Search

How to change airline seat location?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 04:47 PM
lrm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to change airline seat location?

I just found out that due to Northwest cutting flights and changing our flights 2x, we now have the worst seats on the plane. Does anyone know the best way to get them changed? I was told that 40% of the seats are held until check-in begins. When I asked about the fact that the website says I can change via internet check-in, I was told I had to be a "Platinum, etc member--but the website doesn't say this. Help!
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 05:32 PM

I'm not sure about getting them changed in advance if you're not a frequent flyer. When you check in at the ticket counter, you can request a seat change then. Northwest is notorious for bad customer service. Good luck!
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 05:42 PM

United did this to me with a change of equipment and I only found out about it less than a week before departure. I raised holy hell over the phone, saying I had chosed the seats I did for specific reason and they were changed without my knowledge and through no fault of my own. At first I got the same run-around about waiting until I checked in, etc. etc. etc. and I asked to speak to the supervisor. Eventually I got the seat changed on 3 of the four legs but since the remaining flight was completely sold out, I had no choice but to get to the airport just that much earlier to raise hell with the poor check-in agent.

Clarification: I don't exactly yell and stamp my feet, I just speak very very purposively and try to sound like I MIGHT yell and stamp my feet but I'm willing to be civil and reasonable if all is taken care of.

Good luck with Northwest -- everyone will probably tell you some variation on the same theme: keep asking, try to get to a supervisor or someone with the power to change the seats, be calm but persistent, keep trying.

And maybe it won't go as badly as I hear it often does on NW.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 05:43 PM

"chosen" is the proper form, not "chosed" -- or is it "choosed"? "chazen" -- Note to self: EDIT before you post.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 07:29 PM

If you know your locator code I THINK you can change your seats via the net with NW but ONLY 24 hours before departure. At least it used to be this way!!
Try it and good luck.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 07:35 PM

soccr,
chosed reminds me of my son saying he droove down the road
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 08:34 PM

Airlines do not hold 40% of the seats until check-in. Generally they hold bulkhead and "premium" seats.
I find it strange that NW will not let you change if there are seats available... AA always lets me change, not matter what the fare basis or AAdvantage status is (my family has no premium status). I can do it or my travel agent does it.
The worst seats on the plane are the middle seats on 3 seat rows. It can only get worse if the middle seat does not recline.
It's possible that NW has blocked all the premium seats and the only thing that remains is the middle seats so there is nothing better to give you.
I would just keep calling every day... eventually you will score.
You might also try writing a note via the website. I have had great luck doing "impossible" things with a well written email.
Good luck.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 01:37 AM

IRM,Go to the Northwest Airlines website and fill in the Info that says'Check in for your flight' from there you will be able to pick your own seats! Good luck,Debbie
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 03:28 AM

Irm, if you have an e-ticket that you purchased through the Northwest website, you should be able to go in and change the seats online by signing in to Northwest reservations, bringing up your itinerary and going to the "seat selection" section. Have you already called in (1-800-225-2525) with your flight record number and been told that you could NOT change?

It's true that there are certain sections of seats that are set aside for elites; generally forward rows. If you want (or are required, for some reason) to hold off until using online checkin, remember that you can do that up to 30 hours before your flight. That should give you a better selection than anyone who is simply planning to head to the airport early.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 03:45 AM

Oh, one little caveat here: if your ticket is actually a code share and not entirely on an actual Northwest (or Northwest Airlink -- Mesaba or Pinnacle) metal, that often DOES have an impact on your ability to change seats prior to actually checking in at the airport. If that's your situation, it MAY be possible to work through the partner airline directly on seat selection (say, Continental, if that's the case.)
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 05:51 AM

I frequently fly NW and I have always used the on-line check-in to change seat assignments. I'm flying on NW later today and was surprised to see all premium and emergency rows seats filled (according to passenger symbol that NW uses) at the 30 hr pre-flight time limit. Emergency rows seats have always been indicated as open until assigned by an agent. Only middle seats in 3 across pattern were open for the flight I'm taking. Is this something new with NW?
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 07:03 AM

I know with Delta they show lots of seats not available on their website but are actually just saved in case Platinum, etc. frequent fliers request them. We have changed seats frequently at check-in since many times these seats aren't claimed. Good luck.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Cassandra

Now that USAir and UA have a lot of codeshare flights, USAir now designates the first several rows as if it were United's "Economy Plus" section, available only to premier travelers. This annoys me considerably, esp. since I've been flying USAir in preference to United precisely because United blocks out all seats in front of the wing.

Old Jun 7th, 2003, 01:20 PM

We fly on NWA a lot and usually have no trouble changing our seats. We have done it on the internet but also in a few cases have had to wait til we get to the airport and change them. It usually is no problem. I would call and ask for a supervisor in your situation tho - it usually helps. Do not scream and yell as it gets you no where. Be pleasant but persistent and it usually works. Good luck! I have never seen NWA Exit rows assigned before the flight unless it is a connecting flight or a traveler has been given exit aisles on both outbound and return flights when checking in with agent. We did get exit rows assigned (at the airport) on one round trip flight when we talked to the agent and he saw both of us. We also have lots of miles on NWa so that may have helped.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 04:48 PM
lrm
Original Poster

I appreciate all your replies. I did speak with a supervisor (after holding for 20 min) and although it was a somewhat congenial conversation, I was not able to change seats. I may be able to change one or 2 at the airport. The seats are held for disabled passengers, minors, Platinum members, etc. and I was told I would not be able to change seats online (although the site says you can).
I will learn from this experience and hope not to repeat it. Maybe I will have better luck at the airport.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Jed

Irm - After you return, please come back to this post and tell us what happened.