Search

Help with Maui & Big Island Hotels!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Maui & Big Island Hotels!!!!!

Let me re-phrase my "Outrigger" question of an earlier post:

I have been reading posts here, and have pretty much decided on Outrigger Waikiki for Oahu.

I've seen all the good reports on Fairmont, Four Seasons and Ritz for the best stay on Maui. May be a bit too steep !!

I was just wondering why no Outrigger properties are ever included with the Hyatt, Westin, and Sheraton in Maui reports??

Has anyone stayed at any Outrigger on Maui recently?? If as nice as website purports, why don't any Fodorites talk about staying at any except in Waikiki???

My husband and I are planning a 15th Anniv. trip in Jan or Feb '06: 5 days Oahu, 5 days Big Island (2 in Hilo), 7 days Maui (2 in Hana). I have been waiting 22 years to come back to Hawaii, and I MUST impress my reluctant husband (this will be his first time there) enough to bring me back again (without breaking the bank this time!!!)
Would like beachfront, "Lovely" but don't need "Lavish" for both Maui & B.I. Thanks for anyone who can help!!!
Old May 11th, 2005, 02:56 AM

How about Sheraton on both islands? Use Starwood Preferred discounts (35% off and membership is free) and you can probably afford oceanfront rooms in both hotels.
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:44 AM

On the Big Island I would suggest the Hapuna Prince, which is set on the beautiful white sand beach, Hapuna beach and a very reasonably priced resort. On the Hilo side, I would suggest the Palms Cliff House, which is oceanfront, but no beach, just fantistic oceanside views. Have a great time - I love the Big Island!
Old May 11th, 2005, 05:35 PM

Why is your husband reluctant? If he dislikes crowded, touristy places, try the Maui Prince hotel, just south of Wailea...my husband and I really enjoyed the Maui Prince, which is on a nice, uncrowded beach that is good for snorkeling. The pool is small, but we're not pool people, we prefer the beach.

There are also some nice beaches, snorkeling, and coastal areas south of the Maui Prince to explore if you have a car. You need a car if you're going to stay at the maui Prince.

Old May 11th, 2005, 06:02 PM

Check out tripadvisor.com for reviews. They look good for the Outrigger and it is ranked #17 out of 55 on Maui. The popularity rankings also have $ amounts so you may find another you may want to check out.

And, yes, Ritz, 4S, Fairmount, etc. are a different world and worth every penny...if you have lots of pennies!
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:17 PM

I got the Sheraton Maui for $140 a night through Priceline and a free upgrade to an ocean view room with my starwood card. (I also got boxes of chocolate covered macadamia nuts, Maui calendars and bottled water because I have a starwood card.)