Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Route 1 - California - need help planning trip

Old Jun 1st, 2009, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to fly into San Diego, go to Catalina and Coronado then drive up route 1 stopping in Solvang, Carmel, Monterey, etc then ending up in Napa. Can some one help us with other stops along the way ? and approximate time to make this journey so I can book our return flight. I was hoping to leave on Oct 8 and return on the 16th or 17th - is that do-able ?? Also, is that a good time of year for Catalina ?
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 09:08 AM

It should be a beautiful time of year along the California Coast, and I think your time frame is do-able. Of course, you could spend a lot more time, but it should be a wonderful road trip.

Catalina is better accessed from further north than San Diego, I think, either Dana Point or Newport Beach. Other stops would be Laguna Beach, Santa Barbara, San Simeon (for Hearst Castle), Point Lobos http://pt-lobos.parks.state.ca.us/, Big Sur, Half Moon Bay.

Napa is a ways inland. Are you going there for a particular reason? You can see a lot of great wineries along the way (Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz mountains). The coast line above San Francisco is also gorgeous, and San Francisco is a fantastic city for a few days too.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kalani - we are celebrating our 10th anniversay and we had been married in Napa at a winery - so we want to spend at least 3 of the nights there - then we will fly back from SF.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 09:49 AM

There is always San Luis Obispo and Cambria which are on the way and beautiful cities.

Like the last post mentioned...Catalina is accessible from Orange County or LA but not SD.

This sounds like a great trip! Have fun

Stephanie
www.edufire.com
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 10:13 AM

perhaps a night in cambria, in a quaint place facing the ocean, would be fun. there are fine restaurants there. a little farther north is hearst castle with tours that you will enjoy.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Hillary & willis - so I should fly into LA - that will save us some time. Another question - should we rent car in LA then drive to the ferry for Catalina ? I think I need some info about the island and the ferries
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 06:25 AM

I second a stop in Cambria. It's a small town but very quaint. Santa Barbara is also worth a visit. I'm not sure what your plans are regarding Solvang but I wouldn't plan to spend much time there. The drive from Santa Barbara to Solvang is beautiful but the town itself doesn't have much to recommend it--very touristy.

I recently returned from a coastal CA trip that went from Newport Beach to Mendoncino (flew into LA area and out of SF area) and here is what we wound up doing: 1 night in Neport Beach, 2 nights in Santa Barbara(drove through Solvang), 1 night in Cambria, 2 nights in Carmel, 1 night in Bodega Bay, 1 night in SF area. It was a lot of driving but well worth it. The only thing I might have done differently is to have spent another night either in Mendocino or in wine country on the way back to SF. We had to stay in the LA/Newport Beach area for family reasons on the front end but barring that, I'd swap out that night with a night up in Northern CA area. We skipped the big cities this trip and stayed with a small town theme. Hope this helps.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Curious ! That's about the same number of nights - looks like we might have to drive more each day to get to Napa for a couple of nights !
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 02:54 PM

I agree about skipping Solvang - it doesn't do much for me either, and with so many other great places to see, I wouldn't choose to spend the time to go there.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 04:16 PM

There is a ferry from Marina del Rey (near LAX) to Catalina, so while you'd be missing Coronado, you would save driving time from San Diego.

http://www.catalinaferries.com/home.html
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 05:43 PM

I am in Cambria as I write... We come here several times a year -- I do recommend it!! Are you sightseeing along the way? If so, you might want 2 nights in Cambria to allow time to see the Hearst Castle (in nearby San Simeon).

Carmel is an easy, and beautiful, drive along Highway 1 from Cambria - making it a perfect spot for your next night; or you can take a bit longer drive and go as far as Half Moon Bay.

With regard to Solvang, it is a cute little town with lots of shops. It is, however, as mentioned before - very touristy.

October is usually a beautiful time of year here in California! Have a wonderful trip.