Day trip from Red Bank, NJ to NYC

Apr 7th, 2002, 05:29 PM
Donna

Day trip from Red Bank, NJ to NYC

As close as we live to NYC, I hardly ever go there and don't know that much about it from a traveler point of view. Now I have relatives coming to visit from Europe and we are going to go there for the day. I want to go to the Statue of Liberty, (or at least see it from afar) and then go to the Empire state building, St Patrick's, 5th Ave maybe Central Park, Rockefeller Center. I am not even sure that is all possible in a day. BUT if it is, would it be best to go by train, or ferry? If by ferry are there different places to get the ferry?Basically I need someone to help me figure out the best itinerary. Should we hit the Statue of Liberty first and then the other places or visa versa? If it was just my husband and me I wouldn't worry so much. But really want to make it a great day for the relatives. On top of it we don't have time to go for a dry run. We are going on April 29. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

Apr 7th, 2002, 05:33 PM
lisa

I can't give you much info on how to get into NYC. I will let someone from NJ help you.

St. Patrick's, 5th Ave shopping and Rockefeller Center are all very close to one another. In fact, St. Patrick's and Rockefeller Center are all *on* 5th Ave.

Since the line to get the ferry to the Statue of Liberty can be long, I'd suggest you go there first thing in the morning. Then head uptown to the Empire State Building at 34th & 5th. From there, head north on 5th Avenue until you see the rest. You can stop to have lunch somewhere along the way.

Enjoy!

Apr 8th, 2002, 08:10 AM
thereuare

I would just suggest seeing the Statue from afar, as the lines there can get quite long and take up a good part of the day.

I think all of the things you want to do are "do able" in a day.

I think you should just check the ferry and train schedule and take whichever is more convenient. However, since your relatives are coming in from Europe, it might be a nice "novelty" to take the ferry.(and i could be wrong here, but i think trains are much more prevelant in Europe than ferries)

I don't know if you'd take the ferry from the Atlanitic Highlands (if that's the one you're refering to), but i THINK the ferry passes the statue on the way to NYC, so you may be able to cross that off your list before even making it to NYC! If not, the Staten Island ferry DOES pass right by "the lady", and you can just take it one way, stay on the boat and take it back.

I would also suggest taking them to Chinatown as it's another place that is quite "different."

Apr 8th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Jayelle

I would normally take the train into the city. It should take around 1 1/2 hours each way from Red Bank, and is convenient. However, I have friends who always take the Staten Island Ferry into the city when they have guests.

If you take the Ferry, you would pass by the Statue of Liberty and you would get off the Ferry downtown. You would then need to work your way back uptown to get to the other sites that you want to see.

If you take the train, you would get off at Penn Station. You would be just a block over from the Empire State Building, but you would be forced to go back downtown to see the Statue of Liberty and then back up to mid-town to take in the rest of your sites. Given what you want to see, the Ferry might be the better way to go.

Your list of sites is doable. Just get a good subway map and plan out the trains that you would need to take.

Apr 8th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Merilee

Hi Donna...I suggest that you take the NY Waterways Ferry located in Weehawken into the city...it's $10.00 round-trip per adult and the parking fee is $6.00...once you arrive in the city there are free shuttle buses that will take you to the most popular areas...for instance, you mentioned the Empire State Building, 5th Avenue, St. Patrick's Cathedral, etc....you can take the shuttle bus that will leave you off at 34th & 5th and then you can walk about half a block to the Empire State Building...after that you can walk back to 5th Avenue and continue on past the library at 42nd, St. Patrick's and Rockefeller Center on 50th & 5th, all the way up to 59th Street where the Plaza Hotel and Central Park are located...as for the Statue of Liberty, why not just stop at Liberty State Park on the way to the ferry...you will get a great view of the statue and Ellis Island...if you need specific directions post back and I'll respond...are you planning on dining in the city?

Apr 8th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Scott

If you live in Red Bank....to go to midtown take the train to NY Penn Station...to get downtown take the train to Hoboken, and then ferry over...this will also allow you access to the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island, but these two are much easier to access from Liberty State Park...take the TPK North towrds the park/liberty science center....

Apr 8th, 2002, 11:17 AM
suzanne

I second Merillee's suggestion. Waiting on that 3-hour-long line (ok, i'm exaggerating a *little*) to the Statue of Liberty is no picnic. Then once you get there you have to wait at least *another* hour to get into the statue. I've lived here 1/2 my life and haven't had the patience to get that far. SO, see the statue from far away...Liberty State Park is a good vantage point.

You can do all the other things you mentioned one after the other. I have no idea how long the ESB line is...I've only done it at night (last year for the 1st time ever) and the line was about an hour long. Then head up 5th to Central Park and you'll see all the other attractions you mentioned.

Apr 8th, 2002, 12:36 PM
goNets

You can do all of these in a day, but I'm with the other folks who say don't go to the Statue of Liberty but take a New York Waterway Ferry tour out of 38th St and sail right by it.
Since you're coming out of Red Bank take the NJ Transit train (hr and 5 minutes one way) to New York Penn Station. Take a train that will get you into New York by 11am and you should have enough time for this itinerary. Then walk to the Empire State (if it's not a clear day--don't bother and even so a lot of people say the wait isn't worth the view), St. Patricks, Rockefeller Center and Central Park. It's a lot of walking but if you take your time and linger for a lunch here a drink there, it's a piece of cake.
Then around 3:00 go to 57 St. or Broadway (whichever's closest to pick up a NY Waterway bus (Red white and blue) to Pier 17 on 38th St. They have a 90 minute cruise that leaves at 4pm. This is where you'll see the Statue up close.
Here's the NY Waterway site's page on their cruises. http://www.nywaterway.com/sightseeing.html
Here's where you'll find their bus routes. The bus ride is free since you'll be buying a ticket for their cruise. On your return you can take the bus back to Penn Station with enough time to catch a 7:00 pm train back to Red Bank or you can stick around or take the bus to an area for get a nice dinner. Here's the map of their bus route. http://www.nywaterway.com/commuter_bus.html
If you're guests are war buffs you can also take a tour of the SS Intrepid just north of Pier 17 around 42nd St. Have fun.

Apr 8th, 2002, 12:37 PM
goNets

You can do all of these in a day, but I'm with the other folks who say don't go to the Statue of Liberty but take a New York Waterway Ferry tour out of 38th St and sail right by it.
Since you're coming out of Red Bank take the NJ Transit train (hr and 5 minutes one way) to New York Penn Station. Take a train that will get you into New York by 11am and you should have enough time for this itinerary. Then walk to the Empire State (if it's not a clear day--don't bother and even so a lot of people say the wait isn't worth the view), St. Patricks, Rockefeller Center and Central Park. It's a lot of walking but if you take your time and linger for a lunch here a drink there, it's a piece of cake.
Then around 3:00 go to 57 St. or Broadway (whichever's closest to pick up a NY Waterway bus (Red white and blue) to Pier 17 on 38th St. They have a 90 minute cruise that leaves at 4pm. This is where you'll see the Statue up close.
Here's the NY Waterway site's page on their cruises. http://www.nywaterway.com/sightseeing.html
Here's where you'll find their bus routes. The bus ride is free since you'll be buying a ticket for their cruise. On your return you can take the bus back to Penn Station with enough time to catch a 7:00 pm train back to Red Bank or you can stick around or take the bus to an area for get a nice dinner. Here's the map of their bus route. http://www.nywaterway.com/commuter_bus.html
If you're guests are war buffs you can also take a tour of the SS Intrepid just north of Pier 17 around 42nd St. Have fun. After doing this I hope you'll start going to NYC on your own. It's a shame to live so close to such a great city and not take advantage of it.

Apr 8th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Merilee

Donna, the directions to the ferry from Red Bank are as follows...Garden State Parkway North to the New Jersey Turnpike North (always follow the east signs, the west takes you out and back in again)...to Exit 16E...follow the signs leading to the Lincoln Tunnel (495) and exit at Weehawken (last exit in NJ)...at the light keep right but continue through it and bear right...at the next light at Baldwin Avenue (tunnel will be on your right) make a left and proceed over the train tracks and then make an immediate left...proceed straight to the ferry, which will be on your right...I can't remember the exit number for Liberty State Park (around 13), but that's where you can view the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island and then get back on the turnpike...I think what you want to do is doable in a day especially if you start early in the morning.

Apr 8th, 2002, 01:11 PM
David

I have been to The City several times. The best way to get a good overall highlight of Manhattan is to take a Gray Line bus tour. You can hop on and off of the double-decker bus as you please. They come every 15 minutes. You can get tickets at the Port Authority Bus Terminal at 8th Avenue and 42nd Street. From Penn Station take the A,C, or E train Uptown to 42nd Street. For a first time visitor I would recommend the Lower Manhattan Tour. You can buy tickets for the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island Ferry at the same time you buy the bus ticket. You get a great view of the Statue of Liberty on the Ferry ride, so no need to get off on Liberty Island. I think that Ellis Island would be a more interesting place to stop, being that I have done both. The Lower Manhattan Tour also includes the Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Central Park South, and Times Square.

Apr 8th, 2002, 01:26 PM
rqf

Following is a possible route to follow. Take a NJ Transit train to Penn Station. Introduce yourself and relatives to the NYC subway system. Purchase a $4 Metro Card that allows unlimited use of bus and subway service. Enter the subway at 34th and 7th Avenue or 34th and 8th Avenue. Take a subway uptown to 59th Street. If you enter the subway at 7th Avenue take a #1 or #2 train to uptown to 59th St. If you take the subway on 8th avenue take an A or C train Uptown to 59th Street. When you exit the subway you will be at the southern edge of Central Park. Enter the park and walk over to 5th Avenue. When you get to 5th avenue walk south on 5th to St. Patrick's and Rockefeller Center. Both are at 50th Street. When finished there walk or take a bus to 34th Street and 5th Avenue where the Empire State building is located. When finished walk over to 34th Street and Broadway and if time permits stroll into Macy's. Take an N or R train downtown to Whitehall St/ South Ferry station.. Exit the subway and you will be near Battery Park. Here you make a choice - the Circle Line ferry to the Statue and Ellis Island or the Staten Island ferry to view the Statue from afar. The ferry is free and you would come back to the city on the same boat. In addition to the Statue sail by you also get a great view of the skyline. If you walk up Broadway after leaving the ferry you get to go by Ground Zero.. At Fulton Street and Broadway enter the subway and follow signs to the #1 or #2 train. Take either Uptown to 34th St. and you will be back at Penn station for the train home.

Apr 8th, 2002, 04:44 PM
juli

Donna:
I am from the area and my boyfriend lives across the river from NY. Another option is to drive to Jersey City and take the ferry from there as well. Exit 14B on the turnpike takes you to Liberty State Park to see Lady Liberty. To my knowledge no one has been permitted to be on the island since 9/11. Then get on the parkway got to exit 14C you can take the exit to the light and make a right,(Montgomery st.) you are now heading towards where you could've caught the Exchange place path station into the WTC but for obvious reasons it doesnt run anymore. But the ferry service does run from the dock there. Parking can be a problem but here is my suggestion. There are a few parking garages. On the right corner of Warren/Montgomery,Montgomery the street you made a right on there is a high rise The Gotham you can park there for about $15 per day. My boyfriend live there which is where I get this info. If your lucky you can get a spot out front where you dont need a parking permit and its usually not crowded on Sat.
Then you can also get a great view of the skyline too. The ferry is really quick too. After you take the ferry you can hop a shuttle into the heart of the city. As a previous post suggested. You may want to forgo the subway for taxi's. It can get alittle annoying getting lost and wasting time waiting for subways. We find that the cab can be $7 and they get us there fast.Plus you can sight see while your in traffic.
I suggest getting a map of NYC. Barnes and Nobles has some good easy to read ones and then you can get a layout of the city and figure out the best way to plan your trip.
I hope I didnt confuse you and if youhave any questions feel free to e-mail without the xx's.
Good Luck
Juli

Apr 26th, 2005, 04:09 PM

Best ferry to take would be from Atlantic Highlands or Highlands (check www.seastreak.com). It goes by the Statue from a little distance but your visitors would get a good view -- also goes under the Verrazano Bridge. It takes 40 minutes (but does cost more than the train) versus a train from Red Bank which could run about an hour and a half (an express train during rush hour would be a little shorter but you could not use an excursion ticket at that time). www.njtransit.com