Reload this Page >

Hotel suggestions needed-Austin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Sue

Going to a convention in Austin in October. Would like to go 4 days early and need suggestions for a reasonable stay for those days . . .and interesting things to do. Are there any B & B's worth staying at? How hard is it to get tickets for Austin City Limits? What else is "up" in Austin. We've seen the Bat Bridge (Congress Bridge) - loved it and will go again if it's not too late in the year. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 07:00 PM
TB

Stay at the Four Seasons by Town Lake. October is an excellent time to see the bats and you can see them from this hotel. Other things to do are: go hiking in Mckinney Roughs Nature Park(not Mckinney Falls), visit Gruene(a cool town nearby), drive out to Lake Travis, 6th Street, and I haven't a clue on getting tickets to Austin City Limits.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 05:05 AM
loangalsal

We stayed at the Hotel San Jose and loved it! Here are 2 websites about it -
http://archrecord.construction.com/B...e/overview.asp -or try-
http://www.sanjosehotel.com/

Excellent location on South Congress. Right across the street from the Continental Club, near good restaurants and cool shops, plus it is close to downtown. Have fun! Try to go on a tour of the Capital, it is an incredible building!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Ally

I can't comment on a hotel, as I live here and therefore have never needed one, but I do hear excellent things about the San Jose. Of course the Four Seasons is always excellent.
As for Austin City Limits. First find out if there is a show while you're here. If there is, you need to be there by six, and just get in line. Tickets are given on a first come/first served basis, so if you're in line early, there will be no problem getting in. The wait can be very long as the doors won't open until about 9:00, depending on what time the show is, so bring some water, and sack dinner. Or, there are a couple places to get food in the immediate area, so if you have someone to hold your place in line, the other can go grap some take-out.
If you have not been out to The Oasis at Lake Travis,put that on your list. Even if it's cold (in Oct. it could be warm or cold. We've had 80 degress to 40 on Halloween) it's a great spot for a Margarita or other drink of choice to view the sunset.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 08:56 AM
lisa

The bat viewing in Austin peaks around August/Sept. but there are still some to see in Oct. Check out http://www.batcon.org/discover/congress.html

The Four Seasons is probably one of the most expensive hotels in Austin. (Not sure when you said a "reasonable" stay you meant price) The hotel San Jose can be had for less than $100, it's very cool, but few amenities. The Austin Motel, 2 doors down and also tres cool, is even less.

As someone else said, tix for ACL are given out last minute, first come, first served. You pretty much have to know when there is a show taping and listen for the times - usually on KUT FM.

There are TONS of things going on in Austin. What are your preferences? Museums? Music? Art? History?

You can send me an email at [email protected] if you wish. Also you can check austin360.com

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 10:24 AM
lisa

Don't know when you will be in AUstin, but if it's late September, just read this:

The Austin City Limits Music Festival, slated for Sept. 28-29 at Zilker Park, is offering presale tickets at $21 for both days, an amount Charlie Jones calls "the deal of the century." You'll have to trust him on that because the lineup isn't expected to be announced until July 1. You can buy those earlybird tix at www.aclfestival.com

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 06:22 PM
Sue

Thanks for all your help! We're looking forward to our visit in Austin. We love to dance - any good places for the two-step?

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 04:51 AM
Anne

Be sure to check out Chuy's for great Tex-Mex food and margaritas (their kitschy decor alone is almost worth the visit). If you like BBQ, take a mini side trip out to Driftwood and eat at the Salt Lick, or go to County Line on the west side of town. If you're into healthy food have lunch at Good Eats on Barton Springs road. They have great vegetables (and that's coming from someone who doesn't really like vegetables). Go to Threadgill's on N. Lamar for great comfort food. Have breakfast at Las Manitas on Congress Ave. As you can see, one of my favorite things about Austin is the food!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 06:34 AM
sandi

The Driscoll Hotel is a beautiful old hotel on 6th. Check it out.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 07:16 AM
austinite

I'm not a two-stepper, but here are the country western dance halls that I know of in the area...

>Broken Spoke - a real "texas" experience, older crowd
>Dallas Night Club - known as the official "hook-up" club probably because of the wednesday night "wine me, dine me, 69 cent me" drink specials.
Pretty young crowd.

Not sure if these are still open or if western dancing takes place there, but you may want to check into them:
Midnight Rodeo
Hanovers in Pflugerville
Dessau Music Hall

You can find the club listings under "music" on the austin chronicle website....www.auschron.com.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 07:42 AM
lisa

Sue - Austinite was right - on about the Spoke and Dallas Night Club. The Broken Spoke has live music, Dallas is a DJ. THe Spoke is nearer to downtown, and Dallas is in north Austin. It may depend on where you stay.

Have fun. October in Austin is a nice time. Usually not too hot. In the 80's. Then again, the weather here lately has been waaaaay off. The coolest July on record.

And definitely check out auschron.com

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 08:19 AM
Bellis

I live in Austin and if money was no object, the Four Seasons would be a high runner...Next would be the Stephen F. Austin Hotel, The Driskill and the Marriott Capital on 12th...If you want alternative accommodations, check out the Hotel San Jose, a hip spot that is just south of Downtown on South Congress. Close to the San Jose is a great B&B called the Miller Crocket House...Kathleen runs a great old home and serves a mean breakfast! She has a great terrace overlooking downtown and a beautiful, shaded lawn for relaxing in the afternoon. * Hope that helps...If you're seeking good restaurants, there are tons in the area w/in walking distance from the Conv. Ctr...We have a Roys, PF Changs, great steaks at Eddie V's..If you looking for something off beat and a locals favorite, the hot spots are Vespaio and Wink...Avoid most touristy places, but definitely go the the gospel brunch on Sunday at Stubbs.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 08:22 AM
Paul

Probably this nicest hotel there is the Holiday Inn, right off Interstate 90. Make sure you take time to visit the Spam Museum while you're there. Not sure what you mean about Bat Bridge. Minnesota mostly has lots of mosquitos this time of year. Good luck.
Paul

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 08:27 AM
austinite

I think Paul is thinking of Austin, MN not Austin, TX. We dont have a I90 or Spam Museum in Austin, TX.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 11:49 AM
GAIL

Sue, Hope you have a wonderful time in Austin, it's a great city. However since your coming in October and extending your stay over a weekend, I would suggest checking to see if the Texas Longhorns have a home game that weekend. Although not impossible, it can be difficult finding a room on weekends when the Horns are playing at home. You can usually find a room, however you choice of hotels may be limited, unless uou make your reservation well in advance.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 12:06 PM
Michelle

The Driskill on 6th st. is beautiful and historic within minutes of happening nightclubs, restaurants and the capital. An excellent website to find out more about Austin - www.austin360.com

Enjoy!