Search

Hours in Philly

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hours in Philly

Hello,

I will attend to U2 concert in Philly, on July 14th.
I will travel the same day from NYC to Philly by train. What I would like to know is... How to spend my time on Philly, I mean what should I visit in few hours...

I'm planning to get there around 12:00 and the concert is at 7:00 at Lincoln Financial Field... I do not want ti visit the liberty bell or the Historic part of Philly, since I will take a tour on next day, so I just want to know what should be the best time to spend the few hours I will be there...

Also, what is the best way to get to the Lincoln field - hotel?

Thanks =)
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Amy

One plan would be to visit the South Street area: the Magic Gardens at 10th and South are way cool ( www.philadelphiasmagicgardens.org ), and previous to that there's Jim's Steaks for a cheesesteak stop, as well as tons of other restaurants and funky shops. If you make your way up to Broad Street (14th in order, but named Broad) you can get the Broad Street Line right to Lincoln Financial Field. (see www.septa.org ) You could take the el train to 2nd Street and start from there; lots to see and do along the way.

I expect you're coming into 30th Street station? The University City area is a good strolling place, and there's the wonderful U of PA Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.

So much depends on your likes and dislikes, really, and actually there's a lot more to see and do in the historic section than any one day tour can cover well. Of course, it's a good possibility it will be really, really hot at that point, so you might want to just go to a cafe or one of the parksand spend some time! You won't really have a whole lot of time by the time you get off the train and into the city, especially as of course you'll want to arrive at the concert before 7, and that's another train ride.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 04:56 PM

1) Go to this URL
http://www.septa.org/maps/region/pdf/ccp.pdf
and print this pdf.
2) You arrive (I presume by Amtrak) at 30th Street Station at about noon.
3) Use your Amtrak ticket to ride any regional rail from 30th Street Station to the Market East Station.
4) Have lunch at the Reading Terminal Market
5) Visit whatever interests you in that area:
(a) City Hall (*IF* the weather is clear, go up to the top for a view)
(b) the museums along Ben Franklin Parkway
(c) wandering the area between Avenue of the Arts and Rittenhouse Square
6) When ready to head for LFF, go to the nearest Orange Line Station and buy two tokens at any vending machine (cash ONLY).
7) Ride the Broad Street Line (aka the Orange Line) south towards AT&T, getting off at the last stop.
http://www.septa.org/maps/transit/bsl.html
8) After you exit the subway, follow the crowd to LFF.
9) After the concert, head back towards the Orange Line Station, and ride Septa to your hotel. If you could tell us where it is, we could easily tell you the best way to get there.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Great, tahnks for the advices! BTW I do not have an hotel yet... Any ideas?
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 04:06 AM

I agree with all of Amy's suggestions!
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 06:00 AM

> I do not have an hotel yet... Any ideas?

I suggest you stick to Center City lodging. You'll want to be able to get back to your hotel after the concert with a minimum of trouble, which means subway (Want to find a cab right after a huge concert? Good luck!). Staying in CC allows you to do exactly that.

July is the height of Philly tourist season, and a U2 concert will result in every place being booked. I suggest you get your lodging NOW.
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 06:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
It will be easier for us to make suggestions if we know your budget. You'll be on your honeymoon, right? The nicest hotels in Philly are the Four Seasons, the Ritz Carlton, and the Rittenhouse Hotel. The new Palomar is supposed to be very nice too but I haven't stayed there. A half step below those hotels are the Sofitel and the Inn at Penn (in University City, which you can also get to via subway from the concert)There are also the Marriott hotels, the Westin, etc.

www.gophila.com usually has some good packages and is also a good site for mapping and overviews of hotels.
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks... I booked a night at the Four Seasons now =)
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

What's the weater in july there?
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weather varies, but July in Phila. is usually hot and humid. Temps in the high 80's or 90's F.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 07:12 AM

if you like whiskey.. go to a bar called time.. that's how id spend my time. just sayin...
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks... And you bet i will go there =)