Hotels.com & Travelnow.com Cancellation Fees

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever tried to cancel a hotel reservation that has been made using travelnow.com or hotels.com? I am looking to book a hotel which says that I must cancel before 6 pm day of arrival in order to avoid a penalty. No problems there.

However, Consumer Reports says that Hotels.com will charge you their own $20-$25 cancellation fee. Travelnow.com is operated by Hotels.com - I can find no mention of a mandatory $20 cancellation fee above and beyond the hotel's policy anywhere on their sites. Does anyone know if this is true, or is Consumer Reports wrong? Thanks for your assistance.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:18 AM

Hotels.com was going to charge me $20 for cancelling a hotel I had booked through them. It was my fault for not reading the fine print, but when I mentioned that it was more than 6 months in advance a VERY nice customer service rep never did put the charge on my credit card. I appreciated what she did, but will not use them in the future since we cannot always control what happens in life and cancellations may have to occur again.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:58 AM

Soleil - I'm confused by one part of your message. I understand that travelnow.com is owned by hotels.com (or, will take your word for it, I have no knowledge of travelnow.com). But that definitely doesn't mean that the cancellation policy of one website has anything to do with the cancellation policy of the other. They're still two separate entities, right?

But what I'm not sure of - you say "Consumer Reports says that Hotels.com will charge you their own $20-$25 cancellation fee." Do you mean CR says hotels.com will charge the fee if you book through travelnow.com and cancel? Or only through hotels.com?

If the latter, and travelnow.com doesn't mention a cancellation policy anywhere, then I don't see why there's any reason there would be one.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 11:44 AM

Expedia charges $25 for cancellation, and makes it clear when you make a reservation.

To find cancellation policy go to the main page of any website, hotels.com in your case, and see if you can find "site map".

Or there may be a search window.

Cancellation policy must be on every website, just take your time to find it.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 11:53 AM

This is weird, I tried, and couldn't find their cancellation policy!!

But: if you go to "contact us" and send them an e-mail, you can get a written answer (if you're lucky, I assume!)
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 12:13 PM

This is travelnow's cancellation policy:

"What is the cancellation policy on my reservation?
When you are completing the Secure Lodging Reservation Form, the Cancellation Policy will be provided in red or there will be a link to read the cancellation policy. You can also view the property information page to find the cancellation policy. These policies will vary from lodging to lodging, so you must read each one carefully. In general, the standard increments are that you must cancel the room(s) by 4 or 6 PM on the arrival date, or 24, 48, or 72 hours prior to your specified arrival; however, these are just general guidelines and the specific policy of the property will prevail. If you cancel before the deadline, generally you will not be charged a penalty. Canceling after the stated period will result in a cancellation penalty fee. Some reservations are non-refundable and cannot be cancelled after booking.

Reservations of "Special Internet Rates" will apply a cancellation fee regardless of the timeframe of cancellation. If the cancellation is outside of the time allotted, you may be charged for one night's stay including tax recovery charges and service fees. Please read the specific cancellation policy provided for each property on the site and in any emails regarding your reservation."
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 12:38 PM

Can you also find the cancellation policy on hotels.com? I'm curious why I wasn't able to.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 02:21 PM

I was able to find it at both sites by clicking on "terms of use". At hotels.com you can find it at the bottom of the main page.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 03:04 PM

I am almost 100% certain you can cancel your travelnow.com booking without penalty.
The biggest difference between hotels.com and travelnow.com is that hotels.com is dealing in PREPAID reservations and travelnow.com is dealing with traditional published inventory... meaning that you are responsible for understanding the HOTELS cancel policy, 6pm, 24 hours, 72 hours, whatever...
It is clearly stated when you make the booking and it has nothing to do with travelnow.com.
Does that make sense at all?

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 03:13 PM

Is this it:

"You may cancel or change your prepaid reservation, but you will be charged the cancellation or change fee indicated on the reservation order form"

you will know how much only if you make reservation?

Hmmm....
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 03:19 PM

As you go through the booking process you will be notified of the hotels cancellation policy. So, yes, until you determine the property and rate you are interested in, you will not know the policy.
This is the same as any travel agency ... even the hotels own website.
Go to the Embassy Suites in Chevy Chase, MD and you will see that the hotel cancel policy is 6pm day of arrival for guaranteed reservations.
During special events, the hotel changes the policy to 72 hours, or even 30 days.
This has nothing to do with travelnow.com and they can't possible tell you the policy until you tell them where you want to stay and what rate you are interested in.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 03:21 PM

Oh... wait, you must be referring to hotels.com prepaid reservation.
Regardless you are notified of the policy before you hit that last "Purchase" button.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 03:23 PM

When you go to a hotel's website directly, many of them offer different discounts - AAA, AARP, senior, etc... with different cancellation policies. I wonder if this is the case with major sites like Hotels.com or Orbitz. Anybody knows?
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 03:25 PM

This is from my recent Hotwire booking...
No Refunds. Period. How's that for a cancel policy?
No problem, I READ the policy during the booking and took out a 15.00 insurance policy to insure a refund in the event of cancellation due to illness/death.
I mean, there is nothing wrong with these policies because they advise you first...

Hotel Reservation Restrictions

Hotel reservations available through this Site are subject to the published conditions of carriage and rules of the applicable hotel. The following restrictions will apply:

a. All bookings are final and cannot be changed;
b. The name and exact address of the hotel are not shown until after payment has been made for the booking;
c. Reservations cannot be cancelled, refunded, exchanged or transferred to other individuals. Once you book a reservation, your credit card will be charged for the amount shown — regardless of whether or not the reservation is used;
d. Room type will be determined based on the number of guests provided at time of booking. All rooms are booked as non-smoking (subject to availability). Hotel room assignments are determined at check-in and upgrades are not available;
e. The maximum number of rooms that can be booked at one time is four. All hotel rooms will be booked under the same name and the guest under whose name the reservation is made must be present at check-in;
f. Bookings made through Hotwire are not eligible for hotel reward or club programs;
g. Hotwire's minimum age requirement for checking into a hotel is 21;
h. Upon check-in, guests must present a valid ID and credit card in their name (the amount of available credit required will vary by hotel). Debit cards may not be accepted; and,
i. Hotwire rates do not include special fees charged by hotels upon check-out (e.g., energy charges, convention fees, resort fees, parking fees). Customers will be required to pay these fees directly to the hotels at check-out time.

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 03:29 PM

Faina,
If you are booking PUBLISHED inventory, yes, this applies to all websites.
What is published inventory?
Basically it is anything that does not require prepayment. Most hotels do require a credit card guarantee. Even if you call a hotel directly and make a booking, guaranteeing to a credit card you are held to specific cancellation rules and may be charged a penalty for cancelling after the deadline.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 03:31 PM

OUCH! is everybody against us, travelers