how much can we see in California in 10 days

Old Aug 4th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much can we see in California in 10 days

We have 10 days to do the coast drive san diego to eureka. we also want to take in "the zoo ", "the castle ", monterey aquarium, SF, alcatraz, and whatever else catches our fancy along the way. Doable ? what stops are a "must ", given our limited time ?
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 11:58 AM

You are flying into SD then going to Eureka, CA?
If that is the case, yeah, 10 days is good to do all that, imo.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 12:00 PM

You should describe who and how many there are... at least ages and things...

Hearst Castle is definitely worth a look, but could be a bit boring for kids.

You should probably do 2 nights and days in San Diego, then 2 nights and days in L.A.... and eventually 2 nights and days in San Fran...

That does indeed but a backbone on your trip, but you have a bit more to work with beyond that, so you should be able to map out something that works for you and those who will travel with you.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

just me and the wife( no kids ) will be travelling. not interested in the LA/Hollywood stuff. prefer scenery, nice leisurely drives, good food, interesting attractions for adult tastes.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 12:41 PM

Sounds like you'd enjoy usin g Route 1 and 101 for most of the trip. I-5 to LA and then the 101 to9 get to the coast at Oxnard. The old mission in Ventura is a nice historical stop. Then you've got Santa Barbara, too many resturants to choose from, but I like the Enterprize Fish Company, Bay Cafe butthere is no view. The mission there is also an interesting stop.
Back on the 101 to Buellton (or 154 into Santa Ynez. That the real start of the Santa Barbara wine region. Try Foxen Caynon Trail for severl wineries.
Then on to San Luis Obisbo (another mission if you are interested) and catch Route 1 to Morro Bay,Cambria and Hearst Castle. The drive north on Route 1 along the Pacific coastfrom San Simeon to Monterey is great.
Into SF after checking out the boardwalk in Santa Cruz.
After SF reconnect with the 1 and continue north to Point Reyes Nat. Park, maybe a side trip into the Russian River and Dry Creek valleys (Healdsburg)from Jenner. Nice restaurant in Healdsburg, Dry Creek Kitchen also a small out of the way place with great food is Matrix in Forrestville.
Now either go back to 1 and continue up the coast via Fort Ross or take 101 to 128 and go through the Anderson Valley wine country en route back to the coast. then Mendocino and Fort Bragg before cutting inland to the Big Trees area near Leggett & Garberville. Thence to Eureka.

I'd to overnights in Santa Barbara, Cambria, Monterey, SF, Healdsburg area, Mendocino and Gaberville. If you want to spend more time in San Diego or SF, cut out the Garberville overnight.
OR, you could make a 2-day sidetrip to Yosemite or Lake Tahoe, leaving the coastal route at Monterey for Yosemite and SF for Lake Tahoe.
Have a blast!
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 12:49 PM

..."a small out of the way place with great food is Matrix in Forestville."

boom-boom, I *think* you mean Mosaic-

www.mosaiceats.com

R5
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 12:55 PM

You've got a great trip planned. I would add Big Sur, Point Lobos, Carmel-by-the-Sea, Pacific Grove, 17 Mile Drive.
Have fun!
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 02:30 PM

Definitely Big Sur, Carmel, Pacific Grove and 17 mile drive..
Love Santa Barbara/Montecito area.
Make sure you do the 1 from SB to Monterey.
Sounds like a perfect trip!

great food spots on the way..Big Sur is Sierra Mar at Post Ranch Inn for lunch or Big Sur Bakery, lunch or dinner..
Passionfish in Pacific Grove for great seafood and very reasonable.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 07:07 PM

Thanks razzledazzle, I did mean Mosaic....
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 10:07 PM

I did the 17 mile drive last year - it was pretty, buuuuut just touristy. You have to pay to get in, and you see some houses and the coastline but I wouldn't necessarily put it in the must-do category.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 08:45 AM

Yeah, if you had to drop one sight seeing stop, I would drop 17 Mile Drive. FYI, they used to take your entry fee off your check if you eat in one of the restaurants in Pebble Beach. I hope they still do this.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 09:04 AM

I've only scanned this thread, but I don't think anybody has got you up to Eureka yet, and that's a fuuuurrrr piece up the road. I think you have been given excellent advice from San Diego up to the Monterey area, and maybe that's what you should do. Spend your 10 days with quality time in great places, wonderful views, lots of nature and history (the missions), great restaurants. Sounds good to me and I live here.

To try to get all the way up to Eureka is a real stretch in my opinion and while I love that part of the state with the Redwoods and many other things of interest, I'm not sure with the time you have you could do both areas justice. Now that's just my opinion. I'd rather spend more time in one area rather than trying to "see everything" actually just whiz by. Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll enjoy the California Coast. Have a great trip!
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 09:10 AM

I strongly agree with Giovanna. You may have too long of a geographic stretch for your numbers of days.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your valued input. we'll try to get in as much as we can, taking into consideration all of your suggestions. And if we must make another trip to California because we just couldn't do it all this time around.......gee, what a shame that would be ! Looking forward to it !