Hotel with Balcony near Flatiron area New York City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2015, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband loves to stay at 4 star hotels and wants one with a balcony. My son lives on East 13th and we will be visiting the end of February Any suggestions for hotel around there with a balcony ? .
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 08:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What in the world are you going to do on a balcony in 11 degree weather...shovel the snow off it?
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 09:10 PM

Are you also looking for an outdoor pool?

Here is a hotel on 13th and 4th Ave.

http://www.unionsquare.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 09:42 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been to NY twice in Feb . . . and not once would I have ventured on to a balcony. 8 or 9F once and high teens the next. Last trip, the parapet outside my window collected 2 feet of snow over night completely obscuring the views.
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 04:08 AM

Hotels in NYC typically don;t have balconies - although some upscale ones may have a few suites with terraces.

BUT - Feb is way too cold for hanging out on a balcony. Are you sure you're prepared for the weather here? The air temp at the moment is about 8 (farenheit) and with windchill you're talking below zero. A balcony would be useless. Out high today is expected to be about 18 - but more like 10 with windchill (I know Chicago is supposed to be the windy city - but NYC is both damp and tends to be very breezy if yo are anywhere near the harbor or any of the rivers.
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 04:10 AM

Oh - and we've been having snow every 2 or 3 days - from a light flurry up to about 12". The pattern is expected to continue at least for the next week at least. (Lucky we're been just too far south to miss the seven feet of snow Boston has had.)
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 04:49 AM
J62

A friend of mine likes rooms with balconies because he is a smoker. If the choice is either go outside the front door of the hotel, or step out on a balcony it's a no brainer, especially off-hours.

He is going to go outside to smoke, regardless of the temperature. We don't need to know why lovelucy is asking for a balcony, nor try to talk her out of it. It's a pretty simple, straightforward question that doesn't need the typical Fodors mockery.

This does seem like a simple errand for the son to scope out. He can make a list of hotels around where he lives and go check them out. Or if he is unable to walk around at least he could let his fingers do the walking.
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 05:03 AM

Some rooms at the Hotel Giraffe have balconies, but it's further up in the 20s on Park.
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 06:00 AM

Not trying to be snarky here. But I've seen hotels that are all smoking and that INCLUDES no smoking on the balconies. Make sure you check that out. The fact is that people on the balcony above you or beside you don't want to smell cigarette smoke any more than they would in their room.
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 06:36 AM

Sorry but your friend is a self entitled jerk J62 Make no mistake, if i'm on my no smoking room balcony and get a wiff of cigarettes, I'm diming you out to management in a big way, so expect a knock on your door and an additional housekeeping charge! I will be snarky

this might help

http://www.tripadvisor.com/HotelsLis...-zfp42331.html

I don't think it's listed but loved my stay on a high balcony at The Kimberly which is on the right side of town but wrong block.
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 07:18 AM

A self-entitled jerk for smoking on a balcony? And not one, not two, but 5 replies mocking the OP's request? This thread epitomizes everything that is wrong with these boards. Why can't people who find the question silly simply ignore it??
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 07:31 AM

NewbE, I hope you aren't including my post in your numbers. There is NOTHING wrong with politely advising someone looking for a balcony to smoke on that sometimes that is not allowed. It's quite possible that thought never occurred to them.
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 07:42 AM

To summarize:

1) There are very few hotels in NY with balconies.
2) The Giraffe has some rooms with balconies but it's farther away from your son's place.
3) If the purpose is to smoke, be aware you might not be allowed (by law or hotel policy) to smoke on the balcony.
4) It's cold outside.
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 08:06 AM

Why can't people who find the question silly simply ignore it??

Perhaps after a recent trip with a two hour commute which forced me to empty my suitcase because it was that smoke ridden that all my clothes in the suitcase in the trunk smelled. When we picked up the car it had been freshly applied with deodorant that couldn't possibly go deep enough. 20 minutes later the smoke came out of the apolstery. And this was after signing a contract that included a no smoking policy in Thrifty vehicles, that I signed upon check in.
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 08:13 AM

If the OP had said they wanted to use the balcony for smoking they would have received much more useful information - holding back pertinent info is really just playing a game with the members here who are trying to be useful.

I don't know the smoking rules of each hotel - but do know that for many co-ops the no smoking rules do apply to terraces and balconies (as well as all public areas and often each apartment as well).

The OP is obviously allowed to provide whatever info they choose - but this may very well be self-defeating.
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 08:13 AM

And to be clear, the OP did not suggest that the balcony was preferred to smoke on. That was another poster's suggestion.
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 08:44 AM

Ooops. So it was. I thought somehow it was the OP reporting back.

Meanwhile, I'm curious why the OP hasn't gotten back to her other thread asking about hotels almost a month ago (without the mention of balcony).
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 09:08 AM

Vivian Vance might know the answer to that q
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 10:31 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
"I'm curious why the OP hasn't gotten back to her other thread"

She's only posted a handful of times in the last few years. We may be waiting for a while.
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 11:10 AM

Why do people always assume the posters here lack a sense of humor? Mainly because they do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -