Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hotel Wellington or Buckingham in NYC? Can't decide.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three of us are going on a girls' week to New York and have reservations at the Wellington for about $430 a night; we think we will like the location--we've never stayed in this area before. However, I was checking out the Buckingham Hotel which is nearby and it looked as if it might be a tad nicer. The cost there is about $450 per night, not much difference. Does anyone have experience with these hotels to tell me which you think would be better? We're looking for space, cleanliness, and kitchen facilities. Thanks.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 04:56 PM

The neighborhood is fine - not far from a lot of things but away from the craziness of Times Square. Have never been inside either hotel - I would have a look at tripadvisor for reviews.

(Since I live here I have personal knowledge of only hotels I put clients or relatives in - or at which I attend events - or sponsor them - so basically 4+ or 5*).
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, nytraveler--I have read mixed reviews on both hotels, some a little bit scary. But I was trying to do my best to stay under $500 per night. Prices have gone way up in the last couple of years. I guess we will just stay at the Wellington since I made the reservations well in advance of our November 5th trip date (Chocolate week!) We go to NYC at least once a year and still find so many things to do each time, but we have never experienced chocolate week and plan to attend the demonstrations. Thanks again.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 07:33 PM

doxungirl would you happen to have a review to share on the Wellington Hotel? I am now thinking of staying there in April.

Thanks!
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 07:42 PM

Have you shopped for specials with other hotels? That price seems awfully high for the Wellington. It's where my in-laws stay and they're cheap.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 09:07 AM

Quikbook has great specials and the Wellington starts at $100. Don't know if it's applicable when you're coming but it's worth investigating:
https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1...f193ebeef346a9
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 09:11 AM

Sorry, that link was definitely not correct! Try this one: http://www.quikbook.com/