Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How long to drive from Philadelphia to EWR?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 06:51 AM
stevefrat

How long do you think it would take drive from Philadelphia to Newark International Airport starting at 5 PM on a Friday?

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 07:05 AM
stevefrat

Ugh - I should have proofread my post before I submitted it. That should read, "... you think it would take TO drive from..."

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would allow 2.5 hours to be safe.

Traffic on the Turnpike and Garden State Parkway can both be unpredictable.

In summer, going south on a Friday would be worse, but you'll be coming North so no predictable impact there.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 07:16 AM

I'd budget at least 2 hours, but if there's an accident....
I'm a worry wart and would rather be there early than late, so I'd probably give myself 2 1/2 hours
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 07:19 AM

Depends what part of Philly you are leaving from. I just did a real quick route planner on Streets and trip and made your starting point the Phila Inter Airport to Newark.

Miles = 89.8
Time = 1Hr 23 minutes

But at 5 pm, that trip could take much longer depending on traffic.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 07:38 AM
stevefrat

Well, here's the situation...

My wife and I are flying to Paris on a Friday in October. While I would prefer to fly directly out of Philly, we would enjoy a considerable savings (over $500) if we flew out of Newark.

The problem is we can not leave the city (University City area) until 5 PM. Our flight would leave at 10 PM, so my first reaction was that this won't be a problem. However, as I thought about it, I realized I really had no idea just how much traffic to expect, and what impact it would have for our route (NJ Turnpike). I was guessing the trip would take an additional hour with traffic, and early responses seem to agree with me.

Any other thoughts?

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 07:44 AM
GoTravel

I think I would try and take a half day off work and leave by 3PM just to be on the safe side. You need to check in by 8PM for an international flight.

What about NJTransit?

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sounds like you will have plenty of time. Leave at 5 and arrive by 8 at the latest and that still gives you a nice window to make your flight.

We live west of Philadelphia, and we are doing the same thing in June for the first time. Our flight is Newark to Venice on a Friday night. I'll let you know how that goes.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 07:45 AM
stevefrat

GoTravel,

My original plan called to do just that, but forces beyond my control have determined that I be "on call" until 5 PM.

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 07:46 AM

You'll be comfortable on time. Generally it takes a little under 2 hours for me to drive to Philly from home (I live near EWR) and reverse = same timing pretty much.

2.5 hours will get you there fine even if there's volume traffic on the roads.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 07:55 AM
stevefrat

Suki,

I would really appreciate hearing how the drive works for you. I'll have to remember to ask.

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 08:23 AM

stevefrat-
i highly recommend taking transit.
I checked the timetables for you.

If you leave Philly (30th St. station) at 5:40pm you will be in Trenton at 6:30pm.

An easy change in Trenton to the NJ Transit train that comes at 6:40pm and you are at Newark Airport one hour later at 7:41pm.

Plenty of time and no car parking hassle. The monorail is easy to navigate and takes you right to your terminal.

Of course this works best for able-bodied people & those that don't bring more luggage that they can carry...

have a great trip, whatever way you go.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 08:44 AM
stevefrat

NJriverchick,

Thanks! We haven't ruled out the SEPTA/NJ Transit route. We do have a couple of concerns about it. First, having had to commute from Center City to Levittown for several years before we moved into the city, we know the R7 can be very crowded during rush hour. While we will be traveling light, we're still going to have some luggage with us. Second, after a 9 hour return flight, it would be nice to just jump in our car and go.

Like I said, though, we haven't ruled it out. It might very well be the best option.

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 09:56 AM

Leaving yourself 2.5 hours should be enough. but then you have to leave time for parking your car, getting to the terminal etc.

However, that said I have had it take more than 4 hours from near Trenton to Newark a couple of times (once a bad accident, twice bad weather and several fender benders and once part of a prefab house fell off it's trailer and blocked the truck lanes - putting all of them in the car lanes).
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aside to stevefrat: Hey, I grew up in Levittown - Thornridge to be exact. Lucky you to be living in the city now. We're thinking of moving in once the kids are through high school.

I will try to remember to include the detail of the drive up to Newark in my trip report when I get back.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 10:34 AM

I think you should be fine with the 3 hours you'll need to make that trip.

If there is a spot where traffic could get bad it might be on the portion of the Turnpike below exit 7/7A when the truck and car lanes combine. Once you're past that portion, it should be fine especially as it won't be in the summer.

I do agree that the train option may be the best one, though.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 10:46 AM
yk

OK, let me say this: Spend the extra $500 and leave from Philadelphia.

I lived in Philly in the past and had done the same thing as you before - save a few hundred bucks to fly out from EWR.

If you add on the extra cost (be it parking $ or train tix), the time you "wasted" on the road commuting to EWR and back, plus the headaches you have (your trip is in October and you'll be worrying nonstop from now until then), you'll realize that $500 is not a whole lot more to pay.

If you do choose to take the train, please splurge and take the Amtrak instead. I've had experiences when the SEPTA runs late and the NJT train in Trenton decides not to wait for the SEPTA train and everyone gets stranded in Trenton for 30mins until the next train arrives.

Anyway, if you fly out of EWR, you'll spend at least 3 hours just getting from Philadelphia to EWR, and then you still have another 9 hours of flight to follow. Spend the $500, you and your wife will be happier.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 11:06 AM

Hm. $500 is quite a lot of money though.

But here's another reason why you may want to do it. The 10pm EWR-CDG on Continental is usually a 757 (at least according to current timetable for October). It's one of the least comfortable plane one can fly across the Atlantic.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 11:47 AM
stevefrat

Suki - No way! I grew up in Elderberry, then lived in an apartment at the Village of Pennbrook.

yk and rkkwan... excellent points. I'll take them under advisement.

Thanks for your all your help.

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 12:26 PM

I definitely would consider taking the train if you are going to do this. For one thing, the stress of traffic concerns, etc. would make leaving very hectic. Plus, long-term parking is not cheap! Unless you're hauling a lot of luggage, I would play it safe and stick with either NJ Transit or Amtrak.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -