How did you spend your Thanksgiving?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Sherrie

Happy Thanksgiving Fodorites...
Curious how did you spend your Thanksgiving this year?

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 05:53 PM
spinster

I just got a glimpse of my future - a guest at Someother Family's Holiday Feast, going home cold and alone, completely saddened by lack of family.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 07:01 PM
Susannah

Spinster - why? You can throw your own bash, you know. People you invite don't have to be part of your nuclear or biological family. Plan ahead next year and invite all sorts of people you know - widows and widowers, intact nuclear families, singletons, divorced people, young friends and aquaintences that can't make it back to the family homestead for the occasions, foreigners, out-of-toweners - whoever you like! (If you don't want to do a big cooking extravaganza, stick to basics and have your guests each bring a favorite T'giving dish.) Not eveyone will accept, but I bet a lot of people will - and gratefully. And at the end of the night, you don't have to go anywhere.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 03:57 AM
Laurie

Susannah, you said it! My family and I stayed home and made Thanksgiving dinner for us and four other friends. They brought some dishes to pass and we had a blast! We all went to see James Bond later and then came home for pie!! Saw some friends at the movie and invited them over as well, all 9 of them (they brought more pies ) and we all had a wonderful time! My boys said it was the best ever Thanksgiving!!! And yes, we didn't have to go out in the cold WI weather to go home

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 04:01 AM
josey

Spent the day with our 3 adult children at our new house and had a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. We all live close enough now and NO one has to travel in any snow anymore. One does live 5 hours away and spends the week end with us.
Spinster...do what Susannah says...have some other people over to your house...maybe even this Christmas if you can't get to some family members. Or find someone and go out for dinner! But make it a joyous holiday! There are probably lots of other people in the same boat, and they are lonely too.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 07:14 AM
xxx

We went to friends with many families, our own, theres and some more friends. Maybe about 24 of us all together. It was fun for the most part. Spinster, there is a saying that holds true in life. We are as happy as we make our minds up to be. Easier said then done. I was alone a lot over the Holidays at one time. There are many options available to you believe it or not. As many great suggestions, invite people over, plan a party. Do volunteer work at a shelter. When you help others you also help yourself. Next year plan ahead, and don't let those feeling of lonliness sneak up on you. Good luck.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 07:27 AM
natalie

Cooked for 15 people in my house in LV. In laws helped cooking 50%. I decided to have part of it catered and it tasted yukky. It was just as stressful had I decided to cook the stuffing and mashed potatoes myself. The worst part is the cleaning up part which takes hours. The whole family went to see Harry Potter afterwards which was a lot of fun! Every year I tell myself I'll find a "good caterer" and still end up doing the same amount of work!

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 08:24 AM
ih8i4

Husband and I went to an old Orlando steakhouse, for locals only (few & far between), sat at the bar and watched the Patriots game. The chocolate martinis after the meal completed the day!

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 08:45 AM
ilisao

We spent a very noisy Thanksgiving at my cousin's house. It was just what we needed since it was the first Thanksgiving without my mother who died in August.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 02:50 PM
duh!

Went to help at a big free Thanksgiving dinner put on for down & out and all others with no place to go. Had a great time helping, and when you see the people who show up you wonder how anyone can possibly think that people CHOOSE destitution, as clearly, they DON'T.

But after dishing out dressing all day, all the dinner I wanted was a coffee & a slice of pie. I am thankful for my warm home and good fortune, and ask anyone else, whether alone or with a big family to try this holiday experience sometime too.

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 07:49 AM
jan

Ate a lot. Spent Thanksgiving over grandma's with the family. Decorated the house & Christmas Tree after dinner.

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 10:11 AM
PCM

For the first time in 33 years, did not spend Thanksgiving with any part of either family.

We went to Asheville, NC, visited Biltmore for Candlelight events, had great dinner at Gabriel's in the Richmond Hill Inn, did more Biltmore touring, and on Friday had fantastic tapas at Zambras, with no trace of leftover turkey!

I miss our son, love my family, like most of his family, but this was our best Thanksgiving ever.

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 02:11 PM
Paul Rabe

My wife and I watched the Macy's Day Parade with 2 million of our closest friends. Then we ate at the only diner we could find that was open that afternoon near the motel we were staying at. With better planning we could have eaten a lot better; but we enjoyed being together.

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 02:40 PM
xxx

I spent the holiday weekend hiding from family.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 09:36 AM
tothetop

anyone else?

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 10:37 AM
travellyn

It started out great, but turned horrible. Stayed in town (Durango, CO), and had our Thanksgiving meal at a big community dinner given every year. Years ago, the dinner was started for the down and out, but has grown to be a meal for anyone who'd like to come. Less stigma that way. My family helps make the stuffing each year, and we've gotten so we go to the dinner even if we're doing something nice at home, too. Dinner was nice, as always. 300-400 people attended, less than the usual 500 or so.

On the down side, my office was broken into that day, and I had to come in Friday to show the police around. It turned out to be pretty interesting, but not something I want to do again.

Sunday was the worst; our 2 pet rabbits were killed by an animal, possibly a coyote, early Sunday morning, so I'm looking into cremation today. If we bury them, they'll just get dug up by other animals and further traumatize the kids. This is one of the only downsides to living here.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:03 PM
Jane

My husband and I ran away from home for the holiday. We went to San Francisco, stayed in the Sheraton Palace Hotel in a great room, had Thanksgiving dinner in the incomparable Garden Court restaurant and then upstairs for a cozy evening.

The next day we spent walking in the City, dodging crazed shoppers and enjoying the gorgeous weather. All in all a wonderful get-away!

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:07 PM
deb

We went to Asheville, too! First went to brother's house for several days with the rest of the family...6 children, all under 8, two dogs, 8 adults.
Then went to Grove Park Inn and enjoyed the fabulous views, and toured Biltmore. Enjoyed lunch at the Bistro at the winery. Great trip.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:28 PM
pjr

My husband and I spent Thanksgiving in Chicago.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:31 PM
Jeff Skrilling

I spent it on my yacht off Barbados. Played with the kids and had extravagant meals all on your dime. Thanks suckers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -