SW plane to hang clothes.

I'd say your best bet is to pack both outfits in plastic, put them in your suitcase and be prepared to have them steamed out when you arrive by a professional. If the dress won't fit in a suitcase, I'd consider shipping it on ahead.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 06:17 AM
GoTravel

Do not chance the airlines having a place for you to hang the suit and the MOTG dress. You could very easily end up having to check both the suit and the dress and your luggage could end up lost.

I would ship the clothes via Fed Ex to someone who is already in the location who can hang them for you.

Again, do not chance Southwest being able to hang your clothes.

Old Aug 15th, 2006, 09:36 AM

I remember Alan King telling a story about having to fly cross country to accept some sort of award. the airline talked him into checking the garment bag with his tux since the first class hanging bag slot was alredy full. He did. They lost the tux.
He had to accept the award in an ill-fiting rental.

If this stuff matters either carry it on folded in a regular bag - and assume you will have steamed on the spot - of ship ahed via FedEx - far enough ahead to ensure delivery before you fly out. And again - assume it will have to be steamed.

Air travel simply is not designed to accomodate formal wear.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 09:39 AM

I like GoT's idea and will use it myself if ever the need arises.

Additionally, once the package reaches it's destination, someone could always take it to be pressed, etc.

Good idea GoT.