New Mexican Food

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mexican Food

I'm researching for my trip to Albuquerque and Santa Fe in September and am a little concerned about the heat of the food, since everything I read mention red and green chiles are a cooking staple. I can't eat anything that's even a little spicy due to intestinal surgery and I'm wondering if any of this food is served mild?
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 05:51 PM

Most of the food at places that serve New Meican food, can be had fairly simple and plain. You just have to tell them you don't want any chile or you want it on the side. You don't even have to eat at them, there's plenty others to chose from. Same for Mexican food, if you don't eat it at home, don't eat it here.

As for "regular" food, it is just like where ever you are from [steak, chicken, fish etc.] and should pose no problem.

Stick with basics and you'll be fine. Did you see my favorite ABQ restaurant thread?

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 06:55 PM

I personally love the hot stuff -- once I ate salsa that gave me a flushed face, like sunburn, and I loved it. However, I noticed at most restaurants that they are used to visitors who do not like it spicy and tend to ask, and warn, when taking orders. I may be mistaken but I think much of the food is fairly plain and you can spice it up with the salsas, as you wish?
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Debi, I copied your restaurant list from here and then saw it on Chowhound also. I really want to try New Mexican food so I'll see about having the chile on the side. Is the red usually milder than the green?
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 07:12 PM

You know, it really depends on the restaurant and even the day. Folks are really loyal as to which they like better. You can get a bit of both, on the side. It's known as Christmas [a little green and a little red].

There is also those that like red with beef and green with chicken. The red has a smooth consistency, kind of like tomato sauce. The green usually has pieces of peppers in it.

They can both be hot or not so hot, just depends on the batch that day.

They are used to folks asking for it on the side, so no problem there.
Debi
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 07:36 PM

If the chili has been frozen and in the freezer for awhile, it tends to be hotter no matter if it is green or red. Best to just get it "on the side". We have some great food here.

Pam in NM
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 12:25 AM

Try the chile rellenos at Sadie's on 4th St. in Albuquerque. They are flavorful, but not at all spicy. If they offer chile, just ask for it on the side so you can have a taste.

Lee Ann
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 06:02 AM

Here's a 'rating' system to remember:
Regular (WOW!!!)
Hot (Whoopee!)
Mild (Sweat Provoking!)
Gringo (Ahhh!)
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 10:22 AM

Visited New Mexico last October. Really enjoyed it. As DebitNM notes, you can have your New Mexican food plain or as hot as you like.

The one thing we found that seems unique to New Mexico, is that most every restaurant that serves steak seems to charbroil them. Many restaurants proudly advertise this. Other don't advertise it, but cook the steaks that way as well. We are well-traveled (Mrs. MileKing hails from Texas and has been to all 50 states; I've visited 45 of the 50) and have steak fairly frequently while dining out, but have never encountered charbroiling of steaks anywhere else in our travels. If you are used to the typical broiling (not charring) of steaks, you may very well be disappointed.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 10:30 AM

MK -- it shows how we all have different tastes; give me my steak charbroiled any time. Even at home, it's on the BBQ for me and it doesn't matter what time of year. I've been known to shovel snow to get to BBQ. Under the broiler, no thanks.

[Have you tried flatiron steak? They are wonderful.]

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34940023

Debi