Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How old were your children when they started to help with the trip planning?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The latest SF post made me start this thread. A parent is asking what would interest children who are already 16 and 19. Shouldn't kids know by now what they want to see? And shouldn't parents know their interests?

My children learned at early age to do the planning, even ticket purchase under adult supervision. On trips we'd take turns to plan, one day we're going where one child wants to go (park, playground, ice-cream parlor), another day the other child would lead (movies), my choices were usually museums. And it was fine with everybody.

Very often I see questions: where should I take my teenager? It can't be that all of them plan surprise trips. And I'm not talking about parents dragging their offsprings to Las Vegas. I just don't understand why not to ask the child what s/he wants to do, get a travel guide so "the baby" can read it.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 01:14 PM
GoTravel

I was pretty young when I started researching trips with my dad. We would get out the US map around February and start planning.

I think I was 9 or 10 when we planned our family drive across country and back.

My parents were always dragging us all over the place. We traveled often as a family. There were many trips we had NO say in.

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 01:16 PM

Faina, good question. The first time I let my daughter get involved with trip planning she was in first grade. We were going to New Mexico.

Got brochures (way before the internet of course). She looked and read all of them.

And than she told me what excited her.

After that trip she was always involved in trip planning. And came up with some
very interesting ideas. And not just what one would think that children would want to see or visit.

I have done the same with my grandchildren with some amazing results.

Thanks for your thread.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 01:42 PM

Early on when our children were very young, we planned the trip but with their interests in mind or what would be suitable knowing their personalities.

Over time, it evolved and they became interested and encouraged to be active participants in the planning of our family vacations. Now, they are often the "tour guides" and are excited and proud to point out features of a city or vacation destination that they have discovered on their own. It is a process that allows them to then go off on their own and make remarkable discoveries (my son is going to Australia this spring!)

Perhaps the poster needs some ideas about the destination for her kids because they haven't been "sold" on the idea of going on the trip.

Sometimes it's not even about interests but about taking risks to explore and hopefully learn something unexpected about the places you are visiting and for that matter, learn someting about yourself at the same time.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 02:27 PM

When my family went to DisneyWorld when I was 17, I was assigned to read the Birnbaum "unofficial" guidebook and to find good things for us to do in the parks. I still remember doing the "behind the scenes" tour of The Land in Epcot, and eating bananna-stuffed french toast at a restaurant in the Polynesian thanks to what I learned in the book!
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 03:02 PM

I was pretty young when I started helping my parents plan trips. We didn't have many vacations - mostly we went on car trips to visit family members. We did take weekend camping trips pretty regularly and most years spent a week at the lake.

I did navigate quite often as well as figure out how long it would take to get someplace, where we should stop for gas and food, and try to find interesting stops along the way.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 03:22 PM

I tried to get my kids interested in trip planning when they were young. They really never were into travel. Now, they are in their 20's and are still not very interested in travel. I wish I could have given them more of a world view. I offerred to take them somewhere for Thanksgiving and the best they could come up with was Las Vegas. I vetoed that and suggested Belize, they didn't want to leave the US. So, we're going to Key West. I still can't get them to look at brochure or web site one. I guess they just lost out on the travel gene.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 03:24 PM

JeanH, If I were you I would just go on the trips you have always wanted to do and leave the kids at home.

Guess some of us love to travel and some of don't. Happy travels
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 03:32 PM

I can't see criticizing a parent for asking for suggestions for themselves or their children on this travel board. Aren't we here to give others insights into areas we are familiar with and to ask questions about areas we are not?
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 03:43 PM

Orcas, I am sorry. I don't quite understand the comments in your posting.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Melissajoy

I planned our family trip to Italy and we had a great trip in June. I gave the "kids" (ages 22, 18, and 17) some web-sites and info to get them started and left "free choice" days for them to plan.

They did look at the info but didn't go so far as to present a completed plan...But I left some "free choice" days in our itinerary, and since they had done some research, they were ready to make those choices when we got to Italy. One of everyone's favorite days was the last day in Rome, which was free choice day.

"Kids" all elected to return to St. Peter's BAsilica to climb the tower (which we didn't have time for on the first visit). I took the time to write poetry and re-visit my favorite sites near hotel...Pantheon, Giolitti's gelato shop!

Bright kids around 5 can begin to learn how to read maps and help navigate...This perks up their interest.

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 04:16 PM

My kids have looked over Disney/Florida brochures years back (I'm guessing they were 5 and 8) and made suggestions on the places they would like to see in Disney/Epcot/etc.
On a driving trip through Canada, they had to do the same with AAA guides, brochures, maps, etc. If they didn't choose places they would like to see, then Mom or Dad would choose them -- and we would go to museums, churches, historical places, etc. We DID go to mom and dad's choices, BUT they also had input into their locations and we added their selections into the itinerary.
The same for a trip to London and Alaska.
By the way, we also made they write in a journal each night. They belly-ached about it at times, but the incentive was to go swimming before bedtime. They love to swim. (I always chose a hotel with access to a pool.)
Now they look back at the journals and remember some of the good trips we had as a family.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 05:27 PM

LoveItaly,

We do travel, lots. Haven't taken our kids any where for over 10 years. Last Thanksgiving they were at my house every single day of the four day weekend. And I had to cook for them. So, this year I decided we would all go somewhere warm.

In January DH and I are off to Panama for two weeks. He has to work all of February and March, so I'll go to either Mexico or Belize by myself. Then we want to go to Savannah for a long weekend end of April or May. Then back to Belize in May or June. I just don't understand why my kids didn't pick up the travel bug from us. Their loss is how I look at it. Jean
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 05:45 PM

FainaAgain -

I'm with you. A 19-year old is hardly a child - or at least I - and my friends - weren't at that age. And a 16-year old will be off to college in a year or so. I should think these young people would be smart enough - and have enough initiative - to get off their butts and do some work on what they want to see.

Unless, of course they don;t want to go on the trip. In which case, it might be better to leave them home - or let them go somewhere they would prefer - prehaps with friends.

Because the current situation is obviously doing nothing to help these "kids" either grow/mature - or learn anything about travel - or themselves.

As for travel planning my parents got us involved as soon as we were able to read - even if only picking a single activity we really wanted. I remember my brother at the age of 4 being mad to go to some farm because they had a particular type of goat. He talked about it incessantly for weeks. But that's a whole other problem.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 05:52 PM

When I started a new territory I handed my 11 year old nephew a AAA guide book and told him to plan a trip. He chose mostly VERY obscure military museums that I had no idea were in the state. We drove from city to mountains to coast - and had a blast. One of the best trips I've ever experienced - and I really got to know a side of him I would not have discovered any other way.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 06:59 PM

FainaAgain-I understand your questions and I think it has alot to do with the kids and how much they have traveled.

I have two daughters 17 and 21. When they were little our traveling was usually camping at the beach, river or visiting relatives. We also went with friends to these locations so there wasn't alot of planning involved on their part, we all just went as a group and when they were there they could choose which activities they wanted to participate in.

I have always had the travel bug and have been fortunate to do some travel mostly through my job. I am also a single Mom and just this last year I decided that I was going to start doing more traveling no matter what-give up that new furniture for a trip to Paris (which is what happened this summer). It also helps that my daughters are older and earn money to help out.

My oldest daughter spent her summer in Europe and my younger daughter and I joined her in August. When my older daughter was getting ready to travel, she bought a lot of books but never had the chance to look at them. I kept telling her to make plans but at that point she had no time and interest. I helped her make her basic plans but once she got to Italy everything changed. I think just being there, seeing everything and sharing it with students her age made a huge difference. By the end of the summer she had been all over Europe and had a completely different perspective. She now knows how to plan and what she wants to do. That said, I do ask questions for her on this forum. She is a full time student, works 2 part time jobs, is currently teaching a drama class for a scholarship award and is often rehearsing plays, etc. I have a lot more computer time than she does to investigate.

As far as my other daughter (17)is concerned, she is like JeanH's kids. She is a homebody, doesn't like travel that much and would just as soon stay home. When we went to London and Paris she did pick out a couple of things to do but not with that much interest. In the end she enjoyed our trip but she will probably be the one who stays home in the future. We are going to San Francisco for a few days during Christmas holiday and she asked to do that so maybe there is some hope.

I do agree that many posters ask very vague questions about traveling with their children but I hope it doesn't offend anyone when I ask questions for my daughters. I always try to be well informed before I ask for further information but the whole idea of this forum is to get insight from others as Orcas mentioned.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 07:18 PM

I recently posted a question for travel with a 10 and 12 year old but it was more to get other ideas. They both have their own ideas along with my husbands' but I wanted to get some ideas from experience. Sometimes kids don't know enough to realize all that they can experience.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 07:44 PM
BAK

My friend Jan took each of her neices from Pttawa to new York as each turned 12. The girls eachhad to research new York, and determine what hobbies and interests they had, and then track down NY places that fit.

O got to meet up with them on both trips. Heather was interested in music, and we went to see a musical plus toured Crnegie hall. Pam got us to a magic shop and to America forSunday lunch, there there was a magician.

My kids have not travelled much. The girl from the first set went to Italy to sing, but she only had about five days notice and spent most of that learning a part, so she just arrived with some tickets and typed upnotes from the travel agent.

The new boy -- he's ten -- did some research for his trip last summer to Cuba, and he wants me to report to him on where people I meet come from. Then he looks them up on a globe.

BAK
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 03:51 AM

We have traveled a fair amount with our 3 boys (9,11,15) and let them choose some activity or sight to see at each destination. While at Niagara Falls they chose Ripley's Believe It or Not - the price wasn't too bad, so we went there. This was 3 years ago and they still talk about it!

I've also made up some simple research questionnaires especially before visiting a National Park. My youngest loves these! When we went to the Everglades, he knew how to tell the difference between an alligator and a crocodile, what brackish water is, etc. He loved impressing the rest of our family with his knowledge and had a better understanding of what he was seeing.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 06:57 AM

If my parents are planning a trip for the whole family I don't provide any input, nor is it requested of me. I'm well into my 30's and the youngest of the bunch. I've planned my own vacations for years, I've planned vacations for friends and offered suggestions (when asked) to others, but my parents (Mom really) wants vacations her own way. Since they are usually paying for the family trip I keep my mouth shut and say thank you at the end. I can do that now, but as a teen I would have loved to have been included in the planning.

Some of the things I'd like to do are things my parents wouldn't. I remember on the 'big' trip to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon my brother and I decided to go gambling after supper. My Mom couldn't understand why we drove up and down the strip and went gambling so late (8 - 9 p.m.) at night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -