Reload this Page >

Revolutionary War Sites/Boston Hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 09:17 AM
ALF

This summer we are doing a 2-week historical tour in Massachussetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. We want to visit Revolutionary War history sites in the Boston area (Lexington, Concord, Bunker Hill, etc.). Does anyone have any suggestions about good places to go? Also, we are looking for suggestions on Boston accommodations for a family of 4. We are looking for something reasonably inexpensive and comfortable.
Thank!

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 10:50 AM
topping it

To the top

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 12:31 PM
topper

TTT

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Leslie

Since you've got a car, I would advise you not to stay in Boston because of the cost of parking. I suggest you stay in any hotel close to Route 128 or Route 2, and then take public transportation into the City. Also, the hotel prices will be a lot cheaper. I'll suggest the Days Inn on Grove Street in Newton (which is right off Route 128, and next to the Riverside T stop) and any hotel in Waltham or Needham on Route 128. This Days Inn is particularly nice, as it was once a Holiday Inn and totally refurbished over the past few years. There is also a Marriott in Newton at the junction of the Massachusetts Turnpike and Route 128. There are a few hotels in Lexington also along Route 128, or at least nearby.

I suggest you look at the reviews at www.biddingfortravel.com and possibly bid on Priceline. Most, but not all of the hotels along Route 128 have 2 queen size beds in a room, so all four of you can fit in there easily. After you check out Bidding for Travel, come back here with your list, and we'll help you narrow it down.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Local

I like the Peabody Marriott. Good price, great location 20 min from Boston at the crossroads of Rts. 128 and 95. Close to Cape Ann, Portsmouth (NH), and Lex & Con, too!
Portsmouth has Strawberry Bank, Newburyport has shipping and whaling museum, Gloucester has Hammond Castle Museum, Salem has Hawthorne's House of 7 Gables, and Concord has Louisa May Alcott house - if you want a little variety off rev war history!

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Laura

Walk the Freedom Trail. Go to the Visitor's Center on Washington Street in Boston and get a guide who will be dressed in historical garb. They will take you on the tour and share all sorts of tidbits about the people, places, events, etc. It is a great walk of history!

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 05:13 PM
xxx3

I think the Visitors Center is on Boston Common, on the Tremont Street side near Park Street station. That's where the Freedom Trail starts.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Ann

Be sure to visit the Museum of our National Heritage in Lexington. It is free, had a very good introductory exhibit to the Lex-Concond historical events, and always other terrific exhibits. Then you can drive up the road to Lexington Common, and continue to the battlefield road national park (or site) and the new visitor's center there. Be sure to allow at least a full day to the Lexington/Concord area. The hotels in Waltham which Leslie mentioned would be a good base for this area. There's one which is an all suites hotel, though I don't know its current name (Doubletree perhaps). Leave your car outside Boston when you do the inner city sites (Freedom Trail, etc.).

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Big Red

Spend at least a day in the Lexington-Concord area for both Rev War stuff and lots of literary spots in Concord