Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How long should we allow for a first visit to the Grand Canyon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will be husband, wife (me), two almost teenagers next July on our first visit to the Grand Canyon. Well, I saw it briefly as part of a daytrip almost thirty years ago, but I hardly think that counts!

We'd like to hike an hour or two down one of the trails, attend a ranger talk or two, see the IMAX movie, walk along the rim, and whatever else anyone suggests.

Does a good, relaxing visit need two full days or just one? It would be evening by the time we arrive. Thanks.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 02:10 PM

a two hour walk down is a 3-3.5 hour walk up. That is half a day.

I would suggest two days. If you are content up top then one day should be sufficient.

If the Grand Canyon is the vacation destination (and not someplace in enroute) then I would spend at least 2 days there.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 02:24 PM

Having been to Grand Canyone seven times, I fully agree with Methuselah, who seems to have a lot of experience as well. One day to see the overlooks on the rim, one day to do WELL-PLANNED hikes down (and back up) either the Bright Angel Trail or the South Kaibab Trail. For this second day, note that every hour you spend going down will require two hours to go back up PLUS another two hours to recover at the top. Planning, preparation, and humble wisdom (ie, turning back when you START to feel tired or sore) are the key between the best hike of your life or the worst.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, that's good advice. The GC is half of the vacation destination; the other half is a family reunion in New Mexico. And yes, I realize GC is NOT on the way to New Mexico from Kansas, but New Mexico is halfway back home again, and we will do the reunion on the way home after the GC. (Maybe that makes sense.)

Which trail would you choose for our brief foray into the canyon, Bright Angel or South Kaibab?
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 03:46 PM

I've only hiked the Bright Angel trail. We really enjoyed the few hours we spent hiking. We totally underestimated the return portion and were quite sore the next day.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 03:55 PM

Let me know if I can help with the NM portion!

Deb
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 06:13 PM

My favorite spot in all of the US (so far) is the patio of the lodge on the North Rim. The north rim is so much quieter than the south rim - and there are trails through the woods, trials in the canyon and horseback riding. I was supposed to meet a friend there and she didn't show up (no longer a friend) so I was alone for three days. Maybe the nicest three days of my life. If you are set on the south rim, at least two days. There is plenty to do. Take lots of water - the air is dry. Tap water is safe. Refill those plastic bottles.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. Deb, for NM, we're going back to our usual Taos/Red River haunts where we've been many times. I appreciate the offer of help though, but I think we will be seeing the same familiar and beautiful territory. (That's actually why I want to see something new w/ the other half of this vacation!)
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 10:02 AM

> Which trail would you choose for our brief foray into the canyon,
> Bright Angel or South Kaibab?

Even amongst GC afficionados, there is controversy over this. I'll only mention what each offers.

BA is less steep, more shaded, more crowded, and has water (SK has NONE) and emergency phones. SK has more open views -- the main reason there is no shade.

I tend to recommend BA for first time hikers because it is less stressful and risky, but I can't deny the SK provides a better look.

The key thing you will get from hiking down into the Canyon is really REALIZE (sorry, I know that sounds redundant) just how big the place is. Your eyes will be so overwhelmed by the sheer size you see at the rim, that your brain won't fully grasp it. Only by walking down do you begin to comprehend. This aspect can be obtained on either trail. So pick one, do the proper planning and preparation, and, even if you hike down for just twenty minutes, you'll experience the Canyon in a way that 90% of its visitors (foolishly) overlook.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 11:01 AM

Sunrise from the S. Kaibab trail is a sight you will never forget, if you can get the kids out of bed. The sun comes up pretty early in July but the shuttle buses head out there well before. There's 20 mins. or so of "twilight" before the actual sunrise time, you can see quite well. Heading out this early, you won't need to worry about too much sun, you'll likely be back up at the top by 9 a.m.

Start looking for hotel reservations now, they fill up. The Bright Angel lodge right on the S. rim is a very economical place to stay and the location can't be beat. It's rustic and charming. Xanterra is the hotel operator for all the various S. rim lodges.

And yes, 2 days minimum.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I've thought about how we will need to be "early to bed and early to rise" in the GC. Well, we've started hikes early before in the mountains, in order to get off the summit before storms kick in. I do need to get with it on hotels now!
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 07:56 PM

You should be aware that IMAX movie was made in 1984. DVD sells _much_ cheaper on eBay. I got Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Mt.Rushmore on DVD for 1/2 of what they sell that 1 DVD for(even with $10 discount).
I've heard nothing but bad things about that Indian point with the glass rim. No cameras allowed, and not much to see.
I would give it no less than 3 days.