How far is Westwood LA to La Jolla?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best way to get to La Jolla from LA and we are not renting a car. Does any busline have this route?
Also, are there any good clothing outlets near Westwood LA?
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 07:50 AM

Yikes!! This would be quite a triumph if you can do it!! Its at least 2 hours in no traffic. You can take a train Amtrak but I don't think they have a la jolla depot, the closest is Del Mar or Back down in Old town San Diego.
And take the train up to LA's Olivera Station or there may be a stop closer to westwood. Then take a bus or a cab to west wood.
I may not be very adventurous but I would never try this!!!
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 10:43 AM

LA (IMHO) has the worst big city public transportation system in the U.S. The poster above is absolutely correct. Trying to get from Westwood to La Jolla via public transportation would be something worthy a reality/Fear Factor type show.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 01:10 PM

Noelle, are you trying to go for just a day or changing locations? Also, where specifically are you trying to go in La Jolla? The beach or somewhere else? This could make a difference in the answer given. The best answer if probably going to be rent a car for the day.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 06:43 PM

I wonder if you she could take a cab to LAX or Long Beach Airport & then catch a Cloud 9 Shuttle?

Hey, I'm not saying it's the way I would do it, but ...
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:20 AM

It's definitely possible, Noelle. However, this is not the crowd to be asking.

LA and SD both have express routes out from Westwood to downtown LA and from downtown SD to La Jolla where you could take Greyhound or Amtrak. If you took the Amtrak, a previous poster mentioned getting off in Del Mar, but that station has been closed for years. The stop is now in Solana Beach. try mta.net and sdcommute.com and EXPLORE your options. You COULD get from westwood to downtown in 30-45 minutes and definitely from downtown SD out to la Jolla within that time.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your responses. I will rethink La Jolla this trip. How about clothing outlets near westwood la?
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 07:14 AM

OK, first of all, it's NOT "Westwood LA". Westwood is a neighborhood of West Los Angeles, anchored by UCLA.

Second of all, there are no particularly good clothing outlets anywhere in West Los Angeles. There are Nordstrom Rack stores here and there, but you have to really know what to look for to find anything good (I've never found anything good in men's clothing). The closest outlet mall would probably be the Citadel, which is out in Commerce (a good 40 minutes away by car). There are also outlet malls up in Camarillo, down in Carlsbad, and over in Cabazon. Camarillo's maybe an hour away-- the other two are two hours away.

Your plans are/were impossible without renting a car.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 07:23 AM

There are some vintage clothes places in Hollywood though...
I am sorry but in So Cal it is nearly impposible to go more then 5 miles from where you are by public transport. I am exagerating a bit but not much. For some reason the different cities and counties have not managed to coordinate their schedules or routes to any degree and the busses, trolleys, trains run so few and far between it's almost laughable if you are trying to go a good distance.
My son when he was younger loved trains and busses and we would indulge him with trips on amtrak from Carlsbad to Disneyland or LA. It always involved a drive to the station, the trip on the train then getting dumped off at a train station that wasn't really walking distance to where we needed to be. We would then have to take a cab!!
Would have taken half the time and money if we had just driven it.
I don't see Southern California ever having a good metro system like NYC or SF in my lifetime.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Jun20

How far? 125 miles, Westwood to LaJolla