CONSTRUCTION DOWNTOWN PORTLAND

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip out there in september 07. Have heard considerable things regarding construction downtown. Would like suggestions on lodging down there not too close to the construction going on.Thanks
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 01:44 PM

Oregon or Maine????
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 01:46 PM

If Oregon, there is construction but it is limited to a couple of streets.. here and there. A lot of it will be finished by summer, if not, there are so many hotels in Portland, it will be easy to choose one farther away.
Which hotels were you considering?
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 02:02 PM

Scarlett, the construction on the Bus Mall downtown (5th and 6th Avenues) is supposed to go on for almost two years. I walked by the Hotel Monaco (former 5th Avenue Suites) on Friday and the whole intersection there at 5th and Washington is a mess. Half of the sidewalks are closed, and there's some machinery right in the street doing stuff. I wouldn't want to stay at that hotel right now! I don't know if this will all be cleared up by Sep 07 or not, but I wouldn't count on the constructions schedules to hold firm...

I would probably recommend the Hotel Vintage Plaza (sister property to the Monaco) or the adjacent Lucia, on Broadway, a few blocks from the construction and usually well recommended. There's also the newly refurbished/opened Ace Hotel (SW 10th/Stark, just across Burnside from Powell's), which I honestly know little about except that it just opened this last week. That's probably the closest hotel to the Pearl District and also convenient to the Portland Street Car.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 02:37 PM

Hi Andrew, I figured that the construction we walked by Friday.. , would move after a bit of time, even if the entire project is taking 2 years, I didn't think it would all be in the same exact spot.
How did you like the hotel? We went in to visit, we will be staying there in a few weeks.Sorry we missed seeing you there! That would have been a hoot
I would go for the Lucia or Vintage or even the Inn@Northrup Station..
Re: The Ace Hotel, www.pova.com is a great place to research Anything Portland.
Here is what they had to say about the Ace...which I can see as I sit here lol.

"In February 2007 the Ace Hotel Group opened a 79-room property in downtown Portland. The project, a renovation/transformation of an older hotel, will be a sister property to the original Ace Hotel Seattle. With room rates ranging from $85-$195 per night, the Ace is designed to appeal to travelers who crave quality but who are also mindful of their budgets. This demographic includes a growing class of creative professionals in the 25-50-age range who travel widely for business and pleasure. According to Ace co-founder Alex Calderwood – who, along with his partners, recently landed on a Time magazine list of top 100 innovators – the Ace Portland is the reinvention of “a classic downtown hotel, restoring a sense of history and place while reinterpreting those details for a sense of modern bohemia.” Ace Hotel Portland, 1022 S.W. Stark St., Portland, Ore. 97205; 503.228.2277; www.acehotel.com.

Andrew, have you been to the Living Room Theatre yet?
* across from the Ace Hotel is a new Livng Room Theatre where you eat , drink and be merry while watching movies..looks very nice *
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 08:09 PM

No, I've not been to the LR theatre yet but I've certainly heard of it. There is a sort of closing night party for the Portland International Film Festival (which is running right now) at the LR Theatre on Sunday night so maybe I'll show up to that.

As for the construction, I think that since they will be installing MAX tracks (including the electrical wiring, etc.) all the way up 5th Avenue that the construction will be ongoing for quite a while. We'll see.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 06:50 AM

We had an event in downtown a few weeks ago, so stayed at the 5th Avenue Suites. Did not hear any construction noise, even though it was going on. We were on the 10th floor, if that makes a difference.

Wish I could remember when this was, but in the Oregonian there was a large article on the whole construction project. It mentioned that they are focusing on small areas and doing them fast, then moving on. So each spot will not be dug up for long. I remember it saying something about each spot taking less than 2 months to complete. So that should be nice for everyone, visitors and tourists alike.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

SORRY OREGON THANKS
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Scarlett
looking for something in the down town area. Perhams Lucia, Sheraton 4 Seasons, Marriott What do you suggest down town?
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 01:12 PM

We always stay at the 5th Avenue Suites which is now named The Monaco. Lovely hotel.
We will be there in a few weeks and we are looking forward to it.

I think the Lucia is in a good location and the rooms are nice though small..I am spoiled by the Monacos suites.
I don't know about the Marriott but the Westin is very popular and very nice right in the heart of downtown.
The Paramount has noisy construction going on there too..
Look into the Heathman..downtown, old fashioned big old hotel, but nice.
Or the Governor..another big old fashioned nice hotel.
September is a fabulous time to be here, warm sunny dry days, cool nights.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 01:48 PM

The Four Points Sheraton downtown is in a good location too (across the street from the waterfront park if that interests you, close to the MAX light rail) but I've heard it can be noisy in the rooms. Read the Trip Advisor reviews. It's a step below the "botique" hotels (I've been inside and seem a room - looks fine but nothing special). There are two Marriotts in downtown Portland - the one on Broadway and the one right down by the waterfront. I've never been inside of either of them, but the waterfront one would presumably have views if that's important to you. The one on Broadway is in the same general area as the Vintage Plaza, the Lucia, the Benson, the Paramount, the Westin, and the Heathman (all on or just off Broadway).
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 02:56 PM

I have stayed at both the Marriotts and they were fine - if you book through POVA (Portland Oregon Visitors Assoc )it will include parking and a breakfast.
I have also stayed at the Hilton downtown which I thought was very nice-
they have a great bar and restaurant on the top.

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:54 PM

The Marriott on the waterfront - you should specify a river-view room, or they'll usually put you on the back side.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 02:19 AM

We will be in Portland in August and had considerable trouble deciding where to stay.
I asked the then 5th Avenue Suites about the construction. I was told that the construction right around their hotel will be completed by August.....so we booked there.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 08:49 AM

Hi, we had a very nice stay in the Symphony Suite at the Heathman Hotel last summer. A very nice hotel that has received numerous awards for design and high standards. There is a very nice restaurant there, also where we enjoyed dinner and Sunday brunch. Very friendly staff and grand, gorgeous lobby. Have fun in Portland! ***kim***
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 10:27 AM

Now that it's a little later--how is the construction around the Monaco? Is it really torn up? Would another hotel -say, the Westin, downtown Marriott been any better?
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 11:35 AM

We have been over by and in the Monaco several times these past few days.
You don't hear the noise from inside the hotel, it is quite noisy outside. This is on Alder St where they are renovating the Macys and building a hotel (The Nines) on top of the building ( don't ask why )..
We will be staying there next week , and we are looking forward to it. I need some pampering after packing for months!!
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 11:43 AM

Sorry, I see that someone mentioned the Paramount as an option.
Warning:
The entire city block in front of the Paramount is dug up, a huge hole in the ground and construction will be going on for months.
They are building an underground parking garage with a park on top.
The hotel will not guarantee you a room not overlooking the mess and noise.
And their prices are not great, you get better deals in most of the other hotels.