hotel suggestion for Mauii and Kawai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are planning 10 days or so in Hawaii in May. We are thinking one night in Honolulu to see Pearl Harbor, then on to Mauii for 5ish days and then to Kwaii for about 4 days. We would like to stay on the beach, have a nice pool.
ANy great suggestions? Thansk!
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 02:02 PM

If you provide a price range for the hotels, you may get more helpful responses.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 02:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
correct spelling of island names: Maui and Kauai.

i mention this not to be a nit-picker, but if you want to Google on the internet or use the "search" feature here on Fodor's it will help you to know the spelling.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 04:07 PM

The Sheraton Maui is very clean,has a friendly staff, beautiful pool & great snorkeling on their beach at Black Rock. It's also in walking distance(by the beach path) to the shops at Whaler's Village & to The Hula Grill-for the best Mai Tais on the Island, live music, & awesome sunsets.Ahhh ,you will love it.
We also loved The Princeville on Kauai.I believe it has changed it's name. It was unbelievable! We stayed there for our 25th Anniversary. What a great time at both places. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 04:45 AM

Check travelzoo. They had the Sheraton Maui available for $199/night - a good deal I believe.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 06:04 AM

If you decide on the Sheraton, 5th night free.

http://hawaii-exclusive.destinations...ii_SPG35HI_ALL
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 07:06 AM

Is that the Sheraton where that has good snorkeling right of their beach?
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 09:01 AM

Reply to suze, yes, it definitely had good snorkeling last month
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 04:40 PM

Yes, it is the place with the beach at Black Rock.(great to snorkel around).It had a nice pool & a seperate large kiddie pool.When we stayed , we got the 5th day free with a 7 day stay. It also included a free breakfast buffet. So, make sure you inquire about specials. Sometimes, they are not offered unless you ask. Our price included a car rental too. We had booked through Liberty Travel. We did not have one complaint about the whole Maui trip.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 08:54 AM

MAui - Sheaton at Black Rock is nice and first resort on Kanaapali although it has been renovated completely. Last time I was there they had big issues with the beach eroding after the construction - but it is still great for snorkeling and watching the torch diver off the cliffs at Sunset.
Rooms re ok, would recommend getting a place up on black rock (all new) instead of the renovated main hotel. Best pool is the Marriott - amazing pool with swimup bar and slide tunnel thru the "volcano". THer breakfast is amazing also. Great for poeple watching and convenient tot he ocean (few steps away).
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 09:04 AM

Since no one has mentioned any of the Wailea resorts, I will. The Grand Wailea, the Fairmont Kea Lani, The Four Seasons and the Marriott are all on or close to fabulous beaches and most of them have awesome pools, especially the GW. I like Wailea better than Kaanapali.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your help.
We don't have a "set price" but I think it is the Westin, Marriott, Sheraton range. We love to snorkel and I am a lap swimmer, so that would be "ideal". We also like to beach walk and be able to walk to restaurnats, shops etc - if we are making a wish list. If you have any "revisions" based on these criteria, let me know.
Thanks again for all of your help.

Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 04:21 PM

Bob and Vee, here's the answers from the last time...
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 04:28 PM

The Fairmont Kea Lani is in about the same price range as the Westin. It would be worth your while to check that out.

Bill
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 12:08 PM

The Kea Lani IS about the same price as the Westin but the difference for us (with kids) is that you have a one bedroom suite with a separate eating area, living room space and kitchenette as opposed to one room. We decided to go this route because two rooms was too much and we wanted a hotel gor the first half of our trip - Not inexpensive but seem to get a little more space for your dollar...
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:36 PM

For Kauai, the Marriott in Lihue is on a nice bay with Kalapaki Beach, and a huge swimming pool. Beach is usually swimmable as it is protected. Nice service and centrally located. Have not seen the Sheraton, but understand the garden view rooms are across the street from the beach.

Hyatt is probably the best on the island with gorgeous pools, but is pricey. Beach is normally not swimmable you would need to go to Poipu Beach Park.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your help. will book next week and let you know the upshot.
Sue