Search

Hotel Recommendations in Seattle and Portland

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 08:29 AM
tpl
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Recommendations in Seattle and Portland

My husband and I are taking a road trip from the Bay Area to the Pacific NW later this summer.

Right now, we're planning on staying a quick night somewhere near Eureka, a night in Portland, then driving up to Olympic NP for a few days, and finally staying in Seattle for a couple nights. We will be flying home.

In Seattle, we're looking at the Alexis vs the Monaco. Any opinions on how these hotels compare? We stayed in the Alexis once before (probably 5 years ago!) and loved it, but were in a spa suite -- this time it will probably be a deluxe room. Never been to the Monaco, but for the same price, I think we can get a suite.

In Portland, we're deciding between the 5th Avenue Suites and the Hotel Lucia. Thanks for your input.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 08:58 AM

In Portland, I've seen rooms at both the 5th Ave and the Hotel Lucia. Lucia (newly rennovated and re-opened about a year ago) has fairly small rooms but chic fasions. 5th Ave is perhaps more conservative in its stylings but still very nice.

You should also consider the Hotel Vintage Plaza (next door to the Lucia) which is in the same league with these two. The Vintage Plaza and 5th Ave are both owned/operated by the Kimpton Group, which also operates the Alexis and Monaco in Seattle.

Andrew
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 02:33 PM

I live in Portland and the 5th avenue suites is the place to be. Its right in the heart of the city and the rooms are alot nicer.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 04:47 PM
tpl
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. Will be staying at the 5th Ave. Suites based on recommendations.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 03:10 PM

I have no opinion to offer but it will be a full day to drive from Eureka to Portland. Looking at your plans, you probably won't have any time to explore Portland. I don't know if you want to do this but I wanted to let you know driving distance, just in case.

Old Apr 14th, 2003, 04:44 PM

Sara has a great point. If you're merely passing through Portland after driving all day from Eureka, I don't think it matters where you stay. I mean, you might as well save yourself some money and stay at a nice hotel in the suburbs. Portland is worth taking a look at, though - too bad you have only one night here. You probably won't see anything.

Another option would be staying on the Oregon Coast instead of even going to Portland and taking 101 right up to Olympic NP. In that case you might find Cannon Beach a nice place to stop.

Andrew
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 08:51 PM
tpl
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice.

We have stayed in Florence and nearby towns before, but wanted to check out Portland this time.

I think we'll probably be coming from Redding or Eureka first thing in the morning, so we shouldn't get in too late.

I think I would prefer to see even a little of Portland, so we'll know something about if for the next time, when we can stay longer. Also, I got a very good rate at the hotel, so staying in the suburbs wouldn't be much cheaper.

Old Apr 14th, 2003, 09:01 PM

tpl-
I have stayed at the MONACO in Seattle-
it is an awesome hotel, design wise...
they even offer you a pet for your stay---ie.a goldfish in your room...

There is wine and cheese in the lobby every nite- a very happening place...
We totally loved it... as we had also stayed at the MONACO in SFO---While the Seattle Monaco did not have the Louis Viutton Check in Desk- it was still gorgeous!!!!

I would go back to the Monaco in a heartbeat....

The room decor of the Alexis is NOWHERE as funky and different as the Monaco, IMO....The Alexis is closer to Pike Place Market and the ferries....

Here is room at the Alexis:
http://www.alexishotel.com/alxroom/index.html

and here is a room at the Monaco:

http://www.monaco-seattle.com/html/roomsSuites.htm

This room on the Monaco Website is a STANDARD ROOM-- as this is the room we stayed in-- ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!! and award winning design....

Old Apr 15th, 2003, 08:38 AM

In Portland..make sure you get to the Pearl District and walk around the galleries,check out Powell's and maybe have dinner at The BlueHour.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 10:06 AM
tpl
Original Poster

Thanks all,

We're going to try to leave a day earlier, stay in Ashland and see a play. From there, we may stay in Portland for 2 nights instead of 1, or stay an extra night on the coast or in the Olympics.

I did book the suite at the Monaco -- it looks great.