How to Kill Time Overnite in NYC?

Old Aug 15th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Kill Time Overnite in NYC?

I arrive in Manhattan at 2:30am on a Sunday morning, but cannot check into hotel until about 1pm. How can I enjoyably kill time until about 6 or 7am Sunday? I'll be on foot or subway or taxi. I could settle for parking in an all-nite diner, but I'd rather find a gathering place but not too much like a lizard-strewn bar. Can U recommend a fun or welcoming, low-key all-nite bar or restaurant? Not crowded & over the top. Emphasis on Friendliness & Sociability. Need not be Manhattan. Any other venue besides that? Any late-nite star-gazing or 5K runs??? Other outside events in this nice weather? Even an all-nite church in mid-service service if it's curious enough! I doubt there are any all-nite theaters. I could consider a niteclub, but not too loudly throbbing with young heaving club-goers. I'm fairly familiar with Manhattan below 34th St & with hip enclaves of Brooklyn. A place that can let me leave my suitcase in a safe place would be nice, but not necessary. For that matter, are there any all-nite left-luggage places in Manhattan? Also welcome suggestions on out-of-the-ordinary things to do in NYC. Pretty or colorful neighborhoods to walk or bike in? What are the best parts of Jackson Heights to explore? I discovered Forest Hills Gardens & was enchanted. Can U recommend any walking tours? Old NYC history is one interest.
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 08:18 PM

Spring for a room with a shared bath at the Jane hotel (usually around $99) and get some sleep.
Old Aug 16th, 2014, 03:47 AM

Agree - wandering NYC from 3 in the morning with luggage is NOT the way to go.

Yes, there are some 24 hour diners - but how many cups of coffee can you order.

You can find clubs (most close by 4 am and then it's "after hours" but they are liable to be expensive and won't have a safe place for luggage.

there may well be a 24 hour movie - showing what??? - but where do you put luggage and find it when you get back?

And subway or buses to residential areas are likely to be running on very sparse schedules in the middle of the night.
Old Aug 16th, 2014, 03:50 AM

Hotel 17 in the East Village is another good place for a room at around $100 with shared bath.
Old Aug 16th, 2014, 05:57 AM

1) any legal hotel will let you drop your bags off and store them at any hour
2) while check in may be at 1pm, many hotels may be able to offer you a room before that if it's available.
You should first check with your hotel to see if they can oblige.

The Staten Island Ferry runs all night but in the wee hours, maybe only every 30-60 mins. Check their schedule. A roundtrip (free) is one way to kill an hour.

Menupages.com
Has a features menu which allows you to pick restaurantsthat are open 24/7 once you pick an area of the city.

From a simple google search, I found this list of things
http://www.nycgo.com/slideshows/24-hour-nyc
Old Aug 19th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your suggestions & advice. I was not familiar with those hotels. The ferry is an intriguing idea on a nite with a cool ocean breeze. McLaurie's 24-hour New York list wins my gratitude for the all-nite Murray Hill hardware & the all-nite bowling in Flushing, among a few other choices.