Search

grand canyon hikes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grand canyon hikes

My husband and I will be camping at the Mather campground on June 20 and 21st. We really need information about the best way to see the canyon, including best day hikes. Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 08:10 PM

http://www.grand.canyon.national-park.com/hike.htm#day

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/day-hiking.htm
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 10:46 PM

Well, June 21st is a free admissions day at the National Parks so I'm sure the Grand Canyon will be busy! Might want to keep that in mind.

I don't know how much hiking you will want to do, but going down into the canyon is always an option. Plan on 2 - 3 hours hiking out for every hour you hike down. It gets really HOT on the trail so carry a LOT of water!

One of my favorite things to do at the Grand Canyon is hike along the rim. When we get tired of hiking we pick up the free shuttle buses and go to the next over look or just ride it back. Since you are camping at Mather, you can just leave your vehicle at the campground and either walk to the rim or pick up the shuttle buses at the entrance to the campground. I love that feature about camping at the Grand Canyon.

Not sure how you are entering or leaving the Grand Canyon, but the over looks from Grand Canyon Village to Desert View are worth driving to and making stops along the way.

Utahtea
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 03:19 AM

Gorp.com

Best hikes for me

Down into the canyon for an overnite my fav
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 04:02 AM

I've hiked to the bottom on South Kaibab and came up on Bright Angel. South Kaibab is steeper but it is on a point jutting out into the canyon so you get fabulous views. You wouldn't have to go far down South Kaibab to see the great scenery. Bright Angel is in a slot so you don't get as good views but it isn't as steep.

You can take the hiker shuttle bus to the South Kaibab trailhead. Bright Angel starts in the village.

Start VERY early in the morning while it is cooler and take lots of water and some snacks. You may not feel hungry but make yourself stop and rest and eat a bit every 30 minutes.

The national park service website PaulRabe gave you has a map for day hikers and tells good places for day hikers to turn around. It also shows where/if there is water and bathrooms along the trail. Wear some decent boots with traction--not smooth bottom sneakers. You aren't going to fall off the trail (if you act responsibly) but you will feel more in control if you aren't slipping on soft, fine dirt.

Hiking polls really do help. They take a lot of stress off your knees. You don't have to buy expensive ones unless you are a serious long term hiker--you can get them at Wal Mart.

Wear a hat and see if you can find the neck coolers that you wet and wrap around your neck to keep you cool.

Have fun!
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 06:12 AM

Best simple, not too difficult day hike into the canyon is 1.5 miles down South Kaibab to Cedar Ridge. Go as early as possible (catch the first shuttle bus to the trailhead an hour before sunrise) for best views and most friendly temperatures. Need to be in moderate physical shape to do this one. 3 miles round trip, bring food and water as there is none on this trail. Great views, much better than on the Bright Angel trail.

If you do this one and feel up to a longer one next day then the 2nd best SAFE day hikes are on Bright Angel, descending either 3 miles to the rest house or, ideally, 4.5 miles to Indian Gardens, where there's a campground and ranger station. Late June can be very hot, dangerously hot (I've been there in late June when it was 118 F at Phantom and people died on the trails), so again get an early start (4 AM is about right) and don't do it unless everyone is in very good shape. 9 miles r/t, water available at 3 places.

If you are in excellent shape and acclimated to extreme heat and there isn't a heat wave (ie the inner canyon daily high isn't above say 105F at Phantom) then an extreme day hike is to descend Kaibab to the river, stop at Phantom Ranch for a bit, then hike up Bright Angel. This is about 17 miles and you'll be hiking up when it's hot. People have died trying this (though dozens do it each day) and the Park Service does not recommend it but it's doable.