Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How Much Do You Spend on Wine When Dining out?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Dick

I'm curious.

How much do you spend for a bottle of wine for a typical nice dinner?

What's the most you have spent on a bottle of wine for a apecial occasion?

Also, what type of wines do you generally order( cabernet, chardonay, etc)?

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 05:14 AM
BuffaloBill

I usually spend between $25 and $40. I have spent as much as $200. As for the variety of grapes, it depends on what I'm eating. I always order the wine for the food.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 05:17 AM
Jess

For an average "nice dinner out, entrees $15-25 range, I usually go for a bottle between $28-40. It depends on the food--I'll pay a little more for wine if I'm eating French than Italian. I try to look for interesting wines from up-and-coming regions. If I looked at wines from Europe and the US onyl, I would be paying ALOT more.
For a nicer dinner, closer to $60+ per person for food, I tend towrds wines in the $50-65 doller range. I think buying very expensive wines at retaurants is a sign that you don't really know your wine, but are just trying to look good. Some of the best wines to be had are lower priced becuase they come from places that aren't yet "hot" but are trying very hard to make great wines.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 05:20 AM
Sam

I usually spend around $500 to $1000 depending on what we're eating. If it's meat then I go with a first growth Bordeaux. If it's fish then I while opt for a French white, usually a Batard-Montrachet.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Bea

I order the wine in our family and I like the fgood stuff. My husband is a lawyer who makes more money than he knows what to do with, so we end up spending $500 - $700 per dinner.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 05:46 AM
haha

Me thinks a lot of people here are full of it. The average lawyer in the US makes about 150 thousand a year, so can hardly afford a $500-$700 bottle of wine! Who's your husband, Johnny Cochran? My brother in law is a very well known attorney who is making in the top range for his field, and even he wouldn't spend over $80 for a bottle at a restaurant. He has a good collection at home though.

Also big spenders, tell me what wines are your favorites in that price range. I'm dying to know, the answers should just roll off your tongues as quickly as your lies.

Personally we spend between $30-$50. Enough for a decent bottle. We save the really expensive stuff for dinners at home where we don't pay the 100% to 200% plus mark-up at a restaurant.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 05:56 AM
w

25 years ago I was a young salesperson entertaining a top client. He was a big wine collector (more than 2000 bottles in his home) so I felt that I should let him order the wine. My company had just issued a memo warning us about buying expensive wines and this restaurant had many big ticket wines. To my great relief he order 2 bottles which were in the $5 range (probably $ 25-40 at todays price). When I asked him why he had 2 intersting answers:

1/ With a heavy meal you can't truly enjoy a great wine.

2/ Any fool can order a $$$ wine and get a good bottle but only an expert can get a good wine for a modest price and so he was showing off his expertise.

I've always remembered this and so I've tried to educate myself a bit so that I can find these good values. Normally I'll spend $ 40-60 for a bottle of wine depending on the meal and the company (I'll spend more on my wife and less at business dinners)

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 05:59 AM
haha

w, You are absolutely correct. Any true wine collector knows that. Any one else regularly spending hundreds or thousands on wine (well, the $ 1,000 bottles are generally undrinkable), is just an idiot.

The sommeliers are laughing their a**es off in the kitchen!

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Dick

I agree, I think some of these "big spenders" don'te even order wine with meals.

Unless someone is showing off, they save the really goood stuff at home. Besides, very few restaurants have a really in depth, superiour,wine list.

I usually spend 30-50 on a decent bottle of cab..up to 80 or so for a nice cab.

I do keep some good stuff at home that would be very expensvive in aa restaurant

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:03 AM
wino

40-60 (usually red)on a typical dinner and 200+ for a special occasion (usually champagne).

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:09 AM
getalife

Troll
Troll
Troll
Troll and
Troll

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:12 AM
got a life

getalife: Agree
Agree
Agree
Agree and
Agree

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:13 AM
x

Its a good question. How is that a troll!!??

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:20 AM
x

The message isn't a troll

Getalife IS a troll

That was what he/she meant

Anyway, why was Getalife reading this in the first place?

Ditto Gotalife

What a bunch of bumpkins

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:23 AM
Dick

I started this thread an it is not a troll!!

IT was serious question....but was not meant for those that don't order wine.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:24 AM
got a life

No, x, actually it is a moronic question, as is how much do you spend on food. What possible difference does it make in Dick's life what OTHERS spend on wine? Is Dick that dense? Here's a clue, Dick, spend what ever the hell you want to spend.
I don't need to ask others what I should be spending on food, wine, clothing, housing or vacations.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Dick

Why is it that the ignorant always resort to name calling when they have no facts?

I didn't ask for advice on how much I should spend...I am just curious about others.

Why does someone, like you, even bother to read this thread. It seems to be of no interest to you and you obviously have nothing to add.

Could it be that you are another traveller wannabee ..jealous of the rest of the world

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:37 AM
x

Dear Got

You are spending quite a lot of time on a question you deem 'moronic'. What shall we read into this?

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:46 AM
got a life

What "facts" don't I have? And what does ordering wine in a restaurant have to do with traveling? Again, what do you gain by knowing what others SPEND on wine? If you had asked for specific brands, at least this thread would have something going for it.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:46 AM
xxx

"got a life" needs a life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -