Houston Hotels - Down to 4

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Houston Hotels - Down to 4

Let me preface by saying that I live in Houston and know the area pretty well. Travelling around town is not a problem. Now what I'm looking for is a one day getaway with my wife for our anniversary on 12/30. I checked several websites and narrowed my choices down to these 'fancy' hotels:

1) Hotel Icon (Downtown)
2) Alden (Downtown)
3) Omni (Galleria)
4) Hotel Derek (Galleria)

These are all 4 stars hotels, but the very best rooms in them are probably suites (which are priced way over my one-night budget). So I'm looking at one step above Standard. Maybe Deluxe or Premium perhaps. As I'm sure the rooms are all comparable, the one thing that I must insist on is a large marble bath tub (jacuzzi if applicable) -- this is a romatic getaway after all . If you are familiar with these hotels, please help in making my decision. Or if you know of a propery you think I should consider, please feel free to suggest. The hotel websites are way too bias towards their properties. Thanks.

AT

Old Dec 9th, 2005, 01:53 PM
emd

The Omni is nothing special at all. I have stayed there several times as the client asked me to (I guess they get a rate). I get an upgraded room but it is nothing special and is not what I consider fancy. It is a standard hotel room, w/maybe a bit more space. Also, it's a slow hotel, the bar and dining is not hopping at all. I always leave the hotel to eat dinner when staying there. I would not do a "special romantic night" there.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 01:58 PM
emd

Have you checked www.tripadvisor.com for recent comments on these hotels? Just thought I'd make sure you know about that resource.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 06:30 PM

If you live in Houston, look at the Houstonian, a great spot near the Galleria off the west loop.

It certainly fits the bill as a spot for an anniversary getaway.

Jim
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 03:47 AM

Other than the tub, what factors would make the stay special? Other than the Alden (which I don't know anything about), all of the hotels you described are nice. The Derek and the Icon are a little more trendy, the Omni more formal. The Omni will be similar to the Ritz Carlton.

Don't mean to interfere with your winnowing process but have you considered trekking down to Galveston and staying at the Tremont? Also, what about a B&B? Have heard some really nice things about the Lovett Inn and Hidden Oaks.

EMD, surprised about your comment on dining at the Omni. I think Noë is the best restaurant in Houston. Better than Mark's and definitely blows away Aries and Cafe Annie.

Old Dec 10th, 2005, 05:56 AM
emd

I have stayed in many Ritz Carltons and the Omni on 610 is not like a Ritz in my opinion...The service is not the same, the rooms are not special or luxurious.
I did not mean to say the dining is poor. It is just a very quiet hotel and the times I have been there (all were 2 night stays, either Wed-Thurs, or Fri-Sat nights) the dining room was dead, so we went out somewhere a bit more lively. We often head to the Post Oak Grill. But LDLee, I will try the dining room at the Omni on my next stay for this client after your comment! Thanks for letting me know about that.
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. Yes, the thought of Galveston crossed my mind (always wanted to try the Tremont). But one of the benefits of being there is to be able to stroll in the sand. Although this is Houston, the end of December can be quite cold.

In looking at several sites, they all echo the same sentiments about the Omni -- on the deline and not worthy of a 5 diamonds distinction. Look like I can cross this from the list.

We have 2 young children that the grandparents agreed to care for so that we can enjoy a night away. So we are going to do what all couples do when they finally get a night away from the kids....sleep! Being that it is also our anniversary, I wanted to splurge a little. I thought a nice opulent room with mable bath tub would be a nice touch.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 10:13 AM

I've not stayed in the hotels you have listed but I have stayed at the Houstonian. I didn't opt for an upgraded room but saved my money to put towards spa services.