hotels for 1 night in nyc

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have only spent 1 day in my life in NYC. Going in early May for 1 night and wondering whether my husband and I should stay at the Skyline Hotel, the Holiday Inn in Soho or the Howard Johnson Plaza. The main reason for our trip to NYC is to see the Statue of Liberty, so should we stay in Jersey City instead?
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 12:34 PM

I live in NYC and not to familiar with the hotels you mentioned. I don't believe touring the Statue will take all day and there may be other downtown sites you may want to view as well. Therefore, I wouldn't recommend staying in Jersey City. Most areas of Jersey City are run down. If you have only one night I would recommend staying in Manhattan, since it is easier to take the subways and cabs w/in Manhattan. Rather than having to deal w/ the path train, ferry service and traffic jams getting over to Jersey City.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 12:41 PM
GoTravel

I would get a comprehensive travel guide to New York City, read it, and then decide where to stay. Not to be offensive but it sounds like you have not planned this at all. Plan well and maximize your time.

If you are choosing those hotels based on price, I would go to biddingfortravel.com and read how to bid on priceline. The NY Hilton and the Grand Hyatt are going for $85 on priceline right now.

Old Apr 15th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Bo

If you want to stay in Jersey City, there is a nice Hyatt directly on the water (but prices are just as high as NYC).

If you're main goal is to see the Statue of Liberty, you may want to consider staying at the downtown Marriott which is very nice and easily walkable to the ferry which will take you to the statue (FYI, get to the ferry EARLY!!! in the day, or else most of the day will be spent waiting on line).
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 04:42 PM

If seeing the statue is a priority, I would choose one of the downtown hotels, close to Wall St., like the Embassy Suites, and I think you can even see the Statue from some rooms there. You are also a short walk to the Staten Island Ferry, Battery Park, Ground Zero, The South St. Seaport, Wall St and Trinity and St. Paul's Churches.

There is also some great shopping in the area at Century 21.

Hope this helps and have a great time while you are here.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 05:16 AM

I was under the impression that the Statue of Liberty has been closed to visitors since 9/11. Has that changed? I know you can walk around the 'island', but I don't think you can go inside the statue. Anyone have an update on this?
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 05:25 AM

I would stay in Midtown; easy access to transportation to the Statue (which as previously stated won't take all day and you'll be able to take in a few other sights.) As for accommodations, check out these websites: www.travelzoo.com (on the travelzoo home page click on New York City under "Lodging Specials") try www.quickbook.com, or IF you do some research, try Priceline.com (before placing a bid go to http://www.betterbidding.com for assistance.) Also, a good street map is essential - pick up a copy of "Streetwise Manhattan" and find your hotel, major sites, etc. BEFORE you arrive, this will help you to plan your day. Let us know if you need any more help!
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 09:30 AM

If you are taking the 1 or 9 subway to the Statue, make sure that you are in one of the first five cars (ahead of the conductor) because they are the only ones that open at the South Ferry stop.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 07:16 AM

I would say a definite NO to the Skyline, not familiar with the other two. If you're going to the Statue, why don't you stay downtown instead? Regent Wall St. is gorgeous. Ask for any promotions they are offering. The city's very quiet now.