Hawaii-which islands-what hotel?

Jun 9th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Hawaii-which islands-what hotel?

My husband and I are taking our adult children and their spouses to Hawaii in August for my husband's 60th birthday. Our daughter likes to do active things: swim, hike, ride horses, rock climb, and our son likes to sleep. I love flowers and architecture and my husband loves me.
We are planning to arrive in Honolulu and leave from Maui. We will be in Hawaii Aug 21-31. I need hotel suggestions. This is our first trip to Hawaii. I would like to keep the per night rate between $200 and $350. We were wondering if we had enough time to visit the big island for a few days also. Can someone plan an itinarery for us. Also any tips on getting good hotel rates. I know I am asking alot, but I would appreciate any and all help. Thanks in advance.

Jun 9th, 2007, 05:09 PM

Lots of info:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564

www.visit-oahu.com Free brochure. There are over 400 websites for lodging, restaurants, attractions in the brochure & on the site. Click on: OVB Yellow Pages

www.mauihawaii.org

www.visitmaui.com Free brochure

www.bigisland.org Free brochure

www.kauaidiscovery.com Free brochure

www.kauai-hawaii.com
Jun 9th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll start ordering brochures.
Jun 9th, 2007, 07:16 PM

Hi, mrscpa - we've gone to the BI, Kauai, and Maui. I didn't think I'd really like the Big Island that much, but it turned out to be one of our favorite islands. We stayed at the Hapuna Beach Prince and loved it - gorgeous beach there, and then we stayed at the Kilauea Lodge in Volcano when we went to the National Park. We used the Entertainment Book to get a good rate on the Prince hotel. Two of our favorite Hawaiian things were on the island: hiking out to see the lava flow at night and going to Akaka Falls - a waterfall that's over 400 feet tall. Both big wow moments for us.

In Maui, we stayed at the Renaissance in Wailea - it's a great area - really beautiful with wonderful sunny weather. In Maui, we went snorkeling at Molokini, went to the Old Lahaina Luau, went to see the sunrise at Haleakala, and did the road to Hana.

On Kauai, we stayed at the Marriott in Lihue - we stayed for free because my husband had Marriott points. We did the helicopter tour and a boat cruise along the Na Pali coast, and snorkelled at Poipu, Ke'e, and Tunnels. Also went to see the Spouting Horn.

If you do a search for any of these things, I'm sure a lot of info. will come up for you and help you decide what you'd like to do. Have a wonderful trip!

Jun 9th, 2007, 08:26 PM

If you're husband (or any of you for that matter) is military past or present, you can stay at Fort DeRussey which is a great place right next door to Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu and save bunches of $$$.

Three islands in 10 days is pushing it. I'd recommend only 1 or 2 islands this trip.

Many of the tours will pick you up at the hotel, so if you have a rental car as well, you can split up to do different things.

DS & I just got back from an adventure filled 12 days on BI & Kauai. Check out my trip reports.

You can also save a bundle by buying the Entertainment Book (entertainmentbook.com). Right now, it's $9.99 and has a huge amount of coupons and buy one get one (usually up to 4) that will save you money if you remember to use them.
I also recommend Warren & Annabelle's on Maui - a humerous & magical show.

Old Lahaina Luau is a must on Maui, if you've not done it before, but get your tickets NOW as they sell out often.

On Oahu, do Jerry & Sharon's Circle Island tour ( on your own) just do a search for it on this website.

I also strongly recommend the culinary Chinatown tour with PakePorkChop.
Jun 10th, 2007, 02:38 AM

I should clarify - I wasn't recommending going to all 3 islands for this trip, just giving details about the islands so Mrs. can make an informed choice. We did Maui alone for our first trip and then a combo of BI and Kauai for our second. It really helped us to know what each island had to offer. It's hard to choose, isn't it?

Mrs. you will have a wonderful time no matter which islands you choose, but I would definitely do 2 this trip and 10 days is enough time for you to do it. I hope your husband has a great birthday. You're going to have a lot of wonderful memories from your trip.
Jun 10th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I think we are down to two islands. Oahu and Maui. The kids can do Island hopping if they want. I realize it will take a lot of time away from sightseeing and relaxing. I'm staying put. I've booked the Hilton Hawaiian Village for Honolulu,(no mititary people in our group) but I need something on Maui. I was thinking of the Grande Wealia (sp) but it is too pricey for us since we are treating this time for everyone. A friend suggested the Embassy Suites but I'm not sure for the first trip to Hawaii. Any thoughts? Other suggestions for hotels? I ordered two Entertainment Books. If I take the 2008 Hawaii book, they will send the 2007 books for $5 each (postage only). When they arrive, I was told to call and cancel the 2008 Hawaii book and order the one in my local area. Postage is free. Three books for $40. Not a bad deal. Are the plantation tours any good? Thanks again for your answers. Keep them comin'.
Jun 10th, 2007, 07:26 PM

I know you have booked Hilton Hawaiian village but just wanted to mention HIlton Hawaiian Village has condos right on teh property..you might like that with a family..stil get all teh benefits of the Hotel but if you wish..a condo with a kitchen and a doorman can come in handy if on a budget...
BTW, I found some great HAwaiana gifts at Costco near Pearl HArbor..and there used to be a Crazy shirts outlet near there too..
Jun 10th, 2007, 07:48 PM

You may want to check for condo's on Maui. You can search this site for posts on Maui condos or also vrbo.com. Lahaina Shores is the only condo complex I'm familiar with, and many units are individually owned. I think I've seen many positive posts on the Noelani complex.
Jun 10th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Ag3046

There are multiple arboretums in Hawaii. The best, in my opinion, is the Allerton Gardens on Kauai, just for the sheer seclusion and serentity of the place.

For your trip, you only have time for 2 islands. The Grand Wailea is very child oriented and very over the top. You might try the Maui Prince- it is on a superb beach and there is a large catamaran that leaves from their beach for snorkel cruises.

Jun 12th, 2007, 10:52 PM

Oahu and Maui are good choices, Kauai was not exactly my favorite. There's a huge choice of condos in Maui, this year we stayed in Napili which for us was the best choice, being on a beautiful swimmable beach and easily accessible to other parts of the island. There was a ranch there too but can't recall the name.
Jun 13th, 2007, 04:16 AM

I think you have made a great choice for Oahu, at the HHV. I've stayed there a couple of times and really enjoyed it.

Island hopping is very accessible. You can take day trips, either organized tours or on your own w/car. I've been on day trips to Maui and Kauai. On my next trip to Oahu, I'll go to the big island for a day trip. This way you get a flavor of each place. I go by organized tour, since I have been and will be traveling solo. I like the small group dynamic (6-8 people in a mini-bus).
Jun 13th, 2007, 04:41 AM

We are going to Maui next month. We are staying at the Maui (Marriott) Ocean Club. They have a new building (Lahaina Tower) that just opened are are offering a 5th night free. You can get a 2-BR "villa" for between $2050-$2650 for 5 nights. The villa can accommodate 4-6 adults easily. The rates are a little lower if you join (or are a member of) Marriott's reward program and use rate code "M11" when booking.

We've stayed at the Maui Marriott before and enjoyed it. There is ongoing construction, but from reading reviews, it doesn't sound like it's that bad, especially if you book an oceanfront or oceanview suite.
Jun 13th, 2007, 05:40 AM

I forgot to add that the Sheraton Maui, which has a nicer beach and better snorkeling than the Marriott, is also offering a 5th night free. They only offer standard rooms, no suites or villas.

http://hawaii-exclusive.destinations...ii_SPG35HI_ALL
Jun 13th, 2007, 07:07 AM

I've not stayed at the Sheraton on Maui, but second the location for various activities - surfing, snorkeling, eating, shopping - easy walk (paved along the beach) to Whaler's etc. Nice torch lighting ceremony each night, complete with diver from Black Rock.
Jun 13th, 2007, 07:08 AM

I forgot to say we snorkled Black Rock and ate at Leilani's , shopped at Whaler's. FUN!
Jun 20th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We are now going to the Big Island instead of Maui. My husband thinks this is fine since the Maui hotels are so much more expensive than BI. He said we would go to Maui without the kids next time and not have to pay for the second room. Very practical. ( or maybe cheap) At any rate, we booked the Hilton Waikoloa Village.

My next request is: things to do and places to eat on Oahu and BI. How far is our hotel from the volcano. Can we take a night boat tour to see the lava flow in the dark? Or is that just for cruise ships? Any suggestions for car rentals. Do you think we will need a van or SUV for 5 people, or are the sights close enough for a convertible?Thanks again for your suggestions.
Jun 21st, 2007, 09:10 AM

Hi, mrs.cpa - I think you'll really enjoy the Big Island. Our favorite restaurants were Cafe Pesto and the Kilauea Lodge. We also ate at the Hapuna Beach Prince - I believe the name was Coast Grill. All were very good. Cafe Pesto had really good pizzas that you can customize with local ingredients. And at the Kilauea Lodge, you eat in front of a big, cozy stone fireplace. Their menu is a little bit exotic, but we just had fish, and it was very good.

For activities, we toured the Volcano National Park, hiked out to see the lava flow at night (things are changing at the park, so not sure if this will be an option when you're there - hope so!), snorkeled at Kealakekua Bay, swam at Hapuna Beach, went sailing, and then we drove all over the island to see the Waipio Valley lookout, Akaka Falls, etc. We also stopped to along the way to buy local fresh fruit, smoothies, and masaladas - yummy donut-type things that they sell on the island. I think you've made a great choice choosing to go to the BI.
Jun 21st, 2007, 09:16 AM

I meant to add that we had a convertible for the 2 of us, and I think it would be a bit cozy for 5 people, especially if you have luggage. I've never seen a night boat tour to see the lava; we hiked out, and it took several hours. If you're able to do it, wear comfortable shoes and bring flashlights and water. When we did it, we hiked pretty far out, and there weren't any facilities in that area. Of course, things are changing all the time at the park so your hike could be completely different. Have a great trip.
Jun 21st, 2007, 09:27 AM

If you want to fit all 5 people in one car, I would not get the convertible. It would be a tight squeeze, not to mention impossible to transport all your luggage with you to the hotel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO