Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hotels in Berkeley or Stick with SF Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2007, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hi all,
When we go to SF (we're from LA) we usually stay at the Cow Hollow in the Marina district and then drive to Berkeley on those occasions we want to visit the campus. Well, son (surprisingly) just got accepted at Berkeley, so we were thinking of going up one night for Cal Day later this month. Was thinking it might be more practical to stay the night in Berkeley, but have NO CLUE where to stay. Any thoughts? Or should we just stay at our old haunt in SF and drive over?

On another note, if we decide to fly up, and please don't bash me for my complete ignorance, I assume if we're staying in Berkeley, it's best to fly into Oakland?
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berkeley and Santa Cruz are both great places. And really very similar in terms of social climate. In fact, I've heard Santa Cruz as being described as "more Berkeley than Berkeley". Tough choice for your son.

In regard to hotels, try the Durant. Very close to campus, and it will give you a good feel for the ambiance of the town. And yes, flying into Oakland is better.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks OJudy. More Berkeley than Berkeley! Oh, the decisions! (And the pocketbook!).
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 04:20 PM
SAB

UCSC is probably closer to many people's idea of what Cal is, i.e. very progressive, liberal student body. Cal's student body is not as liberal as many assume, I don't think it is as liberal as Berkeley itself.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 06:02 PM

I'm with O'Judy--the Durant should be the top choice to put you right in the center of things at Berkeley. The Berkeley City Club, about three blocks away, is a close second. These are old, old buidings, and you will not have the luxuries and amenities of modern chain establishments, but that should be secondary on this trip.

At these places, which have their charm nonetheless, you will be a block and a half from the campus student union and surrounded by student-frequented restaurants, stores, dormitories and apartment buildings (many of them, typically, as old as the hotels.) Berkeley's not for everyone, great idea stay at one of those places for a taste of it.

Do not stay at the Nash or Shattuck hotels. The age comes without the charm at those places. Whatever they say about being close to campus, it is a not too much frequented part of campus, and those hotels are part of the ordinary business downtown, not the student-oriented downtown.

If you prefer greater luxury and less campus immersion--in my judgement, a mistake on this trip--the nearest modern hotels are the Doubletree at the Berkeley Marina and the Holiday Inn at the Emeryville Marina (just outside Berkeley.) There are great views of the Bay, the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco from these, but they will give you no feel for student Berkeley, although you will get to campus much more quickly from them than than you would from San Francisco or some Oakland airport or downtown hotel.

Also, there is a spectacular big old nineteenth century resort hotel, the Claremont (since you are Southern Californians, think of something on the order of the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego.) It's on the Berkeley/Oakland line overlooking the Bay from a fine residential area in the hills, and is likely to be by far the most expensive choice in the Berkeley/Oakland area, but it has long had a reputation of being overpriced and going downhill. I can't confirm that from personal experience, but it is worth seeing the exterior if you're driving around to see points of interest in the area. (If you do this, don't miss the incredible views from Grizzly Peak Boulevard, which runs along the crest of the hills behind Berkeley, only about a 10 min. drive from campus.) The last three hotel choices mentioned are all far beyond walking distance to campus.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 02:49 PM

It has to be the Durant if you are staying in Berkeley...tradition for parents <grin>. But for Cal Day make your reservation right this minute or you might be out of luck.

Good luck.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Yep. I tried the Durant as soon as it was mentioned, and, as stated, out of luck! Drat! I DID see rooms at the Faculty Club, but is that only open to faculty members?!?
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:06 PM

The Marriott Oakland City Center downtown is ok and right across the street from 12th/Broadway BART. (take short BART ride to Berkeley and cab it, or hop on AC Transit (bus).

There's a Courtyard by Marriott in Emeryville which would be fine too. (cab it to very nearby Berkeley)

Or stay in downtown SF and take BART to Berkeley and cab to campus).

Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:29 PM

The Claremont is very nice. We've stayed there many times while in Berkeley. Yes, Oakland is the closest airport.

By the way, GO BRUINS! Congrats to your son, anyway.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 10:09 PM

"Go Bruins" ???!!!

That "UCRA" = UCLA

For Cal, it's "GO BEARS!!!"

Geeesh!
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 11:45 PM

hi,
I agree with the Claremont Hotel, there is also a European style bakery right across the Street (Domingo street I think), BreadGarden or something like that. Staying at a hotel near the University on Shattuck, no way, I highly advise against that.

As for flying, yes, Oakland is the better way to go. You can take a shuttle (BayPorter, SuperShuttle), or take Bart http://www.bart.gov/guide/airport/oak.asp

Have fun =-)
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:15 AM

I still recommend trying the Berkeley City Club if the Durant is sold out, although probably it will be sold out too. But it's been in business as a hotel (rather than as a membership club) much less long, so maybe there's a chance. Virtually the same location as the Durant, and it's a registered landmark, very interesting architecture by Julia Morgan, who also did Hearst Castle. Check it out:

http://www.berkeleycityclub.com/

It's easy to fall in love with the Claremont from the outside, but considering it's too far away to have a campus feel, and is very expensive, do read the Tripadvisor reviews, in addition to the opinions above, before booking there. By all means, read them if you are tempted to book at the Nash or the Shattuck. (You won't touch them after what you read.)

The Nash's reviews are almost worth reading for comic horror. Then try to figure out why Tripadvisor ranks the Nash actually ahead of the Claremont--a fact that ought to invalidate their rankings forever (as opposed to their reviews, which I think are useful if there are a substantial number and a genuine trend emerges, as with all three of these hotels.)

In fact, read all the Berkeley reviews in Tripadvisor--if the places we've recommended are full, you may be able to identify your best alternative there.

http://tinyurl.com/3bzatd

If you are not used to using Tripadvisor, be sure to scroll down from the availability form you initially see to get to the user reviews. There are also links, to the left of the top of the reviews, to their reviews for neighboring Emeryville, El Cerrito and Oakland, which may be useful if you are finding all the places closer to campus booked.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:57 PM

The Faculty Club is right on campus and a very nice spot for a night or two. It is open to nonfaculty and price is reasonable. Very basic rooms in a beautiful old building. You can check out the place on their web-site.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

You've all given me lots of great tips, and thank you. Now I think I have a good choice.

Oh, and yes, you can say GO BRUINS! to me anytime -- it's MY alma mater!
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 10:16 AM

You're welcome, Surfergirl! As you know, you'll never find a UCLA alum or fan rooting for another team, hence the GO BRUINS! 8-)

By the way, we stayed at the Doubletree for a football game, this past year. They promised us our room would be ready for us at a certain time and it wasn't. We even called on the way but they just didn't have it together enough to keep their promises. The shuttle service was poor and the drivers weren't where they said they would be. The front desk staff and manager on duty were unprofessional. It's not a luxurious hotel, by any means. We would've stayed at the Claremont but it was booked, darn it! We should have just driven home.

I hope you have a very nice trip and good luck with the college choices. Our oldest is in her third year at UCLA - loves it. She's actually going to graduate in four years.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 10:27 AM
lvk

Hey surfergirl,

Congrats to your son (again!) I just clicked on this thread because of an impromptu trip we may be taking to SF this month. I didn't read all the responses, but wanted to let you know that JetBlue is running a special from LGB to OAK for $44 each way right now, and Travelzoo is showing a special rate for the Claremont. Not sure if either of these work with your dates, but it might be worth a try.

Don't you love how Cal releases its letters so much later than the other UC's? My friend's daughter was set on Davis, then she got her (also surprising) acceptance letter from Cal....

Old Apr 29th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Actually (hate to jump in here), but I thought what easytraveler meant was a UC "Rah" as in a cheer, which is something I've heard before, and pertained precisely to the GO BRUINS, GO BEARS thing.

Our trip, by the way, worked out really well -- found a place (sister hotel for Cow Hollow, the Coventry, which is exactly the same as the Cow Hollow, but on the other side of the street), and drove in EARLY for Cal Day. Good thing too, we were there at 9 a.m. and it was already packed!

We spent most of the day hitting up every housing tour offered and stopping at all of the college booths and presentations. Even went to the top of the Campanile -- wow what a great view! We finished off the day with a few pints at the Bear's Lair Pub, at which time, my son made his decision -- he's going to Cal.