Reload this Page >

Parking in New Orleans?

Search

Parking in New Orleans?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 08:27 AM
boz

Parking in New Orleans?

I've posted this question before but don't see it listed so maybe it didn't work the first time.

We will be in Hammond with a rental car and would like to spend Lundi Gras in New Orleans. Is there a recommended place to look for parking that is safe and near public transportation so that we can get to Lundi Gras? Thanks.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 09:30 AM
Julie

The safest thing to do is pay to park in a parking lot. Metermaids down here are viscious. Also, don't leave anything visible in your car, someone may break the window. I can't tell you where to park because I don't know where you want to be. Leave more details about where you want to go or what you want to see or do.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 11:38 AM
Meg

Your first post was here a few days ago, but I can't find it either. There were a couple of responses. One was from John who gave ino about the parking lot at Elysian Fields and Decatur. Maybe he'll repost with the exact info. I posted about using the riverfront streetcar from that parking lot to get you to the Canal Street area. From Canal Street if you want to be further uptown, you can use the St. Charles streetcar line. I'm not sure if the streetcar schedules are altered by the festivities, but they probably are - everything else is! Enjoy!

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 08:46 AM
boz

Yesterday I saw replies to my question from John and Meg and I posted a reply. Now those replies are gone as is my reply?

Oh well. If this reply makes it, Meg, I did see the post from John so I have that info. We don't have to be parked too close to the French Quarter, just somewhere safe that has easy access to public transit that will get us there. We'll try Elysian Fields and Decatur but that seems too close ie. will be full already?

Thanks

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 07:33 AM
boz

Just a follow-up for any other future travellers with a parking question. We went to Lundi Gras about mid-morning. Found parking at Elysian Fields and Decatur but it was $25 for the day.

We drove around a bit and found street parking three blocks or so to the northeast at Mandeville. The neighbourhood didn't seem to bad and some nice cars were parked in the area so we thought it would be okay and everything was fine.

The only problem with the car the whole trip was in Pasadena, Tx, where we got rear-ended stopping at a light. Our bumper was damaged and the body bent a bit, but the other car was probably totalled.

Otherwise, a great trip. We recommend Mardi Gras (for the youthful at least) and New Orleans in general to everyone.