Search

Hotels on Key Largo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Kay

Hotels on Key Largo

Has anyone stayed at Ocean Pointe Suite Resort or Bay Breeze Motel?

We have two children who like snorkeling.

Thanks

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 02:01 PM
HarryR

We stayed there last year and were very satisfied. We had an oceanview suite that was very nice and fully met our expectations. Small beach area, but has a very nice pool area. Can't say we were too impressed with Key Largo, but only stayed there one night on our way from Key West to Fort Lauderdale.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 02:01 PM
HarryR

We stayed there last year and were very satisfied. We had an oceanview suite that was very nice and fully met our expectations. Small beach area, but has a very nice pool area. Can't say we were too impressed with Key Largo, but only stayed there (Ocean Point) one night on our way from Key West to Fort Lauderdale.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Jackie

Stayed at Ocean Pointe 3 years ago and were disappointed. Place was run down and very poorly managed. Many guests had complaints and none were responded to. They did not even respond to a letter I wrote after we got home. On the plus side, they have a huge but very unattractive pool and a small manmade beach. Free continental breakfast is served in the reception bldg. every morning. There is no snorkeling there but it's not far from Pennekamp Park which has snorkeling trips. Actually, the Marina by the Holiday Inn is closer and snorkeling boats go out from there too. The reef is some distance off shore. There isn't much to see off the beach.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 03:10 AM
cindy

We are staying at Bay Breeze this May. I hope it is nice. I will let you know.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Jane

We just spent 4 nights at the Bay Breeze last week. It was fantastic! We had a unit right on their "beach" (manmade). It was one large room w/ a king size bed, wicker sofa, chair and a fridge and microwave for about $160/night. We couldn't have been happier, and I don't think you will find a better deal for the money. There are also grills and a table with chairs in front of each unit, and they have tiki huts with chairs and a hammock right on the beach. It's no 4-star resort by any stretch of the imagination, but was perfect for us. It's a small complex, we even had their entire beach to ourselves a few times. I don't think that you would have this opportunity at many of the other recommended hotels. The location was also great, it was about 10 miles north to Largo and 10 miles south to Islamorada.
We snorkeled almost every day that we were there right off of their beach and saw a few fish, but the snorkeling was much better at Pennekamp or Looe Key (farther south).
Feel free to email me if you have other questions, or I'll be posting a trip report on this board with more details soon!

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 09:32 PM
Marcia

If you're going to pay $160. per night as the previous posters stated they paid, then why not stay at the Westin Beach Resort in Key Largo? It depends what time of the year you are going, but if you're going in the summer, you can get a large room with a pull out sofa for a lot less than $160. This is a 4 star resort & has a lot of activities for the children.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 12:03 AM
lenleigh

My husband and I stayed at the Marriot in Key Largo last June for our honeymoon. Not sure what the rates are like but summer is hot as heck so it is probably the off season. 160$ seems a bit high for a motel so I would suggest checking out other places. Marriot was very nice, the room was the best with a gigantic king bed and jacussi tub, a pretty good restruant for hotel food. The pool wasnt too bad, they have a man made beach but it was a little marshy right off the water. It's really true that the good snorkeling is at pennekamp and some of the parks along the highway. I would reccommend eating at Sundowners restruant, just around the corner from the marriot. The seafood was great, you get a lot for your money,they arent too expensive and a good place to take kids too.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 05:10 AM
Jane

I would agree that you should make your own decision about whether you want to have more ammenities from a large resort or if you would rather have the serenity. of a smaller place.

Marcia is right, I just checked the rates at the Westin and you can get a room facing away from the bay starting at $169/night. Their rooms with a view of the water start at $249 and go to $379/night. But, the Marriot looks like it's going to run about $250/night even for a room with just a view of the tropical foilage. (This is per their website- you can probably find a discounted rate somewhere and do better than this.)

We had everything we needed at the Bay Breeze and were only about 10 steps from the water for the price of a room at the Westin facing away from the bay. We could watch the sunset from our deck with only about 10 (at most) other guests in sight.

But, I agree that it's not for everyone. There's no bar or restaurant at the Bay Breeze. Guess it's a personal decision. But, for the money, I think it's a no-brainer.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 07:43 AM
cindy

I am so glad to hear the reviews of the Bay Breeze. Since I am getting married there on May 11th, I prefer the solitude. It looks like it will be a very quiet, romantic place for our honeymoon.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 07:18 AM
Debi

My family and I stayed at Ocean Pointe Suites last January and we were very happy with the resort. When we travel we like to have all the comforts of home, ie: kitchen, washer/dryer, several tvs, and lots of space for the kids to spread out (children were 9 and 18 at the time).

We rented a two bedroom/two bath unit which was very clean and roomy. We were on the 2nd floor so the view wasn't spectacular, but adequate.

Breakfast in the morning was the usual cereal, fresh fruit, bagels, toast, juice, milk, coffee, and tea. We sometimes took a little extra back to our condo for sancks later in the day.

The pool was large, but sometimes crowded (probably the time of year we were there). The beach was small, but nice for lying out in the sun. We didn't go in the water there, acutally it was too cold.

It's very convienent to many attactions and shopping.

I stayed at the Marriott the year before. Although, it offers things like a beach bar and children's activities it is very expensive and offers only a hotel room. All your meals will need to be eaten out.

When I'm on vacation I prefer to have the privacy my own bedroom, especially when the kids are along.

Hope this helps.