Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How do you get from NYC to Annapolis, MD?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Lorraine

Can you fly out of any of the NYC airports?
Does Annapolis have an airport?
Does Amtrak go there?

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 10:15 AM
fairfax

Annapolis is one of the only state capitals without an airport, trainstation or bus terminal. There is public bus service from Baltimore City. BWI airport is about 20 miles away from Annapolis, if that. You would need to either rent a car or get a taxi to get from BWI to Annapolis. You can take a train to Baltimore and then get the light rail to the airport, but that may be a pain.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 01:54 PM
r-travels

Lorraine - if cost is an issue, then first get to BWI or Baltimore downtown. You could take Amtrak, or find an airline between NYC & BWI. If you live on/near Long Island, a flight on Southwest will be faster and probably cheaper than Amtrak.

Find the "Patapsco" light rail stop. Baltimore's light rail runs (in addition to other routes) between Penn Station and BWI. Patapsco lies between them, so just hop on the only light rail train you see. The fare will be $1.35. From that station, board MTA bus #14 to Annapolis, which takes 1.5 hrs. Go to http://www.mtamaryland.com for more info.

I disagree with others about how easy it is to find travel information unless your trip will be only on one carrier. I am a proponent of "teach a man to fish rather than giving a man a fish" thinking, but will simply ignore a post rather than take time to write something that's not helpful. Why NOT see if someone else has info you need?

This website has great links for transit options: http://www.apta.com/sites/transus/

(there is no X in my REAL e-ddress)

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Lorraine

To R-Travels & Fairfax-
Thanks for the info!! This is very helpful!

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 02:09 PM
LN

Hi
I live in Annapolis... I fly in and out of BWI all the time because it's probably a little closer to my town than to Baltimore. I can also use Washington's Reagan National Airport or I can use Amtrak. Usually if I take Amtrak I drive on Rt 50 to Lanham, and hop on Amtrak. Like the airport it's a 15 minute drive. It's a great city of approximately 90,000 people that's very close to Washington DC and Baltimore MD.
I don't use the Marc train so I can't comment on it. Oh, bWI is a hub for Southwest and USAirways so there's no problem getting flights when you want them.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 02:25 PM
r-travels

Lorraine- I'm glad you asked this question; I've often thought about visiting Annapolis when I make trips Albany to BWI. I found another way from BWI to Annapolis, only $3 and much less time than the #14 bus - http://www.ci.annapolis.md.us/citize.../sky_blue.html also has info about getting around Annapolis as well.

If you take light rail, I forgot to point out you purchase tix from a vending machine BEFORE you hop on. Light rail is NOT the same as MARC train, but if you find anyway to get from a MARC train stop to Annap., please know that you can board MARC both at Baltimore Penn Station, and at BWI. The BWI LIGHT rail station is right at the north end of the airport terminal, the Amtrak/MARC train station is a short distance away with free shuttle service pickups outside the baggage claim areas. Look for the buses with "Rail Station" on the front.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 02:40 PM
r-travels

I also find bus service from scheduled primarily for commuters:

Annap to NewCarrollton AMTRAK/Metro/MARC station on MTA bus #921 - http://www.mtamaryland.com/schedules/bus/commuterlines/line921_922/921.htm

Bus 950 between Annap & various downtown DC locations http://www.mtamaryland.com/schedules/bus/commuterlines/line950/950.htm

Bus 210 between Annap and various downtown BALT locations http://www.mtamaryland.com/schedules/bus/commuterlines/line210/210.pdf

I was to BWI just this past weekend. I wish you'd asked your question LAST week, Lorraine!

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Jason

If you are staying in one of the hotels downtown Annapolis, ask them if they offer a shuttle service. It has been a while since I used it but I used to use the shuttle from the Lowes on West Street. I think it was about $25 one way several years ago but if you are staying there it might be discounted.

Old Apr 13th, 2003, 01:04 PM
bluestructure

Drive to Annapolis, 3.5 hrs.

Take I-95 south to Baltimore. Before going through downtown, the interstate splits - take 895 (Harbor Tunnel) to Annapolis. Follow signs to I-97(Annapolis) and you'll be in Annapolis in 30 min.

You could also take I-95 south to Route 896(south college rd) in Delaware just before MD border. take that south to US 301 - will take you to Annapolis. nice scenic drive over the Bay Bridge.

Flying....BWI is the closest. Southwest.com is cheap from Islip-BWI, like 39-44 one way. Have to take a cab or something from BWI to Annapolis, dunno much about transportation but its about 25-30 min ride by car.