Reload this Page >

How do PLANES board?

Search

How do PLANES board?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Christina

How do PLANES board?

I forgot whether the airline reps have the handicapped, first class, frequent flyer and awards recipients go first and then go from the BACK of the plane to the front or vice versa. Anyone know or remember please?

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Jen

After the special categories, the other passengers are boarded in groups starting with the BACK of the plane. In my experience, the special groups do not include frequent flyers or award recipients, though some airlines do have special clubs or categories for flyers who have reached specific stratospheric milesage levels.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 12:50 PM
travellyn

Usually back to front.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 12:51 PM
joe

They're not handicapped...they're crippled! Get PC!

Actually, you're first scenario is right. It is something I've never understood. Why not have first class board last...that way all us cattle don't have to march past them as they're enjoying their cheap wine and orange juice. Wouldn't it be better to have a "First Class" waiting area and allow them to board last?

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Christina

Thank you. Hence, my requests to sit 1) near the bathrooms and 2) in the back (as noisy as it is).

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 12:58 PM
joe

Christina, since you mentioned it there are a couple of things to consider:

1. What size plane are you going to be on...some have BR in front and back (and sometimes in the middle).

2. Do you have a connection? If so a place near the front is more convient if you have little time between flights (ability to get off fast and get to connection).

3. But, if you have a lot of carry on a place in the back may be best as if you have a place in the front you may find all the luggage bins full! Of course, being the jerk I am, if the bin over my seat is full I ask the people in my row if it is their stuff...if not, I take it out and put mine in. Someone usually comes rushing from the back of the plane yelling at me and I calmly tell them to take it to their seat.

4. But it may seem that the primary concern may be being close to a BR, I sympathise as I was once on medication that made me go every 20 minutes it seemed, in which case most of the above is moot.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 01:02 PM
xxx

If you're on Southwest, you board in the A, B, or C group and sit anywhere you want to.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Aries13

Delta boards as follows:
1. First Class
2. Medallian Flyers (Silver, Gold or Platinum)
3. Coach, back to front.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 01:11 PM
joe

On SWA I can sit where I want? What if you are already in the seat I want? Can I make you get up and move? Wow! What a concept.

SWA boarding procedure sucks. I like being able to show up at the gate 15 minutes before the plane is going to leave and not worry about getting the absolute worst seat on the plane. Who wants to stay in the gate area for hours to guarantee a good seat?

I'm can't believe the airlines haven't started charging different prices for different seats.

Window Seat: $100
Middle Seat: $90
Aisle Seat: $120

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Christina

I'm sorry I should have specified. I'm on Delta. And yes, when I have a connecting flight I try to sit up front a lot closer, as in when I have to go through Atlanta. Thank you all.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Patty

My concern (in addition to the BR situation) is the bins. Every time I get to a bin, all the bins are full and I have to check my bag. This is completely unacceptable work by the flight attendants (who don't help much anyway). Each person should use the one that corresponds to them and that is it. Am I being too demanding? I mean, we are all taking just one carry on anyway.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 01:21 PM
MrXQ

ttt

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Gretchen

Actually on USAir--at least pre 9/11--if you were seated in the very last row, the one that doesn't recline, etc.--you get free drinks! Alcoholic, that is.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 02:06 PM
MMMq

always back to front. I have to say though that I was on a plane once and they surprised me by boarding front to back. By the time I got in, there were no bins either. I sympathize.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Aries13

Have you ever been on a flight that boarded the bulk head rows first? That's happened to me a few times (I fly every week)...but only a few times. I thought it was a great idea - so that they have somewhere to put their bags!!!

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 02:37 PM
xxx

I've always wondered if it would be more efficient to board window seats first, then middles, then aisles.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Les

I, too, have found it annoying to be sitting up front (i.e., boarding last) and finding the overhead bins all taken. I feel that the bins should be divided, one section per seat, and that the flight attendants should enforce this. The dividers could be removeable (or foldable), so that, after the all passengers are aboard, if a bin section is unused, the divider could be removed to allow room for a bigger bag.
You'd be surprised how quickly carry-on bags would really become carry-on size.