Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco hotel choice for 25th anniversary trip

Nov 11th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Will be in San Francisco for four or five nights during the last week of May 2012 for our 25th wedding anniversary. I'd like your suggestions for a great hotel for our stay. We will not have a car, and this is our first visit to the city.

Is the Union Square area a good one for our hotel? Variety of restaurants, good public transportation, etc? As far as the hotel itself, we'd like to keep it under $300 a night, if possible, but we want something nice. Any advice is appreciated.
Nov 11th, 2011, 03:50 PM

Yes, for a couple, Union Square is a good choice - it's the prime shopping area, with restaurants, hotels, boutiques, department stores, the square itself (which is really nice on a sunny day), even shopping centers. Look at the Monaco.

The other choices are:

Nob Hill - very upscale residential area with some excellent hotels. I would never choose to stay there because it's a) at the top of a hill (and the hills in San Francisco, as I always say, put Texas "hill country" hills to shame ) and b) there's nothing "there" -- you have to go somewhere to get a cup of coffee. I like hotels where I can walk out the door and be somewhere.

Fisherman's Wharf - maybe an okay choice for families, but very touristy and not the best choice for a couple.

Financial District - very nice business hotels (Mandarin, Omni) dead at night and on weekends.

Embarcadero - actually my favorite. Some very nice hotels in a lovely real working area, right on Bay, near the Ferry Building and some excellent restaurants in walking distance. Look at the Vitale or the Hyatt Regency.
Nov 11th, 2011, 04:48 PM

I wouldn't call the Hyatt Regency a great hotel and definitely not 25th anniversary material.
Nov 11th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Uma

Check out Hotel Vitale. It's at the Embarcadero, across from the Ferry Building and the Bay. We spent two nights there this past June after visiting Yosemite. Very lovely, intimate boutique hotel.
We were celebrating an anniversary, as well. Came back from dinner one evening to find rose petals strewn across our bed. We had stayed in a hotel on Union Square for the first couple of nights, and much preferred the Embarcadero area. There is a streetcar stop behind the hotel,lots of great restaurants within minutes. Staff was great; room was very nice, with a view of the Bay Bridge.
Nov 12th, 2011, 02:23 AM

With a panoramic view of the City and the Bay from high atop Nob Hill, The Fairmont San Francisco hotel presents an unmatched blend of luxurious accommodations, elegant ...

www.fairmont.com/sanfrancisco

my fav for a 25th

Union Square best deals betterbidding.com if budget challenged
Nov 12th, 2011, 07:23 AM

I agree the Fairmont is very nice, but walking up that hill a time or two each day is a feat.
Nov 12th, 2011, 07:33 AM

The Fairmont is at the peak of Nob Hill - see my comments re that. Loads of people love to stay up there (Fairmont, Mark Hopkins, Stanford Court), but I wouldn't like it for the reasons I stated.
Nov 12th, 2011, 12:22 PM

The California Cable Car line runs right by the Fairmont, and another (Mason?) runs close.

But also down on Union Square is the fabled St. Francis - which still have a lot of style, even if an aged dowager.

I can still remember the amazing coin sorter (amazing to me way back in the 50's when I was young) and think it's still on display. Also, the very traditional doorman was impressive.

see:
Nov 12th, 2011, 12:23 PM

Here is the webpage: http://www.westinstfrancis.com/?ES=T...|S||6829987996
Nov 12th, 2011, 04:53 PM
mjs

I like the Ritz Carlton as it is an easy walk up from Union Square and might just be in your price range. Do not care to be up Nob hill.
Nov 13th, 2011, 04:59 AM

we stayed in the Westin a few years back. Great location and excellent service from the staff.
Nov 14th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! I will look into these hotels. I've been doing some other research in this forum and have found the excellent suggestions by stu dudley and others.
Nov 14th, 2011, 09:56 PM

The Fairmont is one of San Francisco's Grand Dame Hotels. It is lovely.

However,if you stay at the Fairmont, be sure to stay in the newer tower. In the original building, the rooms vary a lot, we were once put overlooking a roof. That will not happen in the tower, and ask for a north facing room to have a view of the Golden Gate Bridge.

The same is true of the Westin (I assume you mean the Westin ST. FRANCIS. SFers do not call this Grand Dame "the Westin".

It, also has a newer tower and the rooms in the original building are spotty.

In both cases, when these hotels were built, it was common to have smaller rooms and modern conveniences and attitudes about location of the rooms were not very prevalent.

If you want a more modern hotel, look at the JW Marriott. This is a block from Union Square....designed by Portman, and it is lovely....glass elevators, a fountain in the lobby with more than life-size sculptures of ladies dancing around it, mimicking the Monet painting. The marble bathrooms are to die for....large marble soaking tub, chrome and glass vanity with a tiny TV.

After Portman it was bought by Pan Pacific before Marriott took over.
Nov 15th, 2011, 04:21 AM

Good update JTRandolph.
Nov 15th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks...the JW Marriott looks great. Am considering that and the Monaco right now.
Nov 15th, 2011, 03:11 PM

Just returned from a two night stay at the St. Francis in a newer tower room. While the downstairs lobby & public area is nice, I was not impressed with the hotel. Room was not as clean as one would expect, and maintenance was spotty. Personally, I would not stay there again. There are other hotels in the Union Square area that I like better.
Nov 15th, 2011, 03:51 PM

I am surprised no one has mentioned The Palace! Talk about location and beauty and romance.

http://www.sfpalace.com/
Nov 15th, 2011, 04:12 PM

Plus their is a SF city guide tour of the Palace Hotel

http://www.sfcityguides.org/
Nov 15th, 2011, 04:24 PM

I did that tour - it is lovely.
Nov 15th, 2011, 05:17 PM

I got the Hotel Vitale on Hotwire.com over a year ago and it was a wonderful hotel in a great location.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO