Row in front of Exit Door

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be flying South African Airways and for the return flight home they put me in row 44, which is right in front of the exit row. My question is, will my seat be able to recline?

Thanks so much.
Anita
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:41 AM

Probably not if its the window exit row.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, dutyfree. Looks like I will have to change it at the airport counter.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 03:53 PM
P_M

I learned the hard way--not only did my seat not recline but I had a lot less legroom.

Why are you waiting to change seats at the airport? By then the flight could be full. The longer you wait to make this change, the less likely you will be to get a better seat. You really need to call the airline or go on line immediately and ask for another seat.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

P-M,

The reason I have to wait is because I am on a tour and they buy the seats in bulk, so the airline cannot reassign on the phone or website. I have to wait until I'm at the airport. I'm going to ask for the exit rows, as they are not available ahead of time. They release that row the day of travel.

It's funny I called South African and the agent assured me that the seat does recline, but I'm not going to take her word for it.

Thanks.
Anita
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 11:32 AM

Must be the A340-600. Seatguru says row 44 "may have" limited recline. The only benefit (a minor one, imo) to that row is that nobody is behind you. Looks like the seat has the same pitch as any other row (except for 45 and 62 which are behind the doors). The exit is behind row 44.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

mrwunfl,

I was told by SAA that row 45 is the exit row, which they give out that day at the airport. I think I'm going to ask for that row. I know I cannot fly for 15 in a seat that may be limited to recline.

Many thanks.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 03:36 AM

HI! I hope you check this before you go on your trip! We just got back and it was a wonderful trip! Our tour guide, Robyn, was great. Take a flashlight because they have load shedding for 2 hours...it is tricky trying to take a shower! Also, take some notebook paper for your visit to the school. The kids were middle school age and read reports they had done! They were so smart! They need paper for future writings! The safari guides are tipped $5 and we didn't have that figured into our budget! You will see so many elephants in Botswana..it is so amazing! We didn't see rhinos until the last day in Kruger. Then, we saw nine together. Our guide was amazed, too!
Also, the airport in Jo'burg is really bad about going through your luggage. Don't put electronic or valuables in the checked luggage.
Have a great trip! I will include this in a trip report, also. Hopefully you will see it before you go!
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 12:32 PM

If you are in an exit row you might also ask if you are allowed to keep any of your carryon luggage under the seat in front of you. I had never been restricted on US flights before (or international flights of US origin) but recently on a flight within Europe (British Airways), we took the exit row but then were not allowed to keep anything under the seat in front of us. I usually keep my purse there, partly so I can keep an eye on it and partly so I can get at it more conveniently during the flight and without disturbing my seat mate. I guess it makes sense but I had never heard of it before.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

laurie_ann,

That is a great question for me to ask. Like you, I always keep my purse under the seat in front of me. I don't mind putting my carry-on on top, but not my purse.