Hotel near Newark Liberty for one night

Feb 21st, 2010, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Hotel near Newark Liberty for one night

Can anyone recommend a hotel at Newark or near by, we are flying in from Tampa, arriving about 3.00pm and have one night in Newark before flying home to the U.K., which is about 9.30pm the following evening. Is there much to see in our 24 hours in the area, we have heard that some areas are not very desirable (we are a couple of Seniors, so are not looking for anything too busy)
Feb 21st, 2010, 09:33 AM

I'd suggest that you stay at a Newark Airport hotel of your choice. There are many websites that can help you choose based on price, amenities, and so on.

If you're arriving at 3 in the afternoon, you could have a nice dinner in the reasonably immediate vicinity, a 15- or 30-minute cab ride away from your hotel, even during the evening rush hour. Casa Dante in Jersey City is a good choice if you like Italian food in a traditional atmosphere.

On the next day, you'll need to store your luggage (logically, at your hotel) once you have checked out in the morning. Frankly, there's not a great deal to see locally. I'd recommend not venturing into Newark, even to visit its well-regarded museum.

On the other hand, you could easily go into New York City for the day. The simplest way would be to take a cab directly from your hotel. Or, you could return to the airport on the hotel's van, then take a shuttle van into the City. If you're a little more adventurous, you could use the hotel van to connect to the AirTrain monorail at a Newark Airport terminal, and take that to the nearby NJTransit station (perhaps the hotel van would take you directly there) for a frequent train (NJTransit, not Amtrak) into New York Penn Station. This method is a bit more complicated, but a lot cheaper and more reliable in rush hour traffic.

Since you'd need to leave New York by, say, 6:00 to have enough time to collect your bags and check-in for your UK flight, you'd have a good part of the day in New York. The choice of what to do with seven or eight hours in the City is up to you.
Feb 21st, 2010, 09:37 AM

With that much time, I'd suggest you get a hotel in Manhattan and enjoy your time there.
Feb 21st, 2010, 09:53 AM

I have stayed at the Marriott on airport property many times. Could not be more convenient. Well managed and quiet. The restaurant is acceptable.

The hotel has a shuttle. The shuttle can drop you at the air link that connects to Manhattan in the morning, and pick you up on return.
Feb 21st, 2010, 09:58 AM

Agree to have dinner in the area and next day head into NYC. There's little to see in Newark and much of the area is undesirable. Car service from the hotel will be easiest - but pricey - about $70 in each direction - or you can take the hotel shuttle back to Newark (esp good if you can check your luggage there) and then Air Train and NJ Transit into Manhataan.
Feb 22nd, 2010, 04:59 AM

I think you have to decide what if anything you want to do on the day after you arrive. If you have interest in going into Manhattan, I think you would be better to sleep in a NYC hotel. You can walk out in the morning (leave your luggage with the hotel) and spend the day sightseeing or just walking around. You could easily take a bus tour for half or full day if you've never been to NYC. kingofnyc.com is very good. Go back to the hotel, grab luggage and go straight to the airport. If you stay at a Newark hotel and go into Manhattan, unless you stay at that Marriott on the airport proper, you'll first have to go collect your luggage at the hotel and then head to the airport. Sounds cumbersome to me. Jersey Gardens is a shopping mall near the airport and has shuttle buses to/from the airport if you decide not to go to NYC.
http://www.jerseygardens.com/go/gmap.cfm
Feb 22nd, 2010, 08:51 AM

<<>>

Even at the Marriott, you have to go back, get your luggage and take a shuttle to the terminal, so I'm not really sure how it differs from any other hotel in that regard.
Feb 22nd, 2010, 09:19 AM

The Marriott is NOT "on the property" per se...you have to catch a shuttle or a cab back and forth...the pace is decent enough otherwise IMO
Feb 22nd, 2010, 09:31 AM

While literally not within the airport, the Marriott is situated within the "arc" of the three EWR terminals. The other airport area hotels are close by, but not quite as close as the Marriott. Through 30Dec10, the Marriott, in conjunction with NJTransit, is offering free round trip tickets to New York Penn Station. The hotel's shuttle connects to the AirTrain, which takes you to the nearby NJTransit station for the ride into NYC. http://tr.im/PlAG