Albuquerque NM in mid-September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are returning to ABQ for a few days after a 30-year absence. We love Mexican food, and since virtually all of our favorites are gone, we looking around for possibilities. So far we have identified the restaurant at the base of the Tram for the view, perhaps the High Finance option on Sandia Peak for the same reason and Fondue Basque at the Cultural Center for a buffet lunch.

Would appreciate some suggestions. Prefer Mexican, informal, bar. Would also consider an authentic Western Steakhouse (like the ones in Denver and Phoenix that cut off your ties).

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 11:20 AM

High Finance has a great view, but the food isn't all that special. You could go up and have a drink or bring a picnic.

The restaurant at the Cultural Center is called La Fonda del Bosque. I'm not sure what Basque fondue would look like, but it conjures up interesting mental images. I haven't eaten there, though.

Are you looking for Mexican or New Mexican food? What were some of your favorites from before? It's possible they may have moved.

You might also want to look at DebitNM's Albuquerque restaurants thread in the New Mexico folder for more ideas.

For regular Mexican, El Norteno on Wyoming and Constitution is good - a variety of regional Mexican dishes.

For New Mexican, Mr. Pickle likes Los Cuates on San Mateo and Lomas NE (I haven't eaten there yet) and we both like a place on Rio Grande called Las Mananitas. It's just good basic New Mexican food.

And there is always Barelas Coffee House on 4th St. just north of the Hispanic Cultural Center.

Lee Ann
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Ms Pickle I stumbled right into the fondue name. Thankfully you guessed right.

As for the difference between Mexican and New Mexican, I don't recall the "New Mexican" reference. It was just Mexican. Some examples include enchiladas (beef and chicken), sopapillas with honey (my mouth is starting to water), carne arvada, tacos, red and green chilis and sauce, beans and red rice. Oh, and most importantly, cold Olympia beer.

Our three most favorite restaurants were Baca's (on Central), the Territorial House and Mama Mia's.

Would you mind explaining the difference between Mexican and New Mexican? Thanks for your response.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 09:30 PM

Yup, you're right, all those places are gone. Territorial House had great salsa.

I'm part Basque, so the "Basque Fondue" thing made me smile.

While there are a lot of regional differences in Mexican food, what most of us think of as "Mexican" is the Tex-Mex style, where a red sauce is a mix of tomato and chile powder.

New Mexican food features just the chiles - either green, roasted, peeled, pureed, and cooked with garlic, onions, usually some meat, etc., or red, which is usually the dried chiles soaked in hot water, then pureed and seasoned.

So when you have New Mexican food, you won't have a tomato-based sauce. I'm sure you remember being asked "Red or green?" when you order.

Gotta say, though, you can do a lot better than Olympia beer these days around here! There are a number of good local and regional brews.

Lee Ann
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 08:22 PM

LaPlacita on the square in Old Town has really good mexican food, and nice casual atmosphere; including a tree going up through the ceiling!