Search

Houston Airport Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 10:39 AM
Ari
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Houston Airport Hotel

We are overnighting in Houston in January and require a Hotel near the Bush International. Something middle of the road would be fine. Also need to get to a shopping mall and would like suggestions on what we 2 first timers to Houston can do for one day. Thanks
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 04:55 AM

Ari, there are several hotels near IAH. I typically stay at Country Inn and Suites, and have also used Comfort Suites. Both are clean, decent, and affordable. There are a few higher end hotels, as well.

As far as shopping, Greenspoint Mall would be your closest bet. It's about five minutes from the airport.

There isn't really much near the airport as far as entertainment for the day. You would be having to take cabs everywhere, which can get expensive in Houston. If you have all day long, you might want to think about renting a car and returning it before your flight the following day.

If you are renting a car, then we could make more suggestions on things to do for the day since you would have access to other areas of the city.
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 08:01 AM

When I was in Houston, I stayed at the Comfort Suites Intercontinental Plaza. Nice, clean, comfortable, but nothing fancy. Very close to the airport, and the price was very reasonable. They have a continental breakfast that actually is okay, if you are into hotel breakfasts.

When I was there, I rented a car and went to the Johnson Space Center. THere is a Budget Car Rental within walking distance of the Comfort Suites. Actually, that was my only reason for going there. (I went to NOLA with my mother and she is a totally into the Space program, so a short side trip to Houston was almost inevitable.) I had thought it would only be for kids and didn't think we could spend an entire day there, but I was very mistaken. We ended up spending the entire day there and still had one or two things we wanted to see before meeting a friend for dinner, but oh well.

I tried to find other things to do in Houston to see if I should extend my time there, but I came up with a blank. Yes, there are fine art museums and shopping malls from what I hear, but living in So Cal I have all of that in my backyard, so I wasn't into it. I do have to say that Houston has one of the best skylines I've ever seen.

Not sure what you are interested in, so hopefully others might be more helpful in letting you know what there might be to do in Houston.
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Ari
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. We are considering the Sheraton North Houston - mostly for the price and amenities. Never thought of the Johnson Space Centre - I don't know if that would be my cup of tea but I think my husband might really enjoy that.
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 04:32 AM

Ari, I've stayed at the Sheraton before too, and it was fine. I think you will be happy with that choice. They have a nice restaurant in the hotel in case you decide not to rent a car, or don't want to venture out in search of dinner.