Search

Houston, TX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Sue

Houston, TX

Have a layover at Houston, TX Bush airport for 4 hrs. Want advice on something to do that isn't too far to taxi over to.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 05:49 PM
judy

Sorry to tell you there is really nothing entertaining within your time frame that you could reach by taxi and get back. Houston is "sprawling" meaning it takes hours to drive all over especially with traffic. If you are just dying to leave the airport, you could go to the nearest mall, Deerbrook on 59, a short ride away. Good luck.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 06:26 PM
Michele

Judy's right - there's no public transport system to take you anywhere from the airport so without a car I'm afraid it's a taxi to the mall or a burger at Bubba's in Terminal C. IAH doesn't have much in the way of shopping, either - a Musuem Store, some bookstores, a Sunglass Hut, a Disney Store, and a store that sells ballcaps. That's all I can really think of right now. Enjoy your layover, though!

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 09:47 PM
Seamus

IAH is Continental hub and there are several President's Clubs. If you are not a member you can buy a day pass for about $25, I believe. Free drinks (alcoholic and nonalcoholic), munchies, TV lounge, and comfortable seating, access to phones/work stations. As previously mentioned, IAH is in "the boonies", not near enough to anything worth doing in a 4 hour layover.

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 03:34 AM
Howard

This will probably not be overly helpful to you, but this past October we had a 5 hour layover at Houston on our way from DC to Ecuador, and had a fulfilling time. We are trying to go to Dairy Queens in as many states as we can and had never been to one in Texas. (We have now hit them in about 35 or so states). We took a taxi for a brief ride - about 10 to 15 minites each way, to get to the closest DQ. The cost was about $30 round trip, pricey for an ice cream stop, but sort of worth in in our minds.

Anyway, this shows that taxis from the airport are $$$, and there is not much around. Unless you also have a "thing" for DQ's, I would suggest you stay at the airport.

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Au contraire! A 15 minute taxi ride will get you to a truly unique and enjoyable shopping experience. Old Town Spring, just north of the airport, was built in the '20's (I think) to support the men building the railroad. It had died dowwn to close to nothing in the 1970's when private merchants began buying the old buildings and houses. They fixed them up on the olod styles and opened all kinds of businesses. There are clothing stores, gift shops with one-of-a-kind gifts, Christmas shops open year round, even a custom made pillow store. Shops for men, women, children and pets. It's my favorite place to shop at Christmas and when I want something special for others or even myself.
If you're hungry there's a great place there called Wunche Brothers Cafe. Simply the best hamburgers! Good food all around.
I don't ever take a taxi, so don't have any idea how much it would cost. If think it's not too much, I can garauntee you will like Old Town Spring, even if you just walk around enjoying the ambience and don't buy a thing!
Marleah
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Howard,

I remember when you were looking for that DQ near IAH. Glad to hear you found one!