Search

Houston

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Houston

I will be flying to Houston, TX March 19th for a conference from the Midwest. Wanted to spend the @4 days exploring around the area. Hubyy and I are @50...love walking beaches, history, architecture, seafood, Tex-Mex and BBQ!
The only TX we know is Dallas.
Suggestions for food in/around Houston would be appreciated.
What is Galveston like? Any recommended drives?
Any help would be appreciated.
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 04:34 PM

Goode's BBQ is the longtime local favorite. I also really enjoy Rudy's. Rudy has exceptional brisket.

Goode has a seafood restaurant specializing in Gulf fresh catch. Very Goode.

Pappadeaux is a local group. The seafood restaurant is a great choice. I am always disappointed in their BBQ locations.

Jimmy G's on Beltway 8 near 45 N has great Cajun seafood. Best grilled oysters in town.

Chuyis a regional Mexican chain out of Austin with several Houston locations that beats anything out of the Midwest.
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 05:24 PM

We go to Lupe Tortillas frequently, the one in the Memorial area. It's always been good for us, though there is usually a long wait on weekends.

Also, Taste of Texas on Katy Freeway is okay as well. I'm not a meat eater but the rest of my fam enjoys it.

My husband loves Pappadeaux but to me it's all deep fried cr&@ that tastes the same.

We did a Segway tour in Houston downtown area and it was fun for the experience of a Segway. I think we got a deal of around $60 person for a couple hours.

Houston is not a city I'd make a point to visit unless you like traffic, bad drivers, no zoning laws (nice homes nearby strip joints) and humidity. I'd look to get outta there. I've only been to Galveston once- it was okay. I don't know if they've fully recovered from the hurricane a few years ago. It has some quaint areas. Maybe try South Padre Island?
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 06:28 PM

The Zoo is really nice. We like BBQ from Pappas.
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 06:16 AM
cd

The beaches at Galveston are brown but fun to walk for a short period of time and walking the town area next to the beaches is interesting. Another day trip from Houston would be Kemah Boardwalk. http://www.visithoustontexas.com/lis...tails?id=23329 Also Houston Space Center gives a nice tour.
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

I was slightly bummed that the conference was in Houston...just never heard anyone talk about going there.

Sounds like a lot of great food choices, however.

Thanks. I appreciate the help.
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 04:33 AM

I'd forgotten we did this last year. Not too exciting, but amusing and free.

We wento the Tunnels: I don't know if that's the "official" name. But it's a bunch of tunnels that run from the Chase Tower and Wells Fargo Tower area in downtown. Maybe you can google it or heck Trip Advisor?There's places to eat and shop. It was interesting for a couple hours and we ate somewhere. I'm not a foodie and cannot recall where we ate, sorry.

All my kids ended up living inHouston over the past four years and while they don't love it, they 've said it's thebkind of city that's more fun to live in than to visit. You will have lots of eating options though.

I'd forgotten about the Space Center- thatvwas interesting. The zoo was okay too, although I 'm not a fan of zoos in general, hate to see the animals pent up. There are also shopping outlets nearby. Katy Mills in Katy, TX and Houston Premium Outlets in Cypress.