How far is Kauai from Honolulu??

Old Apr 14th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How far is Kauai from Honolulu??

Hi...
We are in Honolulu from 6/3 to 6/10 ..we were thinking of 4 -5 nights in Waikiki and then on to Oahu ..but now maybe thinging Kauai instead?? How would we get to Kauai and is that a better option to relax? Is there shopping there?? Thanks sooo much..M
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 06:03 PM

I am confused here. Waikiki is a beach of Honolulu on the island of Oahu. 7 days there is enough. Yes, go to Kaui after your week there. It is nearby, accessible by air. Check the schedule with Aloha or some other airline. It is more relaxing than Waikiki or Honololu. It has good shopping, but it's hardly a shopping mecca. I think Honolulu would be for shopping. You can get Nihikau necklaces on Kauai, and there are some good artists working there. It's not a city-type place though, like Honolulu.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 07:16 PM

Mariottmo:
You are planning a Hi vacation and you have no idea what you are talking about. Before you ask for recomendations here, why don't you 1st look at a map and get some of your facts and geography straight?
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 07:42 PM

marriottmo, check out one or two general guidebooks to help you plan. i would recommend especially "Hawai'i for Dummies" which has quizzes to help you choose which islands to go to.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 08:42 PM

You need to study the islands before you plan your trip. Waikiki "is" on Oahu. Perhaps you've mistaken and thought it was on the Big Island as many assume Honolulu is on the Big Island because it is a large city and the largest airport. Be sure you know what's where or you will eventually end up in the wrong place! If you do decide to leave Oahu you can fly interisland airlines like Hawaiian Airlines.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 11:34 AM

Hi Marriottmo,

I saw your separately posted correction - you might want to post it here so that others know what you meant to ask.

Anyhow - I think 4 nights in Waikiki will give you time to get out and explore other areas of Oahu (beaches, north shore, pearl harbor, circle the island drive, etc.) as well as getting your fill of Waikiki (which is mostly shopping, beach, and restaurants). That should allow you 4 nights on Kauai, which I think would be more interesting and a greater change of pace than staying at Ko'Olina. There isn't a ton of stuff to do out at Ko'Olina - so I'd certainly pick Kauai over it.

It is about a 20 minute flight to Kauai + airport time (allow 60-90 minutes to check-in). Interisland flights run about $65-70 each way, if booked early. Kauai is far prettier and has more to offer than staying at Ko'Olina.

Have a good trip and don't worry too much about the typo's and confusion about place names.