Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Weekend Getaway to Philly - 2nd week of JULY!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2015, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there!

Gonna be heading to philly the 2nd week of July with a few friends. Coming in late afternoon on friday and leaving around noon Sunday.
Will be taking the SEPTA there from New Jersey and looking to stay somewhere around Rittenhouse. So wondering how can we get from the SEPTA train station (I am guessing we would need to get off at the 30th street station) to Rittenhouse area.

1. Can we take a local public transportation or is taking a cab more recommended?
2. What are some things we should/must see during our short visit?
3. What are some places to eat that you can recommend (nothing too pricey as we are students)?

We are not picky eaters nor are we picky about what we do or see. We are coming from NYC so anything relaxing would be great. Not very into nightlife as we have that in NYC.

Thanks so much for the help!
Old Jun 14th, 2015, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would help to know your interests. Are you interested in history, art, shopping, food, etc.????
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 01:43 AM
Amy

Local public transportation is certainly possible (lots of options; see www.septa.org) and shouldn't be difficult with just weekend luggage, but if there are 3 or 4 of you a cab wouldn't be a bad idea.

"Should/must sees" are, like schmerl says, so dependent on your interests. You don't have time for all of them, for sure, so you could do the "history tourist trail" or art or outdoors or quirky or multicultural or...Staying in the Rittenhouse area (is there a specific reason?) could mean a lot of things as far as walking distance, but Philadelphia is a very walkable city, plus it's easy to get around on Septa. Of course, it might be really hot and humid which could limit your desire to walk, but being from NYC I'm sure you're familiar with that.

Food? Reading Terminal Market for sure, food trucks and carts (just google food trucks philadelphia for loads of helpful sites) and, again, depends on your interests. Typically cheese steaks are de rigueur but roast pork with provolone is an option that some prefer. There are loads of restaurants right in the Rittenhouse area, of course.

This post is aged a bit but might have some helpful info:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...iladelphia.cfm

You can check out my blog for a couple of ideas on what to do: missalg.tumblr.com and the website www.visitphilly.com is invaluable.

Happy planning!
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 08:07 AM

> Will be taking the SEPTA there from New Jersey

There are lots of ways to get from NJ into Philly, and one of them is the Septa Trenton Rail Line. There is, however, also PATCo Rail, Amtrak, NJTransit buses, and several bus companies. I'm going to assume you are, indeed, taking the Septa Trenton Line.

> wondering how can we get from the SEPTA train station
> (I am guessing we would need to get off at the
> 30th street station) to Rittenhouse area.

The Trenton Line stops at 30th Street Station at (surprise!) 30th Street & Market, at Suburban Station at 16th & Market, and at Market East Station at 11th & Market. Rittenhouse is at 19th and Walnut, just two blocks south of Market,
http://www.rususa.com/city/images/phtrans.gif
so your best bet is to get off at Suburban Station and walk.

On the other hand, if you're riding PATCo into Philly, you'll get off at the last station, called 15th Street. If you're riding Amtrak, you'll get off at 30th Street Station. If you're riding Greyhound or NJTransit, you'll get off at the Greyhound Terminal at 10th & Filbert (just north of Market). Most other bus lines stop at 30th Street Station and SOMEWHERE else (you'll have to check). The map above will help.
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 08:15 AM

In July, I would do museums, museums, museums, but then again, I like museums

The Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Barnes could each take up a day, easily--actually, one day isn't enough for the Barnes. There's the Rodin museum as well, which I haven't been to.

I think Reading Terminal is fun for a long lunch of strolling and noshing.

We enjoyed the double decker tour bus once, just rode it all the way around because it was bitterly cold, and got a good overview of the city.
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 09:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I love the Rittenhouse Square area and usually choose to stay there during my frequent visits but since you are students, I'm going to suggest you at least consider staying in University City. It's a great neighborhood just across the river from the Rittenhouse Square area and very accessible to the rest of the city via mass transit. Many of the restaurants and shops are geared towards students and you might enjoy taking a look at the UPenn and Drexel campuses.
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the help guys!

>>schmerl: I personally enjoy museums but my friends do not So willing to compromise and do anything that is new and different from the scenes from NYC. As large museums take a whole day to explore would like to use our time more wisely. (guessing Philadelphia Museum of Art is as large as the MET in NYC?)

We also do not need to shop for anything in particular. But would like to get some small inexpensive souvenirs for friends back at home. Where might we able to find that? (this can be anything from keychains to shot glasses to anything that resembles Philadelphia!)

>>AMY: Thanks for the blog suggestion will definitely be checking that out before we plan our trip out. As for food we definitely want to try out I guess the tried and true Philadelphia Places that are loved by locals and/or popular with tourists. So a local philly cheesesteak is definitely something we want to try. And we will definitely check out the Reading Terminal Market thanks again for that suggestion!

>>PaulRabe: Thanks for clarifying the train situation! We will definitely be taking the SEPTA from NJ. So guessing getting off at Suburban Station is the easiest way to walk to RITTENHOUSE AREA? Also never rode the SEPTA but does ticket pricing differ depending on which station we get off at?

>>NewbE: Love museums but we aren't there long enough to spend an entire day at a museum...perhaps save that for another visit! Do you know any smaller museums/galleries that we can explore in about 1 hour or so?

>>Birdie: We wanted to stay around Rittenhouse because it seems to have a lot of restaurants and it is also close to the SEPTA train station that we will be taking into Philadelphia. We will only be there friday afternoon to Sunday morning so we might not be able to check out the campuses. But will try to check out the area around the university! Thanks!

We are definitely going to the Mosaic "Magic Gardens" check out the liberty bell, perhaps the chemical heritage foundation museum and check out the spruce street harbor park on Saturday. and planning on doing Schuylkill Banks Boardwalk on Friday and look into other things to do besides eating.

Are all these locations perhaps walkable from RITTENHOUSE and walking distance within each of the locations? Would not mind taking public transportation but we are prone to getting lost...lol

Thanks again guys for all the suggestions and clarifications!!! I really appreciate the help
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 02:22 PM

> Also never rode the SEPTA but does ticket pricing
> differ depending on which station we get off at?

Exiting at any station in Center City (ie, the three I mentioned) would cost the same no matter where you started your journey. For rail service, fares are based on zones. This pdf
http://www.septa.org/fares/new/2013%...20Brochure.pdf
explains it all.

> Magic Garden ... Liberty Bell ...
> Chemical Heritage Museum ... Spruce Street Harbor Park
> Schuylkill Banks Boardwalk
> Are all these locations perhaps walkable from RITTENHOUSE
> and walking distance within each of the locations?

Philly is on a grid system. Each block is about one-tenth of a mile. Rittenhouse is at 19th Street, and the others:

Magic Garden -- 1020 South Street, the latter being seven blocks south of Market.
Liberty Bell -- Fifth and Market
Chemical Heritage Museum - Third and Chestnut
Harbor Park -- Delaware River (ie, "0th Street") and Spruce
Sch Banks -- Schuylkill River (ie, 28th Street) and Chestnut

Be sure to realize that Center City is bounded by TWO rivers (that's why William Penn thought it was a good idea to put a city there) -- the Delaware & the Schuylkill. Your present plans are to visit the banks of BOTH rivers. Maybe a good idea, maybe not.

The two rivers are about thirty streets, or three miles, apart. Some people can handle that much walking; I would recommend against it for a quick visit. Instead, I suggest you skip a trip to the Schuylkill just to see a sidewalk next to a river. Instead, start at Rittenhouse, walk down to and then east on South Street to the Magic Gardens. After that, walk towards the skyscrapers (HINT: ALL tall buildings in Philly are on Market. If you get lost, just walk towards the skyscrapers) until you get to Chestnut, then walk east (City Hall will be at your back) to Independence Hall & the Liberty Bell (you can peek at the latter through a window). Continue on Chestnut to Chemical Museum and the Delaware River. Ride the Market Frankford Line (aka the "Blue Line") towards 69th Street and exit at 15th Street in order to return to Rittenhouse.

The entire route above can be seen on the map I linked to.
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 06:52 PM

Most of your to-do list is in or near Old City. I think you should pick a neighborhood based on hotel price. Old City, Society Hill, Midtown, Rittenhouse, Center City, Convention Center will all be great locations for you to base yourself in. As PaulRabe said, it's very easy to get around Philly. We can give you great restaurant recommendations in any neighborhood you pick.

I just have a couple of things I disagree with in Paul's wonderful directions. I don't think South st or Chestnut are particularly attractive streets to walk on so I would suggest Pine, Locust, or Spruce instead. I do agree hitting both rivers might be a bit much but Schuylkill banks is a lot more than a sidewalk. It gives you one of the most gorgeous views to be found of the skyline and of the art museum. I try to get down to the banks every time I'm in Philly.

One museum that you may also want to consider is the Mutter:
http://muttermuseum.org
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 08:14 PM

tiffbrose, the Museum of Art isn't the Met, and of course you could spend as short a time as you like seeing just one or two exhibits, but that might not be worth the price of admission to you (although the Rocky Statue is outside).

How about Eastern State Penitentiary? We LOVED it--super atmospheric, definitely off the beaten path, but easy to get to. Memorable.
http://www.easternstate.org
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 07:33 AM

bookmarking--headed that way tomorrow!
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

>>PaulRabe: We will be staying in Rittenhouse area. I was thinking of doing Schuylkill Banks from Rittenhouse Sq Park which according to google maps is about 20 minutes walk give or take? We are used to walking everywhere in NYC so thought that would be okay. Was going to save this for the night time if we had some time to spare.

So for our route we were thinking of doing the following perhaps and let me know if you think it would be too much for one day or if you there is a better more convenient way of getting to the places differently.

1. Rittenhouse ---> Magic Gardens (20 min walk or so)

2. Magic Gardens ---> Liberty Bell (20 min walk or so)

3. Liberty Bell ---> Chemical Heritage (5 min walk or so)

4. Chemical Heritage ---> Spruce Street Harbor (10 min walk or so)

So this is all for Saturday which will be our one full day at Philadelphia. so in between all the places we are trying to hit factor in eating when we are hungry for lunch, predinner, and dinner.

But the walking overrall seems about an hour or a bit more. Seemed doable for us because we walk every weekend for about 45-1 hour when we do go out in NYC. But do let me know if it seems a bit too much?

Also checking the maps the streets seem pretty easy to follow direction wise so we opted to not take the public buses.

So anywhere around where we are staying and where we are planning to go what places would any of you recommend we try for lunch or predinner and dinner?

we were also thinking of hitting independence beer hall for maybe an hour or so and that seems around the area of the places we are trying to go on saturday!

>>Birdie: YES! we will be staying in RITTENHOUSE area. And I also did find MUTTER Museum very interesting! (I have been there previously for a school trip years ago!) We will definitely consider putting that into our schedule. Thanks for the recommendation. Let me know if you also recommend any places to check out for lunch/dinner! Not picky about any type of food especially into spanish/american/bbq/italian basically anything!. We love trying new things!

>>NewBe: Eastern State Penitentiary seems a bit far from Rittenhouse area. Might have to do that perhaps another time in the future when I visit. Thanks for recommending it!!!

Any great classic Philadelphia restaurants or any food joints I should check out with my friends LET ME KNOW PLEASE!!!

Thanks again everyone. This was EXTREMELY HELPFUL!!!!
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 11:15 AM

All of your estimates for walking times seem about right. If you can handle Manhattan walking then I think you can handle Philly as well.

One small warning: the drivers in Philly are ALMOST as aggressive as those in NYC -- ALWAYS look before crossing, and never presume that someone will stop just because the light has turned red or you're in a cross walk.
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 04:58 PM

Spanish - I like Tinto. It's a Garces restaurant. Small plates, fun place.

http://philadelphia.tintorestaurant.com

Pre dinner on a nice evening, you'd find me at an outside table across from Rittenhouse Square at Rouge or Devon Seafood, maybe Parc but I'd probably save Parc for breakfast.

I love Honeys Sit and Eat on South for breakfast. Get there before 9 and before the stroller crowd. Order the grits.

http://honeyssitneat.com

I also like a. kitchen for breakfast (and dinner).

http://www.akitchenandbar.com

Since you'll be down there, you can get a classic cheese steak at Jim's and take it down to the river to eat.

http://www.jimssteaks.com

On your way back to Riitenhouse Square on Sat take a walk through Reading Terminal Mkt but return there on Sun to order lunch to take on the train when you board at Market East. Or get sandwiches at DiBruno Bros on Chestnut.
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

>>PaulRabe: THANKS again for all your help!!!

>>Birdie: Thank you! for all the useful eatery tips! will definitely check these places out!

Thanks everyone!!!
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 08:59 PM

In case you have an interest:
(The only U.S. stop on this tour will be in Philadelphia)
"If you've always been enthralled by the French Impressionists, there is an amazing new exhibit at the Philadelphia Museum of Art that is not to be missed. Just last week, the Philadelphia Museum of Art debuted a new exhibit entitled "Discovering the Impressionists: Paul Durand-Ruel and the New Painting."
What is most intriguing about this exhibit is that museum goers don't just get to see the works of Monet, Renoir, Degas, Manet, and Pissarro, but they get to learn the story behind the paintings and the commitment by their visionary art dealer and champion, Paul Durand-Ruel, to get this new style of painting out to critics and the public.
The exhibit offers art patrons the opportunity to walk through an amazing survey of great moments in Impressionism framed by the untold story of the dealer who discovered and sustained them."