Reload this Page >

Hotels for Fleet Week? Please Help!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 05:55 AM
Debbie

Several Navy wives will be coming in to join our husbands, who will be arriving via their ships, for Fleet Week, May 23-29. I have done many hours of research on hotels looking for the best deals. Being in the military you learn to stretch those dollars!!! None of us are rich, that's for sure!! Anyway I have come up with several choices and am looking for some input, please.
Marriott Marquis - $185 TWT $139 Fri-Mon
Hilton Millenium - $179
Mar. World Trade Center - $129
Navy Lodge (Staten Island) - $67 includes full kitchen and living room

I realize not many people will be knowledgable about the Navy Lodge but what about transportation between Staten Island and Manhatten?
A lot of things we will have to attend will be on or near the Intrepid so I am also taking this into consideration. Would cab fare cost as much as the difference in lodging prices???

Also, anyone with prior experience as far as past Fleet Weeks held in New York??? Thanks for all your help!

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 07:04 AM
Diane

My daughter takes the Staten Island Ferry to work in the city every day. She loves it, but then she gets a ride for the 5min trip to the ferry. I don't know where the Navy Lodge is, but you might consider it for a few days if it is a quick trip to the ferry. Otherwise, you'll want to stay in the city

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 07:13 AM
Diane

whoops forgot a major point -- the Staten Island Ferry is free, unless you're bringing a car...

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 07:16 AM
Owen O'Neill

In terms of convenience Staten island ranks low if your activities will be onor near the Intrepid. Any hotel in the Times Square midtown area will be more convenient. It's about a 15-20 minute subway ride (depending on how long you had to wait for the train to appear at the platform) to the Millenium or WTC location and then the ferry plus whatever other transport would be involved in getting to the Navy Lodge. The price you quote on the Marriott Marquis is very good. YOU may find a decent hotel for less on the weekend days but the weekday price is close to as good as you'll get for any decent hotel in midtown. If you're copmfortable with clean, safe but older and less upscale accomodations, there are other choices in or close to midtown that would be convenient and less costly. Among those metioned regularly in this forum that you might investigate are the Hotel Edison, Radio City Apartments, and the Beacon.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 11:54 AM
Debbie

Thanks for your replies!!! Still looking for any input as far as Fleet Week festivities from past years too!

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 01:25 PM
Owen O'Neill

Since you mentioned working on a budget - the Intrepid is more or less at the end of 42nd Street on the Hudson. If you're looking for a good selection of places to eat at a wide range of prices (many quite moderate) just walk up 9th Avenue going north of 42nd Street (9th Ave is about the halfway point between Times Square and the Intrepid). There are also some on 8th Avenue but the prices will eba bit lower (in some cases) and the variety a bit better on 9th - fewer touristy places and more places where locals go to dine.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 04:58 AM
rqf

Price is right for Navy Lodge but you are going to spend time traveling.. The ferry ride from Staten Island takes 20 minutes so figure anywhere from 25 minutes to 40 minutes, depending on how long you wait for a ferry. Then you have to take the subway from the ferry to 42nd Street - 20 minutes or so including waiting for a train. At 42nd Street you have to either walk or take the bus to 12th Avenue and from there is a very short walk to the Intrepid. The walk is about 3/4's of a mile and will take around 15 minutes. Cost would be $1.50. Ferry is free and if you purchase a Metro
card you can transfer free from subway to bus. There are two hotels close to the Intrepid. ONe is the Travel Inn on 42nd between 10th and 11th Avenues - (800)869-4630/ The other is the Skyline Hotel at W. 50th and 10th Avenue. I don't have personal knowledge of either place but if they are in the same price range I would opt for the Skyline - this is based on observation from the outside.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 05:06 AM
Owen O'Neill

I know nothing about the Skyline but the Travel Inn is on a funky block and even as a single man who's comfortable going all over Manhattan by myself I wouldn't stay there. Just my opinion but I've seen similar responses from other forum regulars when people asked about the Travel Inn.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 05:10 AM
rqf

An addendum to my previous n0te. The Marriott Marquis would be best in terms of location. It is right in the heart of Times Square. Exit the hotel to W.45th, make a right and walk straight ahead, 3/4's of a mile and the Intrepid is right in front of you. The Mar. World Trade Center is a good price. A cab would cost less than $10 and the ride could take less than 10 miniutes to a lot longer depending on traffic. Other option is subway/bus - 30 minutes or so. If there are four traveling a cab would not cost much more than than subway/bus and if you didn't have a Metro Card subway/bus, per person would be $3. A disadvantage of Navy LOdge. Once you go out for the day not very likely you will return until the day is over. If affordable, the Marriott Marquis will most definately be the most convenient.