Dressing up for long-haul flights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there ever an advantage to dressing up for a long-haul flight (by that I mean more than 8 hours or so, and particularly international)?

It used to be that everybody who flew dressed up; those days are long gone. And if I am going to be on a plane for 12 hours or more, I certainly want to be comfortable. But are there situations one might encounter, especially when traveling internationally, in which being dressed up (e.g., coat & tie for a man, a nice dress or skirt for a lady) is beneficial?

For example, I have read that in the past (not so sure about the present) being nicely dressed made upgrades from coach to business or first more likely. With so many elite-level FFs I'm not sure true that is. But that's not quite what I meant.

I was thinking more of dealing with situations like canceled flights or missing luggage, or special requests that might be out of the ordinary. Or even things like is a well-dressed person more likely to have an overweight bag "forgiven" than a casually-dressed one?

Are there certain airlines and/or regions of the world where this is more true than others?

(Of course—and I might be wrong—I would think a person who is casually dressed, even in shorts or sweats, but is calm and polite is likely to be treated better than a well-dressed person who is rude and obnoxious. I suppose there could be places where that is, unfortunately, not true.)

Just curious.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 12:00 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, I think demeanor is infinitely more effective in the situations you mention than a suit & tie. Being reasonable a polite under duress is the better approach although tidy, I think, has it's effect also. The criteria for upgrades is one's ff status with the airline and there's a long line for those. I think the benefits of dressing comfortably outweigh any other possibilities.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 12:12 PM

Not to sound snippy but you are living in a dream world.

If you are not an elite level FF your chances of being upgraded are very, very slim regardless of how you are dressed. Even elite level FF flyers are never assured of getting an upgrade. Upgrades are given out FIRST on the bases of elite status level (i.e. Executive Platinum, Platinum, Gold and finally no status, in that order) regardless of how you are dressed. And by the way, being nicely dressed and telling the ticket agent it's your birthday, your 50th wedding anniversary or you are on your honeymoon won't get you more than a "congratulations and a smile". If you want a business class seat the best way to insure you'll get one is to purchase it.

Dressing up won't get you any breaks when it comes to your luggage. Once your bag is checked and put on the conveyor belt no one, including he baggage handlers will know or even care how you are dressed and if your luggage is going to get lost it's going to get lost no matter how you are dressed. If your luggage s lost or misplaced how you are dressed will have no bearing on whether or not it will be located. You'll still have to wait in line, fill out the appropriate paperwork and let the system work to find your bag.

Same with an overweight bag - you are at the mercy of the agent - if your bag is overweight it's overweight and if the ticket agent decides to strictly enforce the weight rules nothing you say or do or how you are dressed is going to get him/her to change their mind. To avoid any problems with overweight bags simply weigh your bag before you leave home. If it is overweight take out a few items.

So, the answer to your question is you don't have to "dress up" for a long haul flight. Instead dress comfortably, you'll be glad you did. By the way, comfortably doesn't mean "sloppy".
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 12:12 PM

In the far distant past, there were stories of well-dressed people getting upgrades. No more. But being neatly dressed as opposed to very sloppy/ripped/dirty clothing may be helpful (in conjunction with a good attitude) may make you less likely to get hassled by customs, etc, or easier to get a taxi in places where there is not a clear taxi line.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, especially Kathie (for the two concrete examples of how dress might influence treatment).

As I indicated in the original post, I was NOT asking about how to get an upgrade. I was merely noting (or at least thought I was) that in the past at least, how a person was dressed could have a bearing on getting an upgrade, and I was looking for other examples.

My basic question remains—simply because I am curious—whether personnel with certain airlines and/or in certain countries/regions are more likely to offer you better service because of how you are dressed. I could even expand it to "does service/treatment sort of follow a scale of "dress clothes > business casual > jeans > shorts?" (> is "greater than", not an arrow)

By the way, I dress neatly when I fly, and rest assured that I don't intend to start wearing gym shorts or even what are basically pajamas just so that I am comfortable (I actually have seen passengers dressed that way).
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 01:31 PM

Wear what is comfortable for you, and that includes how you like to be seen out in public. For years I obsessed over what to wear on the plane (which was an infrequent occurrence at that time) so I started to take note of what other women were wearing. The ones that caught my attention were invariably tall, slim, and wore scarves. So what's a short, plump person like myself to do? I bought some scarves. ;-)

I still find it challenge to dress for a long flight, particularly when going from one climate to another. My strategy: wear shoes that can be slipped on and off so you don't have do a pretzel to get your footwear back on before deplaning. And pack a no-wrinkle skirt in your carry on, ideally one that you can pull on, so you can slip your slacks off discreetly if the washroom is occupied. A pashima or similar large scarf dresses up an outfit and can double as a headscarf, shawl, and light blanket.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 02:08 PM

I used to travel with my scuba club several times a year. We had one guy in our group who just looked scruffy. Unshaven, cut-off shorts, old concert t-shirts, hair was about 6 months overdue for a cut, beat-up flip flops. Never mind that he was college educated and gainfully employed. He was hassled by Customs every single time. It kind of became a running joke to see if we could make it to our rented van without waiting for him to get practically strip searched. We could not convince him that it was simply his appearance.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 02:23 PM

"My basic question remains...whether personnel with certain airlines and/or in certain countries/regions are more likely to offer you better service because of how you are dressed."

I thought we answered that but I'll say again, it's how you treat the airline personnel and how much you've paid for your ticket that determine how you are treated. Everywhere (the exception being some Asian airlines offer everyone better service due to cultural differences). I'm sure, too, if you're well dressed you may still be treated badly in some instances.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 04:11 PM

As mentioned, airlines have a whole formula for determining who gets upgraded. Dressing up has nothing to do with it. Some airlines, such as American, will let premium-class seats go out empty rather than bump people up willy-nilly.

There's an old episode of the Andy Griffith Show where Aunt Bee wins a trip to Mexico and takes a couple of her friends along. Andy and Opie take them to the airport to see them off. Andy and Opie wear suits and ties just to do that and they're not even the ones flying. That was definitely another era.

Dress comfortably and neatly.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 06:27 PM

I've seen business people board a long haul flight in their business attire; but they have their comfy clothes in a carry-on, and as soon as they can, they change into something much more comfortable for the flight. They may/may not jump back into their business clothes before landing, depending on the arrival circumstances (ie... a meeting right away, or being met by someone from the company one might be visiting on the trip)
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

(Sigh)

I know dressing well doesn't get you an upgrade. I know airlines treat people who fly lots of miles with them and/or pay a lot for their tickets better.

I suppose I should have asked "Are there places where or airlines on which, ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL, how you dress affects how you are treated?" So for example, if you have a problem (like a canceled flight or a missed connection) or an issue where an agent can choose to "flex" things or not (an overweight bag, cutting things close time-wise), does being well-dressed work in your favor? Or, in a related vein, does being poorly dressed work against you?

txgirlinbda (and Kathie, after a fashion) gave real examples of how non-airline personnel sometimes treat you worse when you are dressed poorly. Looks like no one has any examples of being well-dressed working in someone's favor. I didn't figure that would be the case much in the US, but thought it might be in some other cultures (where appearances might be more of an indicator of status, and therefore might bring deferential, if not preferential, treatment).

(By the way, from what I have read it seems there are some airlines/cultures on/in which being male gets you better treatment, to cite another variable.)

Thanks for replying.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 09:24 PM

Your request is too hypothetical and the variables too vast.

Choosing to "flex things or not" almost certainly has more to do with the look on your face as you walk up to the counter or whether they made love with their partner this morning than if your jacket is well tailored.

I mentioned cultural differences earlier. On some airlines - Thai & Singapore come to mind - company employees are virtually always helpful and pleasant. But it has nothing whatever to do with how a person dresses. It's like the marketing for Thailand, Land of Smiles. It's just how they behave as a culture whether they think well of you or not.

If you gave any indication of where you're going with this line of questioning instead of being frustrated with the inadequate answers you might get some that would satisfy you more. But maybe not. We could just as well say human nature is such that people anywhere are apt to behave in a more civilized manner toward people who present themselves well, having nothing whatever to do with airlines.
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 02:52 AM

I was upgraded to Business from Miami to London, Bangkok to London and Zurich to Miami. None of these flights were on U.S. airlines. Flying alone was the reason, I think. However, on the last flight (Zurich to Miami with Swiss) I remember the check-in clerk asking the woman next to her a question, she looked at me and said yes. Since then, I avoid jeans, which are really not comfortable for a long flight.

These types of upgrades are only going to happen when the economy class is over sold.
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

<<Your request is too hypothetical and the variables too vast.>>

I suppose so, MmePerdu. It really WAS just a hypothetical question, not really directed toward a specific trip.

There are some situations in which being well-dressed is a help (and others a hindrance). Flying does not seem to fit those categories.

'Nuff said.

(Except now I am curious why you are not MmePerdue; do you get asked a lot?)
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 06:19 AM

"...curious why you are not MmePerdue; do you get asked a lot?"

Never before. An entirely different word.
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

"An entirely different word."

I wasn't sure if it were an adjective (in which case the 'e') or an actual family name.
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 07:00 AM

"Perdu is a French word that means lost or hidden." Wikipedia
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 07:36 AM

Wikipedia, then, would obviously have no problem with the grammar-offending sentence "Madame est perdu," which is Cranachin's question/point.
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 08:04 AM

"...Cranachin's question/point."

Is it?
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

MmePerdu, DonTopaz is correct (about my questions, anyway!). I knew 'perdu' = lost. But I figured it would be 'Perdue' with Madame, unless it were a family name.

Results of a brief Google search seem to indicate that one can write both 'Madame est perdu' and 'Madame est perdue', so maybe it doesn't follow normal grammar rules. Or is one 'lost' as in 'can't find the store' and the other 'existentially lost, at wit's end, unable to function, etc."?

There's also a band called Madame Perdu. Are you a fan? (Or maybe a member?!?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -