Reload this Page >

Wyndham Washington DC Hotel - 1400 M St. NW

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Mark

There seems to be a dearth of information online about this hotel. (Not to be confused with sister hotel "Wyndham City Center" on New Hampsire Ave.)

No comments on it in "Rants and Raves" on this site (the other Wyndham property is listed), in Epinions or Tripadvisor.com.

Been surfing looking for a nice property for a long weekend (11/22 for 3 nights) and was frankly surprised to find $99. per night + Breakfast at hotel's page on Wyndham.com.

Their Promotional video (naturally) makes this hotel look like a find, but who knows.

The best rate at a seemingly equivalent property (so far, at least is an internet rate of $109. -room only at Grand Hyatt. Marriott Metro and JW and Renaissance also seem to be in the same ballpark.)

Location of Wyndham is close to Thompson Circle, Metro station(s) appear to be in reasonable walking distance.

Anyone have any thoughts/experience (pro/con) on this property?

Many thanks.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 12:55 PM
r-travels

Can't help you about THAT property, but I had reservations for the Wyndham Summerfield Suites Embassy Sq 2000 N Street NW last May - EXCELLENT price. I stopped in during an April trip to check the place out ... looked great. Unfortunately, the friends I met in May had already made reservations in Alexandria and were unwilling to cancel, even for half price. After they say the location they regretted the choice to stay in Alex. (E.S.)

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Mike

I can't really place the hotel, but I believe it hasn't been a Wyndham for long and may be the old Vista International. The neighborhood is fine, if unexciting. You are close to Metros.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Mike

It is the old Vista International, which was a very nice business hotel, I just found it on the web. I had a friend stay there about four years ago when it was still the Vista and he said it was quite nice.

The Vista (now the Wyndham) was the place where then-mayor Marion Berry was videotaped smoking crack cocaine with a prostitute.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 03:07 PM
E.

Thomas Circle, not Thompson. The area is safe, but will be dull after hours as it is composed mostly of office buildings. Still, you'll be able to walk to restaurants, the Metro, and, if you're hardy, the Mall.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Mark

r-travels, Mike & E.-

Many thanks for the timely responses and useful input.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 05:13 PM
Deb

Just last week my office hosted some meetings at the Wyndham Washington. I had previously visited the sleeping rooms and thought that they were very nice and fairly luxurious. They are starting to copy the Westin Hotels' "heavenly bed" (mostly consisting of extra poofy beds and pillows, sometimes feathered). Most of the people at our meeting who stayed there said their rooms were nice and had no problems, but one or two told me they had some issues with cleanliness. I don't know if those two people are just fussier than most (someone told me that one of them always has issues with hotels), or if they had a legitimate problem with their rooms, so it's hard to predict what your experience will be.

The hotel is located about 4-5 long blocks from the McPherson Square metro station (on the Orange line), about a 5-10 minute walk. Walking about 3 blocks down M street toward downtown will put you near the National Geographic building and museum and many nice restaurants and some shopping. Walking the opposite direction (across Vermont Ave.) may be slightly seedier, but I'm not sure. I know it used to be.

I give the hotel a positive recommendation. The rate is well worth it, I think.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 05:29 PM
Marti

Mark, this does sound like a deal! Just as an alternate, I just stayed at the Four Seasons Pentagon last weekend, they had a rate of $179, which included breakfast. Metro is right outside the door, literally. Outstanding hospitiality. Not in downtown DC, however, with the Metro we were in Dupont Circle in 10 minutes one day, and Kennedy Center in 15 the next. Have a good trip.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 05:38 PM
Marti

Whoops, I meant the Ritz-Carlton!

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Pat

It's not possible to get from the Pentagon stop to DuPont Circle in 10 minutes on the Metro. Kennedy Center, yes, because it's on the same line. But you have to transfer to the Red line to get to Dupont.

Don't stay outside the city.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Mark

Deb, Marti (have a sister w/same name) and Pat-

Many thanks for the info.

Marti- saw that rate for the R-C Pentagon but only for the first two days; day three $399! -yipes!!)

Deb- Interesting comment that they're trying to emulate Westin to some extent.

I've visited Washington often (business & pleasure, like this trip) and have stayed at Marriott, *Hyatt and Westin properties. This rate is an excuse to try out and evaluate Wyndham. Based on your comments and those prior, unless something bowls me over while I continue to surf that's where we will most likely end up.

*BTW, if you can ever get a rate below $200. for the Park Hyatt at 24th & M; grab it - it is a super (luxurious) hotel w/every amenity you could imagine and service to match.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Ann

Must verify Pat's info. Metro says that it's a 22 minute ride from Crystal City to DuPont Circle. And their estimates are often overly optimistic.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 02:55 PM
nick

mark commented the park hyatt, grab at less than 200 a night. orbitz has a $165.00 a night, guest room ,king bed going on right now. you will need to register but it is free.