How long is a baseball game?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it might be a nice idea to go to a game while we're in the States . I have no real idea about the game (we once went to a baseball ground by mistake, in Italy - thinking it was the soccer ground - turns out, the baseball might've been better than the soccer we endured!). Anyway, I had a look around NYC, Chicago and San Diego for the dates we're there and there is a home game at the Yankees, but the ticket prices are very silly. No home game at Chicago - but there is a home game at San Diego, against Seattle Mariners, which would be great, as my son bought a shirt when in Seattle! Well, the ticket price total is just over $100, but the game starts at 1:05pm and we are travelling down from Palm Springs on that day. Do you think we'd make it in time? We're staying over on Coronado. If the game goes on for hours, then would they mind if we turned up late?

Thanks!
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
J62

A normal 9 inning game will run about 3hrs. Some are faster and some are slower especially if extra innings are required due to a tie.

If the outcome is a foregone conclusion many fans will start to leave about 2/3 of the way through.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 02:58 PM

You can arrive late to a game - not a problem. The Yankees normally sell out most games and this is the last year of Yankee Stadium so tickets might be more expensive or hard to come by.

Three hours is about right for a game.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM

<We're staying over on Coronado. If the game goes on for hours, then would they mind if we turned up late?>

I think if your rooms are guaranteed with a credit card and you keep in touch with the hotel you will be fine. We usually try to phone the hotel if we are running late, even if we've guaranteed the room, just to make sure we don't lose our reservation.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 03:13 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The drive from PS to San Diego is a couple of hours at most. Assuming your game is on a Sunday (most afternoon starts are on Sundays) you shouldn't encounter any traffic to speak of, so you could come straight to the game (and actually try to get there early for the pre-game activities - around half an hour before the official start - then go to the hotel after the game.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 03:48 PM

According to this website:

www.baseball-almanac.com

Shortest 9-inning major league game is 51 minutes. 9/28/1919, New York Giants 6 Philly 1.

Longest 9-inning game is 4hr 45min 8/18/2006, Yankees 14 Red Sox 11.

Longest game overall is 8hr 6min. 5/8/1984, White Sox 7 Brewers 6, 25 innings.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 03:50 PM

Petco Park is one of my favorite stadiums to go to. Plan on getting there an hour ahead of time. Assuming an average game time of 3 hours (which is long for a National League game), you should be at the hotel around 5 or 5:30 which is a good time to check in.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 03:58 PM

It also depends on who's playing and how much the game matters. If it's rabid rivals (for instance NY Yankees and Boston Red Sox) or a playoff game and each team MUST win the game it tends to last longer (lots of relief pitcher changes).

To get the real feel of the game you should arrive at least an hour early so you can see players pre-game drills, batting practice (you will see LOTS of home runs) and perhaps even get an autograph.

If you turn up late and have decent seats you will probably find someone sitting in them. They may leave willingly - or you may have to get an usher (who you always tip for showing you to your seat) to remove them. And be sure to buy a program so you know who you're looking at.

As for the Yankee prices being silly. Well, everything costs a lot more in New York. And it is the Yankees - the winningest team in any sport in the entire world. And they sell out almost every game at those silly prices. When the new Stadium is finished next year - the Legends box seats (right next to the field/dugouts) are going to be more than $2500 each. And people wait for years to get season tickets for them.

I've been to baseball in a lot of places - but nothing is even close to Yankee Stadium (think of it as Wimbledon - or whatever the equivalent is for cricket).
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 04:25 PM

And it is the Yankees - the winningest team in any sport in the entire world.,

not so sure about the above statement

Manchester United - 16 League titles, 2 UEFA Championships and 11 FA Cups. In 1999, ManU won all three trophies, an almost impossible feat.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 05:22 PM

Hi wildblueyonder,

I can't resist this one.

How long is a baseball game? TOO LONG! I hate baseball. Boring!!
Just my opinion. Even if someone paid ME $100 to go, it wouldn't be enough of an incentive.

So, now that I have that off my chest, do report back! I can't wait to hear what you think.

Hope you have a great trip.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 06:08 PM
JRP

Some attractions of baseball include the unpredictable developements, everchanging strategies and timeless outcomes. Yet, for the most part you might allow about three hours to enjoy the game itself. A complete day at the park might go as much as 4-5.

Petco Park in San Diego provides a great opportunity for a first time baseball experience. Just last year we made the same trip from Palm Springs to San Diego. I would recommend allowing three hours to drive and arrive.

After the game, Coronado is a short drive out of downtown and across a bridge. Your hotel should hold your reservation with prior notice of late arrival. If not, there are plenty of rooms within walking distance of the park and they'll be happy to have you.

Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 06:26 PM

"who you always tip for showing you to your seat"

Are you serious? I've been to baseball games all over the country (and Canada) and I've never heard of tipping an usher in a ballpark.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 06:35 PM

C-52, did you think the ushers make a fuss and wipe off the seats to be nice? Football games too. Bet you wondered why you get dirty looks from all those people.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 06:52 PM

Huh? I've never seen an usher wipe off a seat. The most I've ever had one do is point to a seat from the top of the section. Cetainly not a tipworthy service!
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 06:54 PM

Sorry, certainly
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 07:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No tipping ushers at Dodger Stadium.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 08:01 PM

Ushers in Philadelphia show you to your seat and wipe it down. Yes, you should tip them.
dave
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 08:38 PM

So, do they do this for everyone and get tips from all who attend the game? Or do they just do it for people who ask for help?

The things I've learned from Fodor's!

My husband and son looked at me like I was seriously deranged when I asked if they'd ever heard of tipping an usher at a baseball game!
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 08:56 PM
JRP

If a "host" would walk me to my seat and wipe it I would most definitely tip him or her. It would be a simple gesture of appreciation for a professional act of kindness- like placing your dinner plate before you at a restaurant.

However, it's been quite a few years since wiping off a seat was considered s.o.p. for an "usher".

My Dad is a host at a MLB stadium and his accounting of his experiences would indicate that guest courtesy and appreciation is as rare as a 5 run homer. I respect him for his tolerance.

And for the record, Yankee fans are the worst- by his description as well as my experience.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 09:07 PM

Sorry, JRP, I didn't mean to sound disrespectful. I have the utmost respect for anyone who takes their job seriously and does it well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -